Formal night dining

poppy8

Thanks everyone for their advice. We are travelling from Scotland to Whittier for an Alaskan cruise. My husband did wonder about taking his kilt outfit but as there are too many accessories to pack, I wonder if a pair of tartan trousers, white shirt and tartan tie would be okay for a formal night or perhaps maybe just a business suit.

We are looking forward to our first cruise and find all the advice here very useful.

Thanks.

As you can see I'm also from Scotland and our first cruise was in Alaska on the Regal Princess. I took full Highland dress with me, but took tartan trousers instead of the kilt, mainly due to weight restrictions. You're husband will receive numerous compliments, however on our cruise, i overheard one male (not from the UK) turn to his wife and remark about another Scot who was wearing a kilt "look at that guy in a skirt".

I would say to your husband take the kilt and be one of the smartest dressed on formal night, well amongst the men anyway!

Ships with one dr can divide it in half if need be. One section formal one casual. They did that for years with the smoking sections in restaurants.
Huh? I have never been to a restaurant, even decades ago, that had assigned seating rather than what is now considered open seating. You were asked which section you wanted and if your preferred section was full, you had to wait for a table. Can you imagine the confusion, anger, etc. if someone were assigned to the "wrong" section? There's enough confusion right now between Anytime and Traditional; why complicate it by having people designate whether they want formal or non-formal? I think you really want to be on Princess with an NCL dining experience. That's not going to happen.

And what do you have against ripped jeans , baseball caps, and baggy pants? Why not try and see whether they let you in with that and then you may come back to this forum and proudly declare that as being the new standard for "least acceptable fashion"!

(not meaning ripped jeans, baseball caps, baggy pants, etc). We would quickly see how many of the people would like packing the extra clothes to dress up & impress the other cruisers. I realize this is the NCL solution to the problem but until Princess is willing to give me the exact food as is being served in the dr's on formal night I will continue to dress in the least acceptable fashion in order to partake in the better selections.

I realize there are many who still like to dress- fine with me but don't short change my meal if I don't care to participate. The choices in the buffet don't compare to the main dr.

The only way one is short cheated in this situation is if they purchase thier Princess cruise with the impression that there is not a dress guideline and then they find out something else when you get on board. Obviously we all know there's a dress guideline - the only short changing is buying something that is not wanted.

Huh? I have never been to a restaurant, even decades ago, that had assigned seating rather than what is now considered open seating. You were asked which section you wanted and if your preferred section was full, you had to wait for a table. Can you imagine the confusion, anger, etc. if someone were assigned to the "wrong" section? There's enough confusion right now between Anytime and Traditional; why complicate it by having people designate whether they want formal or non-formal? I think you really want to be on Princess with an NCL dining experience. That's not going to happen.

They could very set up one dr dedicated to each as on NCL. It seems to work for them without problems.

They could very set up one dr dedicated to each as on NCL. It seems to work for them without problems.

I guess that Princess could always go back to the "Class" system.. Those that prefer not to adhere to the stated dress code could be in Steerage :rolleyes::D

NCL doesn't have formal nights. Theirs are optional nights for those who wish to dress. The premise is completely differnt.

But you're right - it does work for them. That's because for the most part, those buying a NCL cruise are buying what works for them. One of the first decisions any professional travel agent will ask a potential passenger to make is whether or not they want to be on a cruise where formal dress is part of the product. If the potential passenger says yes, there are plenty of options, including Princess. If the potential passenger says no, there are plenty of options, including NCL, Oceania, Azamara.

Why is it so difficult?

I guess that Princess could always go back to the "Class" system.. Those that prefer not to adhere to the stated dress code could be in Steerage :rolleyes::D

Heh, heh, heh.

NCL doesn't have formal nights. Theirs are optional nights for those who wish to dress. The premise is completely differnt.

But you're right - it does work for them. That's because for the most part, those buying a NCL cruise are buying what works for them. One of the first decisions any professional travel agent will ask a potential passenger to make is whether or not they want to be on a cruise where formal dress is part of the product. If the potential passenger says yes, there are plenty of options, including Princess. If the potential passenger says no, there are plenty of options, including NCL, Oceania, Azamara.

Why is it so difficult?

Really. Why can't people just accept Princess the way it is and stop trying to change things. You're getting the product you purchased. If you don't care for the product, don't purchase it. I might want to think about sailing on NCL because they do a week in Bermuda from a convenient East Coast port, but no way I'd actually do it because I dislike their freestyle-dining concept. Do I go on their boards and stir up a ruckus about how they should change their entire concept back to formal nights and non-formal nights? No, I don't because it's a pointless and idiotic waste of my (and everyone else's) time. So why do people do it on these boards? Write to Princess and complain, but leave the rest of us here alone so we can talk about the important stuff, like what's the best martini at Crooners and which ship has the handsomest captain. . .

Ships with one dr can divide it in half if need be. One section formal one casual. They did that for years with the smoking sections in restaurants.

It seems to work well only because most people are intimated & don't want to rock the boat. If give the choice to pack lighter & still enjoy the food they just might. I realize there are many who still like to dress- fine with me but don't short change my meal if I don't care to participate. The choices in the buffet don't compare to the main dr.

Princess is not NCL. If you don't like the way Princess arranges their dining rooms or the formality of the dress code, there are plenty of other lines to choose from that will accommodate you.

Ok, I am just about finished with my packing for our cruise on the carribbean princess tomorrow. I brought a formal dress and a formal crepe skirt with a blouse. Now I am confused, as it sounds like the CB does not dress very formal on the formal nights. Should I unpack one of the formal outfits and just use a nice dress, that I would wear to say a bridal shower?

Keep your formalwear packed. You won't be out of place at all. There will be lots of women in gowns, cocktail dresses and other fancy outfits. Enjoy your cruise and the formal nights.:)

Again a "twisted" post. CRUISE LINE'S (shouted back to you!) expectation!!!

WELL!............... SMELL ME! I don't understand how it detracts from some cruiser's vacation if someone isn't dressed to THEIR expectations on formal night.

Heh, heh, heh.

Really. Why can't people just accept Princess the way it is and stop trying to change things. You're getting the product you purchased. If you don't care for the product, don't purchase it. I might want to think about sailing on NCL because they do a week in Bermuda from a convenient East Coast port, but no way I'd actually do it because I dislike their freestyle-dining concept. Do I go on their boards and stir up a ruckus about how they should change their entire concept back to formal nights and non-formal nights? No, I don't because it's a pointless and idiotic waste of my (and everyone else's) time. So why do people do it on these boards? Write to Princess and complain, but leave the rest of us here alone so we can talk about the important stuff, like what's the best martini at Crooners and which ship has the handsomest captain. . .

I not causing any ruckus, as you say, and I do like the Princess product. All I'm saying is that without the formal nights, to me it could be better and if enough people would voice their opinions it could possible change. Look as where it is today compared to 25 years ago. There have been lots of changes along the way & most people accept & like it.

No one is wasting you time & is forcing you to reply to any subject matter. I's entirely you decision & your the one who's getting involved.

tvaud - We have sailed other cruise lines as well & there not for us. (for other reasons)

I not causing any ruckus, as you say, and I do like the Princess product. All I'm saying is that without the formal nights, to me it could be better and if enough people would voice their opinions it could possible change. Look as where it is today compared to 25 years ago. There have been lots of changes along the way & most people accept & like it.

One thing people don't seem to understand about formal nights is that they set a certain expectation of the ambience and product quality on board - even for the non-formal nights. If Princess becomes a casual cruise line like NCL, then it's product will become like NCL in order to support the market a more casual line will attract. Princess will not present the same product without the formal component of the cruise experience...it will be marketing to a more casual demographic and that will tell in its overall product. If one is willing to accept a lower quality experience, then by all means complain to Princess about having to dress appropriately for a small percentage of the time spent on a ship (even though casual alternatives are offered) - but then don't complain when the results you seek are achieved.

When I look at where Princess is today compared to 10 years ago, I see a lot of issues with lower quality - much of that is a result of Princess becoming more focused on the mass market instead of the premium market it focused on in the mid-90s. Perhaps a response to the business climate, but becoming more casual has left Princess without a lot of the things that used to make it a unique cruising experience.

It seems to work well only because most people are intimated & don't want to rock the boat. If give the choice to pack lighter & still enjoy the food they just might. I realize there are many who still like to dress- fine with me but don't short change my meal if I don't care to participate. The choices in the buffet don't compare to the main dr.
From the Cruise Answer page:

Etiquette

Everyone at Princess is committed to ensuring you have a great time on your cruise. So, to preserve a relaxed and friendly atmosphere onboard, we ask that you observe a few guidelines.

• When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. For details regarding this, please see the section entitled: ONBOARD ATTIRE.

It's not about rocking the boat, being a snob, being a traditionalist, being upset if someone doesn't adhere to the dress code, etc. I doubt that really ruins anyone's cruise. It's about respecting a request by the cruiseline, which obviously you have no intention of doing. That's your right and your choice but don't expect Princess to offer NCL-type dining just because that's the way you want it.

One thing people don't seem to understand about formal nights is that they set a certain expectation of the ambience and product quality on board - even for the non-formal nights. If Princess becomes a casual cruise line like NCL, then it's product will become like NCL in order to support the market a more casual line will attract. Princess will not present the same product without the formal component of the cruise experience...it will be marketing to a more casual demographic and that will tell in its overall product. If one is willing to accept a lower quality experience, then by all means complain to Princess about having to dress appropriately for a small percentage of the time spent on a ship (even though casual alternatives are offered) - but then don't complain when the results you seek are achieved.

When I look at where Princess is today compared to 10 years ago, I see a lot of issues with lower quality - much of that is a result of Princess becoming more focused on the mass market instead of the premium market it focused on in the mid-90s. Perhaps a response to the business climate, but becoming more casual has left Princess without a lot of the things that used to make it a unique cruising experience.

That is true but if they were to change where would the truly formal people flock to then?

From the Cruise Answer page:

Etiquette

Everyone at Princess is committed to ensuring you have a great time on your cruise. So, to preserve a relaxed and friendly atmosphere onboard, we ask that you observe a few guidelines.

• When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. For details regarding this, please see the section entitled: ONBOARD ATTIRE.

It's not about rocking the boat, being a snob, being a traditionalist, being upset if someone doesn't adhere to the dress code, etc. I doubt that really ruins anyone's cruise. It's about respecting a request by the cruiseline, which obviously you have no intention of doing. That's your right and your choice but don't expect Princess to offer NCL-type dining just because that's the way you want it.

I can always hope for a change but in the mean time I'll continue to do my own thing.

I love reading about formal nights, this was a good one. It takes two or three pages before we forget a new cruise fan has aked a great question. Cruising has many great and new experiences, formal dining is just one of them. Don't short change yourself, enjoy as many as possible, including formal dining. You can make up your own mind for cruise number two. I will bet a Loonie you will do cruise number two.

I've worked on over 30 cruise ships..& quite frankly..formal night has turned into a joke...unless you're on one of the luxury lines like Crystal where formal night is taken seriously & quite enjoyable. Formal night has always been part of the cruising experience - feels absolutely grand to be walking around a beautiful ship..well dressed..champagne glass in hand..enjoying the company of your fellow guests. Sadly..there are the 'trailer trash' types who think its OK to wander into the Champagne Bar on formal night wearing their thongs & T-shirts..much to the horror of other guests who have taken the trouble to dress 'up' for the occasion. Nothing really done about it for fear of 'offending' the guilty.

Trust me..I've read the comment cards..cruise lines are slammed weekly for not enforcing the dress code on formal night. And yes gents..you don't have to wear a tuxedo..a neat simple jacket & tie will do..ladies..a nice evening dress.

If you want to stay casual on formal night..fine..stick to the buffet & for crying out loud show some respect to your fellow guests...and when going to the show..at least put on some trousers (gents)..

I have said this before and I will say it again. People know what is expected of them before they book, Princess use polite words like "please observe", most people do observe the dress code on formal evenings and then those who don't but wish all the others wouldn't. To DW and me a cruise is a special event, we feel that part of the magic of the cruise is the dressing for dinner and the formal evenings are the evenings we cherish and remember the rest of the evenings are lost in sameness.

Archived