Driving NYC to Port Canaveral.. Any advice?

Gina477

Hi everybody,

I am (or should I say DH is) driving from NYC to Port Canaveral in less than two weeks for our cruise on the Carnival Glory. We've never driven longer than 3 or 4 hours anywhere. I wanted some advice on those whom have driven down.

I forgot to mention that we will have our 5 children (ages from 15 - 8 years). How long is the trip? What motel/hotel is best for a short stay? of course the most inexpensive is best. Is it better to drive straight? I am trying to prepare. What kind of snacks should I take for the kids to be satisfied during the drive until we stop for our meals?

Thank you for your help! :D

Gina :)

Hi,

DH and I drive from NJ to FL at least twice a year...partly because I am afraid of flying :o and partly because, at this point, it is cheaper for us to drive. From where we are located, the drive is about 14 hours to Port Canaveral, depending on traffic. We actually have a system down now--we leave home around 4 a.m. and we can make it to PC by 6:00-7:00, depending on how many times we've stopped to rest. We figured out if we go through D.C. around 6:30 in the morning, the traffic isn't nearly as bad. The first couple of times we went through D.C. it was later in the day and we ended up getting stuck for as much as 3 hours :eek: in traffic. For us, the 4a.m. thing works because we still get a few hours of sleep the night before and then we can drive straight through and not be driving overnight.

Since we don't stop along the way, we stay overnight at a La Quinta in Melbourne, FL, which is about 20 minutes from Port Canaveral. We have stayed there so many times that I get about 1 free night/year, so that is a perk. If you want to stop along the way, we have also stayed at a Sleep Inn in Smithfield, NC. This hotel is about 9 hours from PC. The prices are usually very good (around $65-70/night) and the hotel is very clean. It is also right next to an outlet mall, if you want to do some shopping or strolling around, and there are several restaurants in the immediate area.

We don't have kids, so can't help there, but I CAN tell you that I also need to be kept occupied in the car :p, so we usually bring trivia games and things we can play. We pack a cooler with snacks and ice for cool drinks, so we can minimize the time we spend stopping along the way. And it is cheaper that way, too. Oh, and switch off drivers at least every 3 hours or so, so that the driver is always fresh and alert.

Hope this helps! We absolutely love our road trips, we have so many fond memories just from being on the road together, so if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help.

Shana

Thanks Paul for your advice.

Shana - Thank you so much! I think that you have totally helped me get a better idea of what to expect. I already told DH that we need to head out super early! We are leaving on Thursday, 8/21, to give us enough time to get to FL. We sail on 8/23, so I think that should be enough time.

Thanks again :D

Gina

We usually drive Florida to Maine and back once each year, so we can visit people and places along the way.

For you, I'd recommend Florence SC for an overnight stay. There are many affordable motels at the two exits; choose one that includes breakfast for the best value. From there, it's less than eight hours to Port Canaveral.

Then stay overnight in the Cape Canaveral area at one of the hotels that include breakfast, parking and shuttle. This way you don't have to pay to park at the pier. Here is a list, but call to confirm:

Comp parking, but pay for shuttle:

DoubleTree Oceanfront Cocoa Beach 321-783-9222

Ramada Inn & Suites Kennedy Space Center 321-269-5510

Residence Inn Cape Canaveral 321-323-1100

http://www.courtyardcocoabeach.com

http://www.holidayinnsofcentralflorida.com (Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach)

Parking & Shuttle:

http://www.radisson.com/capecanaveralfl

http://www.bestwesterncocoabeach.com (shuttle is comp for two only)

http://www.daysinncocoabeach.com (shuttle is comp for two only)

Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront 321-799-0003

Parking, shuttle & breakfast:

http://www.theinnatcocoabeach.com

http://Www.clarionspacecoast.com

http://www.qualitysuitescocoabeach.com

http://Www.comfortinncocoabeach.com

Parking & breakfast (pay for shuttle)

http://www.hamptoninncocoabeach.com

Econo Lodge Space Center 321-632-4561

Residence Inn

Parking and breakfast, pay for shuttle

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mlbri-residence-inn-cape-canaveral-cocoa-beach/

Country Inn & Suites

nice place, not sure what they include

For the trip, I'd definitely pack a cooler with drinks and snacks (rest stops will kill the pocket book!) Pack a picnic lunch to take a break and stretch legs and budget.

If you have a portable DVD player, that will really help with kids' boredom. We always played games in the car with our kids, too.

Good luck with the drive! And have a terrific cruise!

No problem, Gina! Can you tell I love talking about driving to FL?? :) We just always have so much fun. Two days down will give you plenty of time, so no worries about that.

Forgot to mention, we also try to get as many pictures as possible...every time we drive down we try to get all the landmarks along the way, all the "Welcome to _______" state signs, the funny signs for South of the Border, the giant cigarettes in Richmond, the giant blow-up 7-up can in Jacksonville...and every time I manage to miss at least 3/4 of them. Always good for a laugh in our car. That might be something fun to do with the kids if you have a camera or two.

Also I remembered when we used to drive to FL when I was a kid, my mom would buy me small presents for along the way to keep me occupied. Nothing extravagant, more like dollar store items, but she wrapped them up, and I got to open one each time we passed into a new state, so that might work for you, too.

Have a great (and safe) drive, and a great cruise!!

If your kids have their various electronic gadgets (ipods, dvd players and portable video games), I would pick up a small power inverter that lets you plug into the lighter and put a household plug into it for charging batteries. A lighter splitter with 2 or 3 lighter outlets on it might be a good idea as well.

Not sure how you feel about driving, since you hint that your husband will be doing it, but don't let him be a hero. Especially if you guys aren't used to a drive like this. Give him a break and take the wheel for a couple hours, or insist on stopping, say, when the gas gauge gets to half. I drive for a living and always drive when the family goes somewhere, but when we take our 20 hour drive to eastern Canada, I still let my wife take turns.

I have made the drive from RI to Orlando many times. It will take about 20-22 hours with minimal stops and no traffic. Rocky Mount NC is the halfway point. With the kids I would plan on stopping at least every 2 hours for stretching and bathroom duty. Make sure to bring drinks and light snacks. Have the driver avoid anything high in carbs and any of the energy drinks since they are only a quick high followed by a crash. Make sure that someone else is awake with the driver to help them with navigation and to make sure they stay alert. Once you get through DC it is pretty smoot sailing all the way to Jacksonville. There are plenty of inexpesive motels once you get south of Virginia. Just pull off when needed. Enjoy your cruise.

Another tip is to freeze a few bottles of water or juice for your cooler. These double up as ice packs to keep your fresh snacks cold and they will defrost slowly. Depending on temperatures, a large bottle of water frozen may stay cool overnight. Your motel may have an ice box in the room so that you can freeze drinks overnight too.

Avoid drinks that could cause hyperactivity, if possible ie some brands of squash. Bring pillows and covers so that they can nap in comfort.

If one of you is bringing a laptop, get the kids to trawl through the CC forums and make a note of money saving and other tips that would be relevant for your cruise and to locate information about your ship and each port of call.

Carol

You guys are AWESOME! I'm glad I asked!

Carol - I love this idea. I am trying to see if I can borrow my brother's laptop.

Twelvevman - I'm definitely going to be the person awake helping with the Navigation. I'm checking the motel/hotels in Rocky Mount to see what are the prices now. I think I may be outta luck since it's so close.

DanJ - The outlet idea is awesome! I am going to find it this weekend. The kids each have Nintendo DS's and Ipods. I'm also bringing books so they can get some reading in, although I doubt it. Unfortunately, I don't have my license (what a shame :(). I only have a permit, but, I will see if the road is quiet, I might get some driving done.

Gottaluvcruising - I'm actually booked at the Radisson for that Friday. I haven't looked into the others because I thought they were too far and didn't offer the Cruise parking. I am doing that research now as we speak. I will look today to see if I can find something cheaper!! :D

Thanks again everyone!!

Gina

we have also stayed at a Sleep Inn in Smithfield, NC. This hotel is about 9 hours from PC. The prices are usually very good (around $65-70/night) and the hotel is very clean. It is also right next to an outlet mall, if you want to do some shopping or strolling around, and there are several restaurants in the immediate area.

Shana

This is also the same exit as JR's http://www.jrselma.com/index.cfm which always makes for an interresting stop. It is about 1 hour south of Rocky Mount so it is right around the halfway mark.

Ahhh - JR'S! I wouldn't do a trip without a stop at my favorite store :D We do this trip at least twice a year - once for the Daytona 500 and at least once for a cruise (although we're doing cruises from closer to home this year). We share the driving and stop every couple of hours to stretch. We don't have kids so don't have any advice there. We avoid the DC area by using Rte. 301.

I drove my parents from NYC to Myrtle Beach via Gettysburg, DC and Raleigh a couple of years ago. They're elderly so couldn't handle a straight through run. My advice (in addition to what's been said already) would be:

1. If you need to make an overnight stop look for suite hotels like Embassy Suites, Residence Inn etc. That way you may get away with paying for one room rather than two, and the price could be the same. Most of these type of hotels include breakfast in the room rate. You can often get excellent rates booking on the internet. We paid $200 for a 1 bedroom suite in the heart of Washington DC - a real bargain and considerably cheaper than 2 rooms (it also included dinner).

2. Pack the drinks and snacks as suggested, but avoid sugar and artificial colors and flavors - the last thing you want is a bunch of tweens and teens with sugar highs kicking the back of the driver's seat screaming "Are we there yet?" Gatorade is a huge no no, it's nothing but sugar dissolved in water. Unsweetened fruit juice, water, fruit (fresh and dried) and sandwiches are good options.

3. If you don't have a GPS navigation system, make sure you print out the directions from Mapquest, Google Maps, or Yahoo Maps before you go. Print several copies and leave them in strategic places.

4. Several days before you set out, type up a driver's check list. Include everything you'll need to take, passports, tickets, hotel reservations, credit cards etc. Before you start the car, make sure you and the driver go through the list and tick off each item. Make like an airline pilot and co-pilot doing the pre-departure check. You'll thank me for this when you don't forget anything that would necessitate turning around.

5. Pack all the luggage at least the day before. You may want to start now and make a check list of things to pack. Pack as light as you can. With seven people there's going to be a lot anyway, and the lighter you pack, the less gas you'll use.

6. Don't fill your gas tank before you put the car in the long term lot. People have been stealing gas. Wait until you get back and fill up as you head home.

7. Get plenty of rest the night before you set out, both ways. If you're heading straight back after the cruise, this is especially important.

8. Have a fantastic holiday and come back to New York refreshed and relaxed.

Thank all of you for your advice!

NYCFOD - the checklist is a great idea. I'm starting it as I type. I am really trying to pack as light as possible.

Twelvevman- Thanks for the link to JR's. Definitely something I will be looking into.

I can't thank you guys enough for the help. The closer the date gets, the more anxious I get. I start to thinking of all the issues that may arise and get all outta whack! Hopefully, I will be ok and prepared.

Gina

one moe hint, actually this is something you must do.

Have the car/van, checked out, oil, gas, tires belts battery etc. Also windshield wipers. Our didn't work once, and it was not fun trying to drive I95 and see.

Good question OP...

I will be driving to Miami next year for our cruise.. From central VA I am figuring about 14 or so hours.. I will be doing it straight through.. (Figuring on a 3 AM departure)

Here is a word of advice for you.. While traveling through Virginia you can usually get by with 5 or 6 over the limit without any problems..

HOWEVER

Between the 20 Mile marker and the North Carolina State Line the coppers are nasty.. (On interstate 95) Both State and the locals are out in this stretch heavy and they just love those from NY and NJ. I strongly suggest that you set the cruise at 64MPH and cruise these 20 miles.. After that you are on your own..

Just a thought

Gina, I was reading back and came across the one where you mentioned that you did not have a license however had a permit.. I would look really close, that NY Permit is only good in NY, if you get caught driving outside of the state, you could be in some real trouble.. Just a thought...

We do this trip almost every year. When we go down I95, we usually stop in Santee, SC. That's pushing it a little but then the second day seems to go really fast. We stop at the Best Western there and our car is parked right in front of our room, which is what we want. The rooms are clean. They have a very nice pool and a good breakfast.

These days we are going the back way, aka the long way, because I95 seems soooo congested.

I don't know if this works for you but we have a minivan and we put down the two middle seats (stow & go), or you can take them out, and then my husband made a stand and we put a little tv on the stand and hook up ps3 or xbox or game cube, whatever, and the kids are fine and don't even want to stop. It's a special treat for them and makes the trip much more enjoyable for them.

You can also get a portable DVD player.

Have fun. It's not a bad ride. It's the beginning of vacation. We look forward to it.

Diane

Mike - Thanks for the heads up in NC, I am going to let DH know that he should use cruise control to avoid any cops pulling us over. I'm sure they love to snag us from NY & NJ. I'll try to find any info on speed limits, although I'm not sure if I will be able to find it online.

Diane - We do have a portable DVD player and the kids do have their Nintendo DS's and MP3 players. I never thought about the PS2 or Xbox though. Thanks for the idea. I don't think that I would go the long route only because it's our first trip down and I don't want to get lost. :D

Thanks everyone for your helpful ideas. I already have a list of do's and don'ts. I am so looking forward to the trip!!

Gina

One thing to watch out for on the drive -- when my children are in the car with the books, movies, etc. to keep them entertained -- they tend to get car sick, even though a regular drive of 2-3 hours doesn't bother them. We throw in some extra plastic bags 'just in case', have a change of clothes easily accessible, and also bring some washcloths to dip in the water in the cooler which they place on their forehead to feel a bit better. And we finally learned to give my younger one the dramamine before we even pull out of the garage. If it makes her sleepy for the drive - no big deal. (she's fine on the ship though!)

Small boxes of cereal are a good snack - I agree with other posters to stay away from sugary snacks. Bottles of water work best for us, if they spill it's no big deal.

We've also played some license plate bingo along I-95 to kill some time(make some boards up before you leave). Winner gets a small trinket as a prize or gets to pick where to have lunch/dinner, etc.

Good question OP...

I will be driving to Miami next year for our cruise.. From central VA I am figuring about 14 or so hours.. I will be doing it straight through.. (Figuring on a 3 AM departure)

Here is a word of advice for you.. While traveling through Virginia you can usually get by with 5 or 6 over the limit without any problems..

HOWEVER

Between the 20 Mile marker and the North Carolina State Line the coppers are nasty.. (On interstate 95) Both State and the locals are out in this stretch heavy and they just love those from NY and NJ. I strongly suggest that you set the cruise at 64MPH and cruise these 20 miles.. After that you are on your own..

Just a thought

When I drove down from NYC to South Carolina in 2006, all my NY friends told me to stick strictly to the speed limit south of the Mason-Dixon Line. They were of the view that the police in the South love nothing better than citing Northerners for speeding. The last thing you want to do is spend some of your hard earned cruise money enriching state coffers unnecessarily. Also your car is going to be pretty heavy with seven of you in it, from experience this and going fast will use a lot more gas.

Hi everybody,

I am (or should I say DH is) driving from NYC to Port Canaveral in less than two weeks for our cruise on the Carnival Glory. We've never driven longer than 3 or 4 hours anywhere. I wanted some advice on those whom have driven down.

I forgot to mention that we will have our 5 children (ages from 15 - 8 years). How long is the trip? What motel/hotel is best for a short stay? of course the most inexpensive is best. Is it better to drive straight? I am trying to prepare. What kind of snacks should I take for the kids to be satisfied during the drive until we stop for our meals?

Thank you for your help! :D

Gina,

Some ideas for you...

Have a family meeting and explain to all that this is an adventure and that while you have done your best to prepare, you do not have all the answers. Get all the kids involved, that is, listen to what they have to say about all of this.

Look at the Embassy Suites and Homewood Suites, Candlewood Suites and other all suite hotels as this wil give you more room as compared to regular motel rooms.

As much as possible find hotels that have swimming pools, so that the family can look forward to a nice swim after a day on the road. This worked very well for us when our children were little and we went on road trips.

Look at the travel websites for special deals on hotels.

Ask for help as to the best way to get around Washigton DC, as there is always heavy traffic in this area.

Do not let the gas gauge go lower than a third of a tank. You are going into some rural parts of our great USA, and this means that gas stations are not as plentiful as in urban areas. My inattention on two trips almost caused us major problems...outside of Lexington Kentucky, and Vail Colorado.

Do not drive straight through. It is about 1,100 miles from NYC to Port Canaveral, and 10 hours on the road is a good day's driving. And if possible you should be off the road by 6:00 PM in time for a swim and a nice dinner. Get an early start each morning.

Keep regular meal times, both on the road and on the ship.

AND, be all together, high up on the ship, and stand in the wind as the ship sets out to sea.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I have to agree with the previous poster's advice on NOT speeding in NC. The same advice goes for South Carolina and Georgia. I lived there for 3 years, and got a speeding ticket every year and so did my husband !! Prior to that I had only one in more than 15 years. Particular trouble spot is 95 south from Charleston, SC through Georgia to the Florida border, about a 3 hour stretch. The speed limit drops from 70 to 65 in a couple places, and can take you by suprise.

Places to see:

Don't miss the Welcome center after you pass into Florida, its a big clean rest stop with free orange or grapefruit juice and tons of travel info for another vacation.

You may want to stop and check out Daytona Beach, its a short detour off 95, and its such beautiful and famous beach.

Enjoy the trip, getting to your vacation is always half the fun.

IMO:

(1) Have a brief family meeting and everyone agrees, while holding hands, that any fatigue-related fights and spats and stuff like that stays in the car and is forgotten when you get out.

(2) No, repeat no, carbonated beverages. That means soda or pop or tonic, or whatever you people call it. It goes in one end and out the other rather quickly. Also, it does not hydrate you because it passes so quickly.

(3) My parents -yes, my parents- in their middle age and later used to play the license plate game. Mom kept the list. In parking lots, rest areas, etc, it kept us kids walking around and that was a good thing.

(4) Take a roll of t.p. and teach the kids how to take a pee on the Interstate: The driver pulls over to the breakdown lane on a left curve, you open both right-hand doors and take care of business between them. You want to be mildly embarassed, or you want to hurt badly for the next 38 miles? Well? Anything more serious, that's why God invented bushes.

Spoken from experience.

IMO:

(1) Have a brief family meeting and everyone agrees, while holding hands, that any fatigue-related fights and spats and stuff like that stays in the car and is forgotten when you get out.

(2) No, repeat no, carbonated beverages. That means soda or pop or tonic, or whatever you people call it. It goes in one end and out the other rather quickly. Also, it does not hydrate you because it passes so quickly.

(3) My parents -yes, my parents- in their middle age and later used to play the license plate game. Mom kept the list. In parking lots, rest areas, etc, it kept us kids walking around and that was a good thing.

(4) Take a roll of t.p. and teach the kids how to take a pee on the Interstate: The driver pulls over to the breakdown lane on a left curve, you open both right-hand doors and take care of business between them. You want to be mildly embarassed, or you want to hurt badly for the next 38 miles? Well? Anything more serious, that's why God invented bushes.

Spoken from experience.

LOL! This is by far the most honest and funny post! I love it. And it so true. I have no shame in pulling over and going behind a bush to handle those calls of nature. Definitely will take that into consideration!!

Gina:D

Archived