HAL transfer from ship to Copenhagen airport

scamper01

We did an Alaskan cruise with HAL last summer and enjoyed every bit of the ship, the crew, the scenery and food. However when we left the ship and took the HAL transfer to SEA I was very disappointed with being unloaded at a tent with all my luggage plus my friend in a wheelchair. It took over 40 minutes to check the bags and then I had to push the wheelchair up an incline for some distance and into the airport. We are traveling on a 28 day Baltic cruise which ends in Copenhagen next May. Can someone give me details concerning HAL transfer from the ship to that airport? Are you also dumped with your luggage outside the airport and no where near curbside check-in? Thanks

We just got back from COPENHAGEN doing the big E and they drop us off at the overhang, across the street from the terminal and it was pouring rain and it was mass confusion, hardly anyone could find their bags and everyone was getting soaked and i do mean soaked.

HAL should be ashamed of themselves for droping the bags in this manner they should have put them inside, the color and numbers were mixed up.

I disembarked from the E-dam in Copenhagen in July. This is how it went for me:

The luggage was sent on ahead to the airport where it was lined up in an orderly fashion. There were plenty of luggage carriers available.

The bus let us off in front of terminal 2, with terminal 3 (mine) a goodly walk away. I had to get a carrier, backtrack away from terminal 3 to get my luggage, then find my way to the sidewalk to start treking.

I have difficulty walking, but was able to use the carrier as a walker. Had I needed a wheelchair it would have been a much worse situation.

My advice is to plan to take a cab to the airport. Have HAL provide wheelchair assistance disembarking, claim your luggage at the pier, then have your cab drop you off right at the correct terminal.

I was on SAS, and there was a separate line/check-in desk for those needing a wheelchair (by then I truly needed it). Once I made it to the correct line things went all right. Getting there was not fun.

If more ships are docked in Copenhagen that day there will be a shortage of cabs.

When we disembarked Eurodam the line for cabs was huge and we were told it would take over 1 hour before we could get a cab.

We didnot have much luggage so walked outside the terminal and got a cab there. (the dirver however overcharged us....)

I have heard that the taxis in Copenhagen are small. My husband and I will have three large suitcases plus two carry-ons. Will they fit in one of their cabs?. Maybe some of the cabs are vans? The answer will be one of the deciding factors in whether we purchase a HAL transfer or just cab it.

We travelled on Veendam last summer R/T Copenhagen. A Cab to the ship for for adults (small van) handled all luggage but we advised the concierge in advance of our needs.This was NOT a very big taxi but it did the job. My wife and I took the HALtransfer to the airport from the ship and were dumped outside and left to handle our own bags. Our friends opted to take a cab to the airport and arrived ahead of us and were left closer to the terminal doors.

Hey - we may be cruising with you! We just put in our deposit for the transatlantic and Baltic combination which is 28 days. I have not heard anything about a tent but I know we had one in Rome last summer, but they are more civilized in some parts of Europe so you may be in luck.

We like as much control as possible when we transfer to or from the ship and always arrange our own transportation. You are less likely to have your baggage mishandled, and we just feel more secure for a host of reasons.

I know people will say they have taken ships transfers and things were simply wonderful! Well, I'm delighted and more power to them.

I would recommend for Copenhagen you organize a limo pick-up at the ship. You will be transported point to point, you will know you have all of your stuff with you and the driver will be waiting for you when you get off ship.

You can find such companies on the internet.

The very best time to take a ships transfer is on those rare occasions when they book a reception room at a hotel when most of the passengers have an evening flight, such as from Rio. THAT is a nice touch. You spend your waiting time in a hotel rather than at the airport which is a big help if you don't have access to a business class lounge.

Whatever you choose to do, hope things go well.

Smooth sailing...

Archived