LAX airport hotels?

Eleni2007

Hi there,

Has anybody stayed or is staying at an LAX airport hotel the night prior to the cruise? We land at 11:30 pm and we are considering staying at the airport to relax and catching the super shuttle in the morning.

What hotels do you recommend that are a good price but clean and safe? And have you used priceline in order to book these?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Eleni:)

Click this thread/link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=821216

I'm a personal fan of the Radisson Westside (look for the Culver City/LAX part in the thread above).

I'd book that even without Priceline.

Other than that, any LAX hotel will be the same basic whatever - so if it's for minimal stay any 3 star or above on Priceline will be fine.

Also, what cruiseline are you cruising?

Some of them offer LAX hotel deals, where the price includes their shuttle to the ship in the morning...

In your situation that might be a good option.

I know Princess offers the Marriott at LAX for $69 per person for one night...and includes the transfer to the ship...at least according to their brochure...There's a footnote about taxes being additional...But, assuming that's $138, including transfers, that's probably not a bad deal at all...

OTOH, even arriving late at night, were I coming in from out of town, I'd still consider taking the immediate shuttle down to Pedro and spending the night there...My figuring is this:

I'd rather deal with traffic delays at midnight the night before than in the morning...LAX to San Pedro at midnight is only a 30 minute trip at most...

And, you could always sleep in the next morning in Pedro without worrying about getting to the pier--it's just a short, free hotel shuttle ride. The timing is easy. Check-out time at the hotels is likely around 11:00-noon, so you could just hang around the hotel until you're ready to board the ship.

If you stay at LAX, you'd have to wake up the next day and try to account for timing in getting to the ship. Leave too early and you're waiting at the pier, leave later, you may hit delays...

Good luck...

I have to jump in here and say the my compadre BruinSteve makes very wise points!

If you decide not to stay at LAX then, I am a big fan of sleeping in as late as possible.

I'm a night owl, so his option works for me personally.:cool:

If you're not though, and you're going to sleep ASAP when you get off the plane and then wake up early - that's another thought.

I just don't ever do that, so it's out of my personal realm.:D

I know Princess offers the Marriott at LAX for $69 per person for one night...and includes the transfer to the ship...at least according to their brochure...There's a footnote about taxes being additional...But, assuming that's $138, including transfers, that's probably not a bad deal at all...

OTOH, even arriving late at night, were I coming in from out of town, I'd still consider taking the immediate shuttle down to Pedro and spending the night there...My figuring is this:

I'd rather deal with traffic delays at midnight the night before than in the morning...LAX to San Pedro at midnight is only a 30 minute trip at most...

And, you could always sleep in the next morning in Pedro without worrying about getting to the pier--it's just a short, free hotel shuttle ride. The timing is easy. Check-out time at the hotels is likely around 11:00-noon, so you could just hang around the hotel until you're ready to board the ship.

If you stay at LAX, you'd have to wake up the next day and try to account for timing in getting to the ship. Leave too early and you're waiting at the pier, leave later, you may hit delays...

Good luck...

I have stayed at the Hilton & the Westin LAX.......Got the Westin last Oct on priceline 75.00 4 star will also be staying there this Oct....doing back to back Shapphire.....were also getting in late 10:40....I would stay lax they have hotel shuttle... and there will be no traffic to the ship on a Sat

Rob

On our past cruise (4/08) we did Priceline and ended up with Sheraton Gateway for approximately $90 per night. While the hotel was nicely furnished and convienient, it was one of our worst nights sleep. The bed was horrible. Big dent in the middle and we kept rolling into each other. But the location was great....walking distance from terminal.

Hi there,

Has anybody stayed or is staying at an LAX airport hotel the night prior to the cruise? We land at 11:30 pm and we are considering staying at the airport to relax and catching the super shuttle in the morning.

What hotels do you recommend that are a good price but clean and safe? And have you used priceline in order to book these?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Eleni:)

Eleni: I've stayed at Hacienda Hotel LAX 2x during the 3 week period because I flew out of LAX and went to midwest 7 days and then flew to Hawaii for 7 days. Hacienda has Park n Fly program and is reasonable and clean with a Mission/spanish style motif. Check with tripadvisor.com for reviews and haciendahotel.com for rates. Easy shuttle to and from the Airport as well. Have fun on your cruise.

Has anyone stayed at the La Quinta LAX? Is there anything walkable (restaurants, shopping, drug store) from there? Thanks in advance for any imput. ;)

Carol

Yes there are a couple of strip clubs across the street, if you want some bar food and drinks. Or if you're just in the mood for a lap dance.:eek:

To the East you can see the cars on the freeway racing by 24 hours a day.:(

Down below your window there is a 76 gas station, in case the strip club doesn't have enough food - they have good selection of chips and twinkies.:rolleyes:

And I'm saying all of this to let you know - you really could find a much better hotel or location. Anything on LaCienega right there near the freeway is not going to be ideal.

Better to be closer to the airport and Sepulveda Blvd.

Or better yet, one of the other options above.:D

I have never been to LA so I am totally unfamiliar with the area. We will be flying in a day early for our cruise out of LA to Hawaii. How far is it from LAX to the pier? Is the pier located in San Pedro? I see advice on possibly staying in San Pedro rather than at LAX. We are considering the Marriott deal which includes the transfer to the ship. Any one have experience doing this? Any clarification you can give on the transportation logistics from LAX to the pier would be appreciated!

I have never been to LA so I am totally unfamiliar with the area. We will be flying in a day early for our cruise out of LA to Hawaii. How far is it from LAX to the pier? Is the pier located in San Pedro? I see advice on possibly staying in San Pedro rather than at LAX. We are considering the Marriott deal which includes the transfer to the ship. Any one have experience doing this? Any clarification you can give on the transportation logistics from LAX to the pier would be appreciated!

Princess does leave from the Port of LA in San Pedro (otherwise known as the World Cruise Center). If you are coming in late (and want to just head to bed after your flight gets in), then consider the Princess deal at the Marriott. The one time we stayed there, it was right after our wedding and we had an early flight to Honolulu the next morning. But after a stop in Marina del Rey to view our first sunset as a married couple in a romantic place, we went to the hotel. But late at night, we were hungry (for food, people:rolleyes: ) and the room service menu was very bare (we had to settle for chicken wings and the fruit basket the hotel gifted us for being newlyweds).

If we were flying into LA (we're fortunate enough to live an hour's drive from the port), we would try to stay closer to the port. San Pedro, Long Beach, maybe even Santa Monica (if we wanted to spring for a nice hotel that's close to the Third Street Promenade which would be a good place to experience LA in just a few hours).

Thanks cruisin' chick for the information. I think I read somewhere that it is approx. 20 miles from LAX to the pier. Is that correct? What hotels in San Pedro would you recommend and what is the best way to get to San Pedro? Taxi?

Thanks cruisin' chick for the information. I think I read somewhere that it is approx. 20 miles from LAX to the pier. Is that correct? What hotels in San Pedro would you recommend and what is the best way to get to San Pedro? Taxi?

If you get in late at night, it will only be 20 minutes (if there is no traffic at all), otherwise count on approximately 40 minutes.

Taxi will cost about $65 give or take.

SuperShuttle is $17 per person for a van to share with others.

These are the two best recommended hotels to stay at in San Pedro.

Both have shuttles to and from the hotel to the pier.

Crowne Plaza

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

Doubletree

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

Click on those thread/links under the names to see pictures, info, and reports...

If you get in late at night, it will only be 20 minutes (if there is no traffic at all), otherwise count on approximately 40 minutes.

Taxi will cost about $65 give or take.

SuperShuttle is $17 per person for a van to share with others.

These are the two best recommended hotels to stay at in San Pedro.

Both have shuttles to and from the hotel to the pier.

Crowne Plaza

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

Doubletree

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

Click on those thread/links under the names to see pictures, info, and reports...

We will probably get into LA in the middle of the afternoon. So if we were to take the Super Shuttle to San Pedro to stay at the Double Tree: 1. How do we get a ride from this Super Shuttle? 2. Are there places to eat within walking distance of the Double Tree? I'm trying to read all of the links you are so nicely providing and trying to sort it all out! Thanks for all your help!

You can make a reservation via their website or by phone. But it could be that you just go to the shuttle pickup area that's closest to your terminal (there are several out on the street on the circle drive) and jump on a shuttle. But you may end up going here and there unless you book a private shuttle.

You can make a reservation via their website or by phone. But it could be that you just go to the shuttle pickup area that's closest to your terminal (there are several out on the street on the circle drive) and jump on a shuttle. But you may end up going here and there unless you book a private shuttle.

Is it cheaper for 4 people w/luggage to take the Super Shuttle than taking a cab to San Pedro from LAX?

Archived