I hated the warm chocolate melting cake!

crusinpsychRN

I found the Chocolate Melting cake inedible on our last cruise as well. I am a huge chocolate and dessert fan, and enjoy desserts like cheesecake that others find overly sweet. Maybe I just didn't like their chocolate (I see people comparing it to Hershey's syrup, and to me, Hersheys is NOT edible chocolate.)

Glad to see other people don't like the chocolate melting cake besides me.

I just got off the Inspiration and I know this will shock just about everyone. I thought the warm chocolate melting cake was HORRIBLE! Like drinking unsweet hershey's straight from the bottle. I can't believe so many people love it! So far I've never heard a bad word about it, but there you go! YUCK! My son had it every night!
Ohhhhhh noooooo......I mentioned the other day on the "Baked Alaska Overrated" tread that I would eat Baked Alaska any time over this overrated something with Hershey's syrup on it and you would of thought I broke a Cardinal Sin........Someone told me I should order it well done....If I have to tell them how to make their supposed signature desert I'll pass......It was the "WORST" desssert I have ever had at sea.......;)

Ohhhhhh noooooo......I mentioned the other day on the "Baked Alaska Overrated" tread that I would eat Baked Alaska any time over this overrated something with Hershey's syrup on it and you would of thought I broke a Cardinal Sin........Someone told me I should order it well done....If I have to tell them how to make their supposed signature desert I'll pass......It was the "WORST" desssert I have ever had at sea.......;)

I also know for a fact that there is no Hershey's syrup in the dish. Don't know why you continue to misrepresent that it does :confused:.

If it was too melted for your taste I offered you a solution.

I just got off the Inspiration and I know this will shock just about everyone. I thought the warm chocolate melting cake was HORRIBLE! Like drinking unsweet hershey's straight from the bottle. I can't believe so many people love it! So far I've never heard a bad word about it, but there you go! YUCK! My son had it every night!

It's nasty and I love chocolate. I'd rather eat the Baked Alaska than the chocolate melting cake and that isn't saying very much.

Doesn't surprise me a bit that you thought it was horrible.

I went on my first Carnival cruise and we got back last Sunday (we were on the Valor) and the Chocolate Melting Cake is half the reason why my pants don't fit! (The other half is just plain gluttony: over-eating, lack of self-control, poor portion control, bad food choices, some people on this board might identify with my condition while on a cruise - but that is not the topic at hand!).

I loved the dessert. For anybody who knows about cooking this is not an easy dish to get right, particularly since they have to make about 1000 of these a night. It has to be cooked enough so that it is firm on the outside (hence the word "cake") yet still "melting" on the inside. So the timing of the dish is important. If it is undercooked you get a mess of chocolate soup; if it is overcooked the dessert is not successful. And we did have a couple of bad ones throughout the week. I will admit that it is rich but the combination of the hot molten chocolate mixed with the cold and creamy texture of the ice cream is simply sublime. I think it among the best desserts I've had all year. But I guess that's why there are 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins -- everyone likes something different. If there is a tally put me in the "loved it" column.

I found the Chocolate Melting cake inedible on our last cruise as well. I am a huge chocolate and dessert fan, and enjoy desserts like cheesecake that others find overly sweet. Maybe I just didn't like their chocolate (I see people comparing it to Hershey's syrup, and to me, Hersheys is NOT edible chocolate.)

Glad to see other people don't like the chocolate melting cake besides me.

Ugh... you sure your taste buds are okay? LOL It's pretty good the first time, then okay the same the second time, then there's the third time... still good, don't forget about the fourth night....mmm good, ....so on and so forth. By the last night my thoughts of chocolate melting cake - FAT and DISGUSTING! lol *winks

I also know for a fact that there is no Hershey's syrup in the dish. Don't know why you continue to misrepresent that it does :confused:.

If it was too melted for your taste I offered you a solution.

Please...It was my opinion of what I thought it tasted like (terrible) and of the way it tasted like it was made. You made your comment on that. Then as now.....I now say I could make something out of Tasty Cakes and Nestle's syrup that would taste better......;)

Glad you like it and have a nice next cruise...

This is a board for open discussion and I like you have the right to my opinion as to what I think something tastes like.......;)

This is a board for open discussion and I like you have the right to my opinion as to what I think something tastes like.......;)

There is a huge difference between Hershey's syrup and quality melted dark chocolate, calories aside. If you can't tell the difference, I'm sorry.

When you state it is made with Hershey's syrup, that is not an opinion, that is a factually incorrect statement.

The readers of the board are entitled to know the truth.

Hmmmm, sounds like the creme brulee might be taking over the lead for favorite desert on Carnival. Yummy! On my Princess cruise they had raspberry creme brulee. It was so good! Real raspberries, not the puree.

I don't recall if Carnival makes them that way or not. But, even the plain ones are awesome. It gets my vote!

Chocolate Melting Cake Recipe:

1 Box of chocolate cake mix

5 cups sugar !!

2 eggs

2 cups water

Mix well, bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle powdered sugar on top. :eek:

Hmmmm, sounds like the creme brulee might be taking over the lead for favorite desert on Carnival. Yummy! On my Princess cruise they had raspberry creme brulee. It was so good! Real raspberries, not the puree.

I don't recall if Carnival makes them that way or not. But, even the plain ones are awesome. It gets my vote!

Chocolate Melting Cake Recipe:

1 Box of chocolate cake mix

5 cups sugar !!

2 eggs

2 cups water

Mix well, bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle powdered sugar on top. :eek:

Note: That is NOT Carnival's recipe for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

I find the food on Carnival superior to Princess.

Here is a Vanilla Creme Brulee from Carnival

IMG_4225.JPG

And some of the others:

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_5242.JPG

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5784.JPG

There is a huge difference between Hershey's syrup and quality melted dark chocolate, calories aside. If you can't tell the difference, I'm sorry.

When you state it is made with Hershey's syrup, that is not an opinion, that is a factually incorrect statement.

The readers of the board are entitled to know the truth.

The truth is that is what it tasted like to me and that is that......

I really can't believe this is bugging you so much......:confused:

But again...Enjoy the next cruise you have and the warm chocolate melting cake.....;)

The truth is that is what it tasted like to me and that is that......

I don't have a problem with that and I don't care if anyone likes it or not.

Obviously since it is available every night, more people like it than not.

Thank you. I always enjoy every cruise - next one is less than 100 days away, but will decide when the dessert menu is handed to me what I will enjoy that evening which could include the warm chocolate melting cake.

I've never had CCL's but I had it in a very good restaurant once and thought "Gah! THIS is what all those people on cruisecritic swoon over"?

Actually it wasn't 'spit-it-out replusive', but that runny, undercooked cake batter vibe just didn't do it for me. At all.

:D

Hey, different strokes... I prefer a slice of one of those light spa cakes, with a little sherbet on the side. Just the thing.

Archived