Ephesus Guides

Hi Everyone, I've checked all the recommended guides for Ephesus and Ekol, Khan and Levent seem to come up the most often. However, we would like to do our own itinerary there. Does anyone know of a tour co. that will customize? Anyone heard of ephesus tours.biz?

Thanks....we leave on 9/22 on Galaxy

Hi,

I think most independent tour guides will customize.

Why not work the other way? Make your plans and send your tour outline to some guides you wouold like to use & then see which ones will accomodate them. :)

The above is exactly what I did. I researched and decided exactly what we wanted to see on our day in Ephesus. For instance, we want to see the site where the Temple of Artemis used to stand, visit the Virgin Mary House, the Terrace House, and do not want lunch included in our tour. We also will go see a rug weaving demo if the guide promises we will not be pressured to buy. So I wrote this out and submitted what I wanted to various tour guides. Several were willing to accomodate us, and so then I chose the one with the best reputation from other recommendations + best price.

We recently had a great day in Ephesus. We booked through EKOL (nur@ekoltravel.com) and had the pleasure of Inan Akinar (inanakpinar@hotmail.com) as our guide. Everything had been arranged in advance through EKOL - Ephesus including the Terrace Houses(the very best part of Ephesus), then a drive to the village of Sirence (Inan gave us an overview, then we wandered and had lunch on our own. Rejoining him, we had a pleasant wine tasting in the village.), then a stop at the Temple of Artemis. Inan asked if we wanted to visit a carpet shop but we declined (no pressure to visit). DH did want to buy a leather jacket and we were taken to a very good quality factory/showroom.

Back in Kusadasi, we stopped at the EKOL office to pay by VISA and met the very polite and accommodating office staff. Great people and wonderful service.

We used Hülya Terzioðlu hulya462002@yahoo.com and customized -- perhaps a bit MORE than usual!!

We went to Srince village which is a lot of fun. Hülya confided that she likes to go up there for her own shopping. Then we visited the Artemission. Although it is in ruins and little remains, the feeling of great power is still there. After that a carpet factory. DW was shopping, but in fact there was no pressure. It was very interesting.

But the final stop we requested was the highlight!! Hülya took us to the ADA SARAY HAMAMI, a genuine Turkish Bath! What an experience.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

I would highly recommend Levent Solmaz. We have used him in the past and he's wonderful. He speaks perfect English, is so knowledgeable, will hand tailor the day based on what YOU want to do allowing more or less time to fit your time schedule. He picks you up at the dock in a newer air conditioned van. You won't regret your time spent with him. He also does tours in Istanbul.

This is his website http://leventsolmaz.com/private-tours/full-day-ephesus-tour-from-kusadasi-harbor/

I would highly recommend Levent Solmaz. We have used him in the past and he's wonderful. He speaks perfect English, is so knowledgeable, will hand tailor the day based on what YOU want to do allowing more or less time to fit your time schedule. He picks you up at the dock in a newer air conditioned van. You won't regret your time spent with him. He also does tours in Istanbul.

This is his website http://leventsolmaz.com/private-tours/full-day-ephesus-tour-from-kusadasi-harbor/

Hello

I do not know what is wrong with him. I sent him 4 -emails up to now but

he did not answer one of them.

So I think I switch to someone else.

Greetings

Sailing on NOTS september 7 2008

I have had numerous e-mails from him over the past month. However I also had difficulty initially. He sent me a copy of the e-mail he'd sent but which I never received. It was either lost in cyberspace or my filter grabbed it. The guides in Turkey often request multiple e-mail addresses from you to avoid any communication issues. I suggest you try again and give him more than one e-mail address for his response.

We scheduled him for a tour but he sent a substitute guide. Substitute was very knowlegeable about history and Ephesus but, somehow, dissuaded us from going on to Srince village after Ephesus. He told the men in our group he did not believe it was worthwhile.... He did take us to a few outlets which we found to be uncomfortable in the sales pitches and overpriced. We ended up cutting our tour short.

To his credit, Mr. Solmaz later emailed me and apologized that he was unable to conduct the tour - because he was ill. (maybe why you are unable to reach him by email?)

The day left us with a not so positive feeling.

We too scheduled Levent but he sent a substitute guide. We were extremely happy with her, and in fact recommend her above Levent. She took us to Srince and said it was her own favorite place to shop for food specialties! She also took us to a marvelous experience at a Hamam -- a real Turkish Bath! Her name was Hülya Terzioðlu hulya462002@yahoo.com and I recommend her highly.

HMMMM -- is it possible that Levent is double booking and then making excuses to send a substitute?

This is making me smile. :D

We are booked with Levent on 26th & 27th of this month. I just heard yesterday he will be with us for Ephesus but we will have a substitute, Cicek, in Istanbul. Has anyone worked with her?

Perhaps he just has a few family commitments at the moment? I'm sure we will enjoy it anyway. :)

Merced Mike- just for curiousity sake, what day was your Ephesus tour scheduled?

You know, I don't really remember. We met Hulya when we arrived at the port, no advance notice. It worked out very well for us, so I am not complaining, just noting the fact.

May I also come in here? I joined a private tour group scheduled with Levent on 31st July. We also had a substitute; Ali, a very knowledgable older gentleman but our enjoyment was also a little less than we had anticipated. On asking about Levent at the end of the tour we were told that he was ill. I echo the sentiments expressed here -- it's very possible that he has had some family commitments but the thought did cross my mind that he may be double-booking? :)

They all double, triple, etc., book. You should not expect to get the name/face you see on their web page or in an e-mail unless it specifically says so. Our correspondence/confirmations use general terms like "you will have an english speaking driver".

Hopefully I should be able to bring back some good reviews in a couple of weeks.

They all double, triple, etc., book. You should not expect to get the name/face you see on their web page or in an e-mail unless it specifically says so. Our correspondence/confirmations use general terms like "you will have an english speaking driver".

Hopefully I should be able to bring back some good reviews in a couple of weeks.

Well,this is true in many places. In Israel, for example, we booked with Avitours but were well aware that Avi himself would not be our guide. When it is clear in advance, I don't have a problem.

However, all our correspondence with Levent indicated that he would be the guide, and never mentioned any other guides. It was not until we actually docked that we learned we had a substitute guide. I can understand this happening now and again, and we had an excellent guide and a great tour.

But -- I am just reading too many posts in which the same thing happened, and one excuse or another was given. If Levent is going to act as a booking agent and book many different guides, and you will not find out the specific guide until you arrive, well and good -- AS LONG as that is made clear on the website and in the correspondence!

• 4 weeks later...

However, all our correspondence with Levent indicated that he would be the guide, and never mentioned any other guides. It was not until we actually docked that we learned we had a substitute guide. I can understand this happening now and again, and we had an excellent guide and a great tour.

But -- I am just reading too many posts in which the same thing happened, and one excuse or another was given. If Levent is going to act as a booking agent and book many different guides, and you will not find out the specific guide until you arrive, well and good -- AS LONG as that is made clear on the website and in the correspondence!

I fully agree with you Mike. If you book with an agent, the guide will be determined by them, but if you book with an individual guide and they confirm, you have only done so because of that guide's reputation and of course you will expect to be guided by them.

Just a quick update as we travelled last week. I was of course prepared to give Levent the benefit of the doubt and he once again apologized and explained about his mother needing an operation the following day when we met up. I had no reason to disbelieve him.

Unfortunately towards the end of the trip he let it slip he would be in Kusadasi the following day with a group of 12. We had therefore been dropped as a more lucrative booking had come along. I really didn't appreciate the deception and it appears from this board that this is becoming more frequent with him. It seems a bit hit and miss whether you will get him even if you book well in advance and confirm. It is highly likely we will be in Izmir again next year, but this time I will look elsewhere.

I contacted Levent several weeks ago to inquire about an October Ephasus tour and he replied quickly and was totally upfront in telling me he had another tour already booked that day but could arrange an associate whose credentials he supplied. Subsequent, communications have also been quickly and completely replied to. Given my experience, to date, I have been very satisfied, but some of these posts are beginning to give me concern.:confused:

Archived