Alexandria Must See

MVPinBoynton

We will be having some free time in Alexandria after our organized tour next month. We will be visiting the Library, Citadel, Pompey's Pillar and the Roman Amphitheater. Are there any other "must see" places to go to that aren't too difficult to get to from downtown Alexandria? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Not yet. When we stopped in Alexandria before, we did an overnight in Cairo and had no time to sightsee when we got back to Alex (as we had hoped). On our land trip, we didn't go to Alex. But I plan to do a Holy Lands cruise in the next few years and if there is a stop in Alex it is definitely on my list, as I said previously.

For the second year in a row we were in Alexandria a few months ago.

As part of this years tour we saw the Catacombs. This was our first stop. I would say it was about a 30 minute drive from the ship and that might not have been a direct route as they were pointing out other sites along the way. It was a great site to see.

We also saw some of the other places that are on your organzed tour. Highlights were the library and the roman Amphitheater. It is amazing how much they continue to discover at the amphitheater site.

I thought that Citadel was ok, but think the other sites were outstanding.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks so much for your comments. I will try to do the catacombs. How long does it take to do? Is there any other "Must See" you think I should try to fin in?

We were there for about 90 minutes with our tour guide. You could spend less time there if you need to.

I would say those are the must see sites that we saw. There are some nice parts to the city if you just want to walk around for a while. There was an area that I want to say was close to the Citadel where there were many boats in that part of the harbor that looked like a nice place to walk around.

Keith

We will also be in Alexandria next month, sailing on Journey Sept. 13th from Athens. Are you on the same cruise?

We also live in Boynton Beach. My "handle" represents where we used to live before moving to BB in '01

Archived