Should Solo Cruisers Tip Extra?

xon fedaa

Oh wow, Lois. I do remember that incident, but I didn't realize you were on the ship at that time. Did they actually pull the captain off the ship? Who took over?

Hi Darcie, a letter was sent out to all the passengers that

safety of the pax was the #1 priority. They did not use

the words "failed the breathalizer" but the Coast Guard removed

him, yes.

Who took over? 2nd in command...Staff Captain.

After the fact, I heard the test was faulty and supposedly he

sued....but its really the point that the Capt is not supposed to

have any alcohol whatsoever within 24 hours of sailing.

None, nada, zilch.....why would you even sip something?:eek:

Yes, I was on that sailing.

Some lines up the daily tip by $1 per day for solos. The only one you need to include in any extra tip is the room steward, as a solo doesn't impact the number of passengers a waiter serves. I don't feel it's fair to the hard working room stewards to miss out on one full tip, because I choose to sail solo. And it's also not the room steward's fault that the cruise line charges a single supplement, so why take it out on him/her?

I'm with you, Darcie. It's not the steward's fault if I'm occupying the cabin alone, and I won't be the reason why they can't count on receiving full tips for all the cabins under their charge (especially if they have carried out their duties well).

Dining room gratuities are another matter, however. I usually sit at full tables, so I tip only for my place at that table.

And while we're on the subject of wait staff, I will give at least the minimum amount for each day of the sailing, regardless of whether I am in the dining room every evening or not. I always give gratuities in cash - I just do not care for the auto-tipping thing . . . I like to be able to say "thank you" to them personally, as I hand out envelopes.:)

DH used to leave the auto tip on, saved having so much cash. However,

he (we) always added some extra in an envelope to go with our last evening's

'thank you's. Now I'm learning to handle bills, tipping, etc. on my own.

Dining room gratuities are another matter, however. I usually sit at full tables, so I tip only for my place at that table.

And while we're on the subject of wait staff, I will give at least the minimum amount for each day of the sailing, regardless of whether I am in the dining room every evening or not. I always give gratuities in cash - I just do not care for the auto-tipping thing . . . I like to be able to say "thank you" to them personally, as I hand out envelopes.:)

Hi Sue, I've asked specifically on RCCI, Celebrity, Princess and Crystal if they pool their tips and the answer was, No. They get to keep every dollar of the tips they receive.

This may have been true at one time on Princess but it is not true any longer. The system on Princess is this: The auto tip is automatically applied (per person). If you choose to have the auto tip removed, then any tips you personally hand out must be handed over and are pooled and distributed with all the rest. However, if you leave the auto tip on, then anything extra that you give can be kept by the recipient. I have asked how this is enforced but apparently (according to a Princess staffer) there is a good amount of peer pressure as everyone wants what they perceive as their fair share.

I have not cruised solo yet but am planning to in the near future. I would probably leave the auto tip in place and hand out extra where I thought it was deserved (particularly the steward and my favorite bartender....)

Interesting ideas. I've only sailed solo once, and that was when DH couldn't go as planned so I went alone--loved it actually. I anticipate solo cruising again in the next few years.

I confess it never occurred to me to double tip on my one solo cruise. Maybe it's just that I was still fairly inexperienced. I still don't think I would, but I'm not sure why I feel that way. It shouldn't be an issue for quite a while which will give me time to decide.

This may have been true at one time on Princess but it is not true any longer. The system on Princess is this: The auto tip is automatically applied (per person). If you choose to have the auto tip removed, then any tips you personally hand out must be handed over and are pooled and distributed with all the rest. However, if you leave the auto tip on, then anything extra that you give can be kept by the recipient. I have asked how this is enforced but apparently (according to a Princess staffer) there is a good amount of peer pressure as everyone wants what they perceive as their fair share.

I have not cruised solo yet but am planning to in the near future. I would probably leave the auto tip in place and hand out extra where I thought it was deserved (particularly the steward and my favorite bartender....)

Exactly correct.

If the cruise ship management learns of an abuse of the pooling rule it's cause for termination.

Tip pooling is not unique to cruise ships. Many land based restaurants use the same process.

Sidebar: The cabin steward is informed by his/her supervisor of pax who reduce or remove autotips. The stewards know who's been naughty or nice. :D

I was under the assumption that tips were pooled, and then divided. Is that true? If they are pooled then divided the loss of the tips from a few solo cabins, I would think not make much of a different.

Hi,:) Which cruiseline are you asking about?

Each company is different. I sail with Celebrity

and when I asked about this a few years ago was

told they are not pooled.

Going in 3 weeks and I am inquiring again

to see if things are as they were.

Hi,:) Which cruiseline are you asking about?

Each company is different. I sail with Celebrity

and when I asked about this a few years ago was

told they are not pooled.

Going in 3 weeks and I am inquiring again

to see if things are as they were.

Sorry about that, Most of the cruises I've taken in the past few years, were on Cunard, Carnival, NCL and Princess. All of them add the tips to your on board account. I've only done one cruise on RCCL in 2005 that I remember giving my own tips, but I roomed with three friends, so I would guess the cabin steward did a little better than a cabin that had just two.

Tipping extra s/b considered if you get extra attention just as at home when service is superior, one always tips extra.

While travelling solo last March, I tipped my cabin steward extra because she was extra attentive and checked on me to make sure that I was alright when she didn't see me leave for dinner as usual one evening. As a travelling senior, the extra attention was very much appreciated and I felt warranted the extra which was put in a separate envelope & given directly to her on my last nite.

When I went solo on RCI in May, my dining table was 2 couples, myself and a missing "tall, dark and handsome" guy according to my waiter! ;) We were all first-time cruisers and one of the couples asked about the auto-tipping. The waiter said he prefered it - it was like having his pay go thru a direct-deposit system. So I did the auto-tips plus some extra cash for my waiter and assistant, who were the people I saw the most and did the most for me!

I cruise solo about 75% of the time and I always tip my cabin service personnel extra but not necessarily the dining room personnel. That depends on the level of service there.

Also, I, too, used to prefer tipping in cash in person with personal thank you notes on the last night of the cruise, but after a close friend who is an assistant maître d' with a large upscale cruise line explained how much the dining room staff really dislike that method and MUCH prefer auto-tips, I have changed my M.O. Most of the time I end up giving extra in person in cash anyway but the suggested minimum amount is always now added automatically to my shipboard account.

Nadalina, we can mention cruiselines on here:)

I would really be curious to know who which line your

friend works on.

I have a couple of friends who work on the ship I am going

on in 2 weeks. (Sailing on Celebrity). I will ask them the same

thing as I have NEVER auto-tipped.

Nadalina, we can mention cruiselines on here:)

I would really be curious to know who which line your

friend works on.

I have a couple of friends who work on the ship I am going

on in 2 weeks. (Sailing on Celebrity). I will ask them the same

thing as I have NEVER auto-tipped.

Hi Lois. He was with Celebrity for many years but has been with Crystal for the past five years. The way he explained it to me, auto-tipping accomplishes three things: 1.) It allows the crew to be more assured of their income each cruise, based on how many guests are in their section, rather than worrying and wondering how much they will make and whether some will leave without giving them anything; 2.) It allows them focus on providing the best level of service possible rather than worrying about the money; and 3.) They do not have to wait around and make themselves available to all of their guests, especially when they also have pressing duties to perform, waiting and hoping everyone in their section will give them the much-awaited envelope. My friend said it feels so embarrassing, awkward and uncomfortable to stand there, like hanging around with their hands out.

After he explained it to me like that, that's when I changed. I had honestly never given it much thought until then, but he has been part of a dining room crew on cruise ships since starting out as a busboy on the Horizon in 1992 and his experience and knowledge in this area is extensive, so I trust what he tells me completely. Plus now he has many waiters and asst. waiters under his supervision and he knows how they feel as well. Of course, this is not to say that all crew members feel the same way, but it does provide a little bit of insight as to some of their points of view. I'll be interested in hearing what you learn as well.

Peggy

Hi Lois. He was with Celebrity for many years but has been with Crystal for the past five years. The way he explained it to me, auto-tipping accomplishes three things: 1.) It allows the crew to be more assured of their income each cruise, based on how many guests are in their section, rather than worrying and wondering how much they will make and whether some will leave without giving them anything; 2.) It allows them focus on providing the best level of service possible rather than worrying about the money; and 3.) They do not have to wait around and make themselves available to all of their guests, especially when they also have pressing duties to perform, waiting and hoping everyone in their section will give them the much-awaited envelope. My friend said it feels so embarrassing, awkward and uncomfortable to stand there, like hanging around with their hands out.

After he explained it to me like that, that's when I changed. I had honestly never given it much thought until then, but he has been part of a dining room crew on cruise ships since starting out as a busboy on the Horizon in 1992 and his experience and knowledge in this area is extensive, so I trust what he tells me completely. Plus now he has many waiters and asst. waiters under his supervision and he knows how they feel as well. Of course, this is not to say that all crew members feel the same way, but it does provide a little bit of insight as to some of their points of view. I'll be interested in hearing what you learn as well.

Peggy

Peggy, thanks for the explanation:) although as you stated

not all the wait staff might feel as he does.

I have my own views on it though....I realize I don't

work on the ship;)

After 15 cruises with Celebrity, my wait staff has never

needed to "wait around" for me...actually I usually wait

for them..LOL....I always seem to get along famously:D

with my wait staff and have had the same waiters on

more than 1 cruise so they know me from prior sailings

which really makes things great:) We give hugs and stuff

and rather than ever saying good bye, its always

"until the next sailing":)

I will see who my wait staff is in 2 weeks and will

specifically ask them about this topic.

You are right, Lois, being a repeat guest on a ship, knowing the crew and them knowing you makes all the difference in the world, especially, I feel, in the dining room. I took my first cruise in January of 1991 on the Horizon and for many years cruised only with Celebrity. For me, whenever I step onboard, it's like my home away from home. But all of my favorite captains are gone now as are most of my favorite people in the dining room, so I no longer cruise exclusively with Celebrity any more. I have 31 cruises so far with Celebrity and about 20 with other lines, but I do still feel Celebrity offers the best overall experience for your money of all of the other lines I have tried, without any doubt.

Hope you have a wonderful upcoming cruise on the Mercury!

Peggy

I suppose I should mention that RCI provides envelopes and vouchers for each crew member for the auto-tip program. I added some extra cash and wrote at least "Thank You (name)!" on each before I handed them out. Our waiter and assistant did say good bye to us and let us get some photos with both before we left the last night - which was really nice of them! I just left the one for my cabin steward in my cabin - I only saw him once during the 5 days!

I suppose I should mention that RCI provides envelopes and vouchers for each crew member for the auto-tip program. I added some extra cash and wrote at least "Thank You (name)!" on each before I handed them out. Our waiter and assistant did say good bye to us and let us get some photos with both before we left the last night - which was really nice of them! I just left the one for my cabin steward in my cabin - I only saw him once during the 5 days!

Hi Kristin. I really like having the vouchers, don't you? I just returned from a Med cruise on the Costa Magica, my first with Costa, and they did not provide anything at all other than showing the amount charged to our onboard acct. And what made it even worse was that when we asked our waiter if he had been given a list of guests who had paid, he said he knew nothing about who had paid and who had not. However, auto-tipping was their policy so maybe the crew were only given lists of anyone who had their tips removed from their accounts. In any case, in my opinion, if the cruise line is going to require auto-tipping, then they definitely should provide the vouchers.

My husband and I were on AOS last April and OUR service in the dining room was very bad, something I never experienced with my exclusive cruising with RCCL in the past. Hence, we did not go every night. When we showed up for formal night, our waiter asked us for our room number and I thought that very strange and reported him. We got a telephone call the following week from a representative of RCCL explaining that this was uncalled for by our waiter and he thanked us for telling him what transpired. As for auto tipping, I was very glad that we did not use it on that occasion. On EVERY cruise I have taken with them, I have left the money in the envelopes, in addition to tipping in cash personally for good service early on in the cruise when I got the impression that we would receive the service we were entitled to. A cruise, to me, is like anywhere on land. You tip by the quality of service you get.

• 3 months later...
Hi Lois. He was with Celebrity for many years but has been with Crystal for the past five years. The way he explained it to me, auto-tipping accomplishes three things:Peggy

Peggy, Crystal does not have auto tipping. I've been on 17 Crystal cruises as a solo, the last one this past July on Symphony, and I know for an absolute fact that auto tipping has never been done on Crystal. Perhaps there's a confusion between auto tipping and placing your tips on your on board account on your own, rather than tipping in cash? Crystal does have that option, where you fill out a form half way through your cruise, indicating whom you wish to tip and the amount and then the day before your last day on board, you're given cards that you can present to those crew members indicating the amount of your tip, or you can keep the cards for your own records. But auto tipping is where the cruise lines automatically put a certain amount per day on your account, without your input or approval whatsoever---you have no choice but to tip what the cruise line demands. That's what NCL does, and I believe it's something like $10.75 per person per day. But Crystal does not do this, as they allow their guests to decide how much to tip their crew. So perhaps your friend meant that he prefers when guests put their gratuities on their sign and sail cards rather than tip in cash.

Having cruised Orient Lines exclusively has not prepared me for other lines. They had auto-tipping for one year only. It obviously did not work well there. Envelopes were available with the title, waiter, asst. waiter, cabin steward and Maitre d' with suggested daily amounts.

As I have travelled solo for the last 4 years, I have made a decision about what I think is an appropriate tip per day for each and multiplied it by the number of days. If it is an odd amount I usually round it out.

On the final voyage my cabin steward thanked me profusely for tipping him for two people. He was my cabin steward on three cruises. This was not a thought when I made my decision, I just tipped what I thought was deserved.

Fran

NCL is changing their auto-tip from $10pp/pd to $12 for adults and from $5 per child/pd to $12.

franu, are you serious? NCL is now going to make children pay the same gratuities as adults? I'm very surprised by that, and I bet the many families that cruise NCL aren't going to be happy. Over on the family board they are always arguing as to why kids sharing the same cabin as their parents have to pay gratuities in the first place. Wait until they hear this one !!

Sorry if this has been discussed before - i looked but could not find it if it had.

Should solo cruisers tip extra? Case in point: I'm taking the 32-day San Diego to Rome cruise in February 2009. With two persons in the stateroom, all those on the receiving end of the $10 per day gratuity charge would split $640 (unadjusted). But since I'm going solo (my first time!), if I don't increase the automatic $10 per day, they will only receive $320 at trip's end.

Yes, I know some will say they have less work to do for only one person rather than for two, but only to a point. For example, while the room steward will only have to change/make one bed per day, he/she will still have to clean/straighten up the bathroom, cabin, and balcony (and, believe me, I can be every bit as messy as two people;), water/replace the fresh flowers, make towel animals (how I love those towel animals:D), and, of course, put out mints (okay, that last one was supposed to be a joke).

So, do any of you solo cruisers have any thoughts on this? Appreciate hearing from you.

Happy cruising!

I haven't read all the responses but agree with Darcie that the cabin attendant should not get less b/c I'm solo cruising. Except for the cruise I just got back from on Friday I've always used the auto tip and added cash on top for the cabin attendant. My last cruise I didn't use auto tip but all cash which I actually like better b/c I need cash for the bartenders and other wait staff that aren't included in the auto tip.

Now, let me ask this: RCI has a soda card which I always buy. Generally I fall into a daily routine on cruises and find that I go to the same bars for soda. There is no tag written up, so no tip. At the end of the cruise I slip my soda bartenders a $20. Anyone else tip when using a soda card?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use a soda card, but I've read here that some people do tip when using it. I think tips are included (but check that - it may depend on the line). I know I've read about someone holding out the card with an extra $1 to get his drink faster early in the cruise. Once the staff began to recognize him, he only did it every few times. I thought that was an interesting way to get service!

Archived