Juneau heli tour cancellation

mommacl

We are booked for a heli glacier fly over tour w/landing on a glacier. We're booked for early in the morning. I've been reading about a lot of fog in Juneau in the mornings. My ?... has anyone had a tour cancelled becaise of fog? What did you do? How far in advance did you know?:confused:

You don't say when you are going to Juneau. The time of the year makes a difference. However, the weather this year has been so poor that there have been many tours cancelled. There was a thread with a poll on this a couple weeks ago.

The tours to the dog sled camps are the most often cancelled tours. Have a Plan B.

The FAA cancelled about 99% of the all the flights when we were in Juneau in May.

??!!!?? (que the sound of scoobie doo), 99%???? what dark warm moist area did you pull this number out of??

a pilot will have limitations based upon if he is carded for vfr (visual flight regulations) or ifr (instrument flight regulations). also, a company will shut down operations if they are concerned that the weather may strand one of their ships on the mountain, their pilots say it's just not worth it, or they would be operating outside of their insurance limitations.

99%? faa? no.

We are booked for a heli glacier fly over tour w/landing on a glacier. We're booked for early in the morning. I've been reading about a lot of fog in Juneau in the mornings. My ?... has anyone had a tour cancelled becaise of fog? What did you do? How far in advance did you know?:confused:

I asked the same question 100 different ways before I booked my Heli.

tour. The answer I kept getting was that it is Alaska & the weather changes all day long. I was told that the tours are less cancelled in Skagway,for what ever reason, but, are cancelled in both places. We took a chance & booked for Skagway. Wouldn't you know that the day we were in Jeneau, was the only day it wasn't raining, and none of the tours were cancelled. When I woke up at 7:00 the day we were in Skagway, I just knew it didn't look good outside. We were docking but I could hardly see land. I called the helicopter company, because we had booked direct with them, and was informed that they were cancelling all flights that morning. I asked if we could reschedule later in the day, and they said they were all booked up. Luckily we had a plan B so the day wasn't a total waste. I say book what ever tour you really want to take, but, keep in the back of your mind that it might be cancelled, and have a plan "B". We just can't control "Mother Nature".

Happy Sailing

The FAA cancelled about 99% of the all the flights when we were in Juneau in May.

The FAA does *not* cancel flights, except in extraordinary situation like 9/11.

It's ultimately up to the pilot whether they fly or not. The tour operator can cancel too, but in a situation where they felt it was OK to fly but the pilot did not agree it would be up to the pilot.

Remember that cancellation, if it saves your life, is not a bad thing.

There is enormous economic pressure on seasonal flight operators to get as many flights in the air as possible, to maximize income during a short tourist season.

The fact that they are willing to cancel is an indication of their concern for safety.

The same steep mountain slopes that make Alaskan scenery so spectacular also make for flight hazards, especially when shrouded in fog. Spatial orientation by the pilot (i.e., Are we upside down or rightside up?) is also a huge problem. (See, e.g., the death of John F. Kennedy, Jr.)

"I'd rather be down there wishing I was up here, than up here wishing I was down there."

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots."

I've had plenty flights cancel. There is NO way to predict, repeat, no way to predict!!!! Go with your scheduled time and see what happens. Always, KNOW what else is available in the port and have an idea of how else to occupy your time. Have some phone numbers and touring information available with you, so as to not waste a lot of time, figuring out activites cold.

We booked a helicoper-glacier hike thru Princess for July 25 in the morning. It was pouring that morning, and a lot of the tour companies cancelled their flights. I was sort of hoping ours would be cancelled too, but we went -- in the rain. This company ended up cancelling the rest of their flights, so we were the last trip (and we got a little extra time on the glacier).

That tour was the highlight of my entire trip. Hiking on the glacier was incredible. The guides were great, they seemed really excited to share "their" glacier with us. I didn't even notice the rain and cold!

Carrie

We did the helicopter on Mendenhall glacier tour too- On July 14 at 1:30 in the afternoon. It was a cloudy day but not foggy and rainy- It too was the highlight of our cruise- Loved It- the guides were great- the pilot- the whole experience- Booked it thru Princess- We lucked out!!

I think in this case we just...go with the flow.

I've taken Buget Queen's suggestion & I'm making an alternate itinerary.

Any ideas what we might try at the spur of the moment?

Have the Tram on my list.

Do not buy your tram tickets until you get to Juneau and see the weather for yourself. The tickets are not refundable if the weather prevents seeing anything.

Yes, though a lot people preferred the tram to other sight seeing due to the rain, when I was in Juneau on Monday, 28-July, and it was raining.

We booked a helicoper-glacier ride from Era helicopters. It was pouring that afternoon, when our HAL Statendam came into Juneau, and a lot of the tour companies cancelled their flights. I was sort of hoping ours would be cancelled too, but we went - in the rain.

The walk on the glacier was the highlight of our trip, but would have loved to have the sunshine that we had in Skagway and Ketchikan, to enjoy the glacier better.

Expensive, but worth it for me.

We're booked for the same tour w/ERA. Was it raining badly? I know this sounds silly, but did you feel safe?

Glad you enjoyed it anyway. We can hardely wait!

Yes, enjoyed it and my first tim ein a Helicopter ... was a tight squeeze for 5 + pilot and they try to change seating on the return trip (depending on the weight of the people) to give all a chance at the window seat.

It was not pouring, but drizzling rain, but still not like a sunny day ... so was difficult taking pictures, video, walking on the clacier (without the rain poncho) .... was like a dream ... just wanted to take in the vast expanse of the glaciers.

.... You will enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived