Best Tombs to tour

MVPinBoynton

We will be in Egypt in 3 weeks and will be visiting the Valley of the Kings. The itinerary is showing that we are supposed to visit the tombs of Ramses I, Ramses II and Ramses IX. I am assuming that these could change; but if they don't, are they good ones to tour? I have read mixed reviews on King Tut's Tomb and am wondering if it is worth the time and effort to do it after doing these other three tombs. Are there better tombs that I should try to see?

Here is the info I have in my notes regarding the tombs. Ideally I'd try to visit one from each phase as they give you a good idea of the different styles. Much depends on which tombs are open on a particular day because they do rotate. On the day we went, we saw Tuthmosis IV, Merenptah, Tausert/Setnakht, and Ramses IV. (We saw 4, I'm not sure how our guide managed that?!?).

Some people chose to go into Tutankhamun's tomb; I didn't. (There is a separate ticket for that.) In 2006, they returned Tut's mummy to the tomb. It is inside a large sarcophagus (not one of the ornately gilded and painted ones....). However, there's not much else to see inside.

Valley of the Kings

In addition to the links below, check out the website for the Theban mapping project for great articles on the history of the VOK, how tombs were made, etc. With one day visit you will normally get to see 3 tombs. Openings vary. There are good descriptions of most of the tombs in the Lonely Planet guidebook. Some of the best tombs include:

Phase One Tombs:

Phase Two Tombs:

Phase Three Tombs:

There are also outstanding tombs in Valley of the Nobles. The best tomb in the Valley of the Queens is currently closed with no plans to reopen.

Cynthia,

Thank you for the very good info and links. I briefly looked at them and will check them out in depth when I get home.

smeyer,

I was surprised that our itinerary even listed tombs to be seen. I didn't think that the ones that would be open would be known a couple months in advance. Did you think it was worth the time and effort to see King Tut's tomb. I am sure it would be interesting, but is it better quality wise?

As you know, we were with Nile Blue. Hazem, our guide and Egyptologist, chose the tombs of Seti II, Ramses IV, and Siptah for us to visit. He said these are the most ornate. As photos are forbidden inside, we purchased postcards that show the beautiful, colorful, and very well preserved paintings and carvings. These tombs are easy to walk, well lit, and well ventilated.

We did not go into Tut's tomb as Hazem said there is little decoration and the only thing in it is the mummy. My suggestion is to skip Tut's tomb but pay the extra ticket at the Egyptian Museum to visit the Mummy Room.

If you haven't already, buy the Eyewitness Travel book for EGYPT. I used sticky notes to tag our sights ahead of time and then wrote in the book as we visited. You have a ready made journal.

another hint - look for the "cartoon" postcards of Egypt. They're so fun.

Cynthia,

smeyer,

I was surprised that our itinerary even listed tombs to be seen. I didn't think that the ones that would be open would be known a couple months in advance. Did you think it was worth the time and effort to see King Tut's tomb. I am sure it would be interesting, but is it better quality wise?

The tomb itself is historic as the only intact tomb found if the mummy wasn't there it would have not been worth the extra cost but with the mummy it was. Yes its not as decorated as some of the others and is much smaller but being in the place where "wondrous things" were found was in of it self exciting.

I am not sure that answers the question for you but it was worth it to me.

WeBeGone,

I had previously copied your recommendations in my Excel file I keep for each of my trips. This way I have everything I might with me when I travel. I am glad to hear that the tombs are well ventilated. I was worried about that.

I am surprised that Tut's isn't that good, since it would seem like it would be in better shape than the others due to robbers not being in there first.

I haven't seen the Eyewitness Egypt guide. Eyewitness is my favorite guide series. I have purchased several other books and watched so many shows on Egypt that I already feel like I have been to Egypt and am revisiting it rather than going for the first time.

WeBeGone,

I am surprised that Tut's isn't that good, since it would seem like it would be in better shape than the others due to robbers not being in there first.

quote]

Remember your Egypt history ......tombs were started as soon as the pharoh was "crowned". The decoration continued until the death. Since Ramses lived to be 95, his tomb was decorated for many, many years-thus it is the most decorated of all. Tut however, lived a mear 19 years (?) so his tomb was barely begun when he died. Thus, his treasures are what is in the museum and his tomb is fairly bare as compared to all the others.

CruiseMom,

Very good links. Thank you so much. By the way we are supposed to go to Ramses III not II as I had posted originally. It does look like a nice one.

You're very welcome. I think I picked up that info from someone else (Sekhmet?) who posts sometimes and is very knowledgeable about the Valley of the Kings and the Theban mapping project.

I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing these very much. They were a highlight of the trip for me (of course, I grew up wanting to be an Egyptologist!).

Cynthia,

I just checked out the Theban Mapping Project. This is the best info I have seen on the tombs. I will be spending several hours over the weekend looking at it in more detail. I am putting the link in here for reference purposes for anyone else who is looking for tomb info. http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/

Thanks Mike for starting a good thread.

I can always count on you...and Carol for great info.

We will be cruising and stopping into Alexandria 2 days next yr aboard the Equinox. Cant wait to hear others comments as well.

Are you doing ok down there, we up here are getting the squalls now.

How earie especially at night. And I have to go to work tommorrow. :(

Hugs

Daph

We visited Ramses IV tomb in May this year and it was beautifully decorated. We were there on a Wednesday and not all the tombs were open. My husband also visited Ramses I and King Tut's Tomb which he felt was well worth visiting. He was amazed at how tiny King Tut was. (I am claustrophobic so could only venture into one but it was wondrous).

Jennie

Hi Daph,

Being on the Equinox and visiting Egypt should make for an awesome cruise. This thread won't be of much use for a 2 day visit, since it would be difficult to get to the Valley of the Kings in that time frame; but not impossible. Since we will be in Alexandria for 2 nights and Cairo for 4 nights, my review might be of some help in planning for your visit. I still can't believe that Fay is still hanging around. It has been great hear after she left town on Tuesday. Good luck on keeping dry.

Hi Aussie Gal,

It does seem like we are depending on the luck of the draw with which tombs are open. I think I will be thrilled with whichever ones we get to visit.

A note to the OP and any other lurkers --

Many of the tombs in the Valley of the Kings can be very difficult for those of limited mobility. There are long staircases, steep ramps, narrow corridors, and so on. It is important to check with your guide before going in.

In our case, the guide turned us loose to choose our own tombs to visit. He assisted us in locating the "accessable" ones, and we had easy flat corridors to reach the burial chambers. These tombs were spectacular in their own right and we did not feel we missed anything.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/egypt8.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thank you very much for posting the thread for the "Tombs". I just had time to scan through but will be able to read it in depth tomorrow. It looks really fascinating and very helpful. Even though our trip is months off I have enjoyed reading all of the info. on CC--very, very helpful.

Thanks,

micked10

You're very welcome. I think I picked up that info from someone else (Sekhmet?) who posts sometimes and is very knowledgeable about the Valley of the Kings and the Theban mapping project.

Thank you for those kind words - it was me. As another poster mentioned, some of the tombs are steep and narrow and not for the less than agile. One of the beauties of the Theban Mapping Project website is that you can see plans and isometrics of the tombs and so choose those which are wide and flatter if you need to - usually the later ones.

To add to the list of recommendations, below is a copy of a list I complied for a friend with the same question:

"As you probably know, the entrance ticket to the Valley of the Kings allows you three tombs, and the guide usually selects two and leaves one option, but I’m sure you could pick your own. Also, not all are open all the time, so you need some ‘spares’.

First of all, if Tutankhamun’s is open, they’ll almost certainly take you there, but it is small, not very well decorated and untypical, so wouldn’t normally feature on anybody’s best tomb list!

The Valley burials cover three dynasties, with changes in style, so trying to see one from each gives a wider idea of how the tombs developed. So, I would suggest the following:

18th Dynasty:

Tuthmosis III – tomb 34. This is probably my favourite, but it is a long walk right to the end of the Valley, followed by a climb up a lot of steps and then a deep, winding descent – the early tombs wound down into the hillside.

Amenhotep II – tomb 35. Tuthmosis III’s son, but more accessible.

Horemheb – tomb 57. I’ve never seen this open, but it has been recommended.

19th Dynasty:

Seti I – tomb 17. The biggest tomb and a definite must if it is open.

Merenptah – tomb 8. Again, one I’ve been recommended but not visited.

Tausert & Sethnakhte – tomb 14. Slightly odd, as it was shared between the two rulers (Tausert was a queen), so a modified version.

20th Dynasty:

Ramesses III – tomb 11. Probably the biggest and best of the late tombs.

Ramesses VI – tomb 9. Smaller than his great-grandfather’s, but nicely decorated.

Ramesses IX – tomb 6. Another good Ramesside tomb, and close to the centre of the Valley.

In the Queen’s Valley, the obvious honeypot is Nefertari, but this is currently closed, and even when open only allows about 100 people per day, and you have to queue at the West Bank ticket office at 6am to stand a chance! Some of the Princes’ tombs, however, are worth visiting, such as that of Amonherkhepeshef.

Also on the West Bank is Deir el-Medina, the village of the workmen who built the tombs and this is worth a visit. When we first went, you could wander the streets and in and out of the houses, but that is no longer allowed. The tombs, though small, are brilliant – you have to remember that this was the best workmen in the world preparing their Houses of Eternity for themselves, and they sure were going to do a good job! The best is probably Sennedjem (tomb 1), but both Anherkau (tomb 259) and Pashedu (tomb 3) are also good.

Finally, dotted all around are the Tombs of the Nobles, in various groups. Interesting ones include Rekhmire (tomb TT100) and Ramose (tomb TT55). The latter was Mayor of Thebes during the reigns of both Amenhotep III and Akhenaton, and his tomb shows the transition from the old style to the new Armarna revolution.

Also on the West Bank are the funerary temples, of which the Ramasseum and Medinet Habu are the best preserved."

Hope this helps - please ask if you think I may be able to help further.

Richard

Archived