Has San Juan been removed

I was just looking at our itinerary for the April 26th 2009 13 night on Explorer of the Seas, I see San Juan is gone. I don't think we are missing much, we were getting in late anyway (29th from 4pm-11:30pm). Strange thing is that one excursion still shows for that day as avail.

They are dropping some ports on some cruises to save fuel. On the one hand this is annoying if the port dropped is one you wanted to see. On the other, it might help keep them from having to raise the fuel supplement for a while.

So far, they haven't dropped any from the cruise we're taking in January, but those ports are so close together, Serenade will be puttering anyhow.

I am fairly new to cruising (only two cruises).

I am sailing on the Explorer in Jan 2010, leaving from Bayonne, and noticed that San Juan was dropped from our itinerary too. I understand that RCI reserves the right to change the itinerary, but I have gotten no notification as to why it was dropped. Is this standard?

I am sailing on the Explorer in Jan 2010, leaving from Bayonne, and noticed that San Juan was dropped from our itinerary too. I understand that RCI reserves the right to change the itinerary, but I have gotten no notification as to why it was dropped. Is this standard?

They announced after their second quarter earnings came out that they would be adjusting itineraries in order to save fuel (fuel prices have really been hindering their profits). By cutting ports they are able to travel less distance and at a slower speed (which leads to better fuel efficiency). While cutting ports is definitely upsetting to people who were excited about the ports being cut, is does help keep costs down.

Ive been there a few times, both cruising and land based vacation. Seeing San Juan ona cruise doesnt allow you the time to see the really nice parts of Puerto Rico. Most people want to walk around Old San Juan and shop and just hang out. IMO, Old San Juan is just an average port town to me. If I am going to go to Puerto Rico, Id rather go there and stay when I can see and do all the really cool stuff and nice beaches....etc

I think we will continue to see cuts as long as the market bears it. RCI is in business to make $$. And corporate exec's see bonus dollars grow as they increase profits.

It will stop only when they see bookings cancelled and their "savings" outstripped by "losses" from lost bookings.

So far, the public seems content with this trend......

Why are we paying a hefty fuel surcharge if they are saving the fuel by cutting ports and also port fees? Did you get a reduction in your fare to reflect the port fee for San Juan?

This is legit.. you should get a refund on the port charges as long as they are not going elsewhere in place. I would recommend calling/contact TA in order to check on this.

WE will be on the Voyager 4/09 & Progresso was dropped from our itinerary. Another of our CC members was informed by RC that we would not receive a credit for port fees of $26.20. Instead, we would be issued OBC of $25.

This works for us. I hate having a port dropped, but I will survive. It is not the end of the world.

WE will be on the Voyager 4/09 & Progresso was dropped from our itinerary. Another of our CC members was informed by RC that we would not receive a credit for port fees of $26.20. Instead, we would be issued OBC of $25.

This works for us. I hate having a port dropped, but I will survive. It is not the end of the world.

is that PP in the port fees there are 3 of us and they droped progreso or is it a 1 time fee for all of us?

One port on the Navigator Transatlantic in 2009 was also just removed. That gives us seven days in a row at sea. The official reason was 'to save on fuel'.

I have a feeling that the 'crazy good deals' on the transatlantics might force them to cut back on several things!

I'm on the Voyager on Feb and Progresso was dropped. CC member on our roll call said RC would not be giving us anything for losing this port. It would be interesting to find out if this is per person or cabin.

I wouldn't mind an obc for port fees since PR was dropped from 4-26 sailing but RCCL said"NO REFUND OR OBC WILL BE ISSUED!!!":mad:

One port on the Navigator Transatlantic in 2009 was also just removed. That gives us seven days in a row at sea. The official reason was 'to save on fuel'.

I have a feeling that the 'crazy good deals' on the transatlantics might force them to cut back on several things!

You are right sharktums.........as we are on the same TA. However, RCCL is unwilling to give us any port credits........so far.

We thought of changing ships for the TA.........as we do have what we consider to be a smoking deal for an OS............and the OS on the Jewel of the Seas............is double in price!!!:eek:

As a matter of fact........it $4,000 more than it was two years ago.

The price of the OS.........is starting to get us to look at other lines, such as Silverseas. So, in addition to dropping ports......they need to be aware of their pricing.

Rick

Hey, this is not fair. I booked Adventure of the Seas for May 17, 2009 and Grenada is not on the itinerary anymore. My whole point for going on this cruise was to only have 1 day at sea. Boy am I p'oed right now. They should not drop an island for cruises that have already been booked. Or at least give us the option to cancel the cruise without penalty. I am ready to raise holy h*ll with someone at Royal Caribbean. I am going to have to email my TA and see what she says. RRRRRRRR.

Hey, this is not fair. I booked Adventure of the Seas for May 17, 2009 and Grenada is not on the itinerary anymore. My whole point for going on this cruise was to only have 1 day at sea. Boy am I p'oed right now. They should not drop an island for cruises that have already been booked. Or at least give us the option to cancel the cruise without penalty. I am ready to raise holy h*ll with someone at Royal Caribbean. I am going to have to email my TA and see what she says. RRRRRRRR.
What penalty would be imposed if you cancelled now? I am pretty sure none at all.

It would seem to me that if a cruise line is going to drop a port, and the cruise fee included port charges and taxes, at the very least you are due back any fees incurred as a result of those taxes. If RCCL does not return tax funds, they very well may be in violation of several laws both domestic and international.

With that said, if San Juan is a must, as it was for me, (I love the parrot club there - best drinks in the Caribbean), there are many cruises that leave from the port of San Juan. For example, the Adventure of the Seas which my wife and I are booked in September, leaves from San Juan. The only downside, is the flight to San Juan, which is a bit longer.

As a side note, I must admit that I actually enjoy a few days at sea, and find an island a day to be a bit much. Though that is a personal thing and to each his/her own.

Archived