Canopy Tour - only through the ship now...

Greenapple

I emailed Victor Bodden about hiring him to take my family around the island in Jan 05, and he has indicated that you have to do the canopy tour through the ship excursions now. I had read something to that effect on this posting. How disappointing! That must be putting guys like Victor out of business, as I understand the canopy tour is a highlight of the island.

That is correct the owner and NCL have a exclusivity contract. You pay $89 bucks for the beach and canopy tour. The NCL Excursion was sold out and staffers told others to go to the Canopy Tour company to see if they will allow. Several hours later with cash in hand people were being told "No". They lost over $1,000 from the short time we watched people come and go.

I booked a tour a month ago through Bay Island Resort to snorkle, lunch etc. When I asked about stopping to do the canopy tour first he said there was some talk at that time that it would be a "ship's excursion only" on the days a ship is in port. He was going to check and see if it would be possible when we got there..

On the NCL tour info when i booked the cruise(in July) there was no mention of a ship sponsored canopy tour..Now they offer it in their literature...

Looks like a done deal for now, but if he is losing money, he won't do it for any longer than the contract he has signed. probably too late for us ,but we'll see and I will let everyone know when we get back in dec.

Noooooo! I had emailed Victor a few months ago about being our guide for the day (late March). The one thing we really want to do is the canopy tour. I really don't want to go on the ships excursion, but I guess I don't have a choice.

ttittle,

It sounds like you did this excursion?? Are you stuck at the beach all day or can you get back to the ship when you want to go back?

Does anyone know if the other canopy tour is still available without the ship tour? The one I am speaking of is only 5 or 6 platforms but is unlimited times. The last time I read about it, the cost was $25.00. Any information?

Marie

Well, it seems official. I emaild the the company who used to the Canpoy Tours (akr@globalnet.hn) and that was forwarded to the Galindo's at Tabyana. They responded with the following:

Yes, we do have an exclusive contract with NCL, but it

is not to late for you to sign up with the ship. You will be able to do so once on board.

I had discussed this with Victor less than 3-weeks ago, and he assured me that he was available and could take us on this tour and then to a beach, he mentioned tabiana beach...not sure if that's the same or a spelling variation of Tabyana or not.

So, it seems this has developed reently. I emailed Victor yesterday, asking for confirmation, but haven't received a response yet. I guess NCL thought we were getting too good of a deal! Quite a disappointment :(

We hired a cab for $12 each/8 of us for the day. Rickie was our guide and of course we had to tip him but he was well worth it. We first went to the canopy tour and was told we could not go because it was being offered from NCL. Rickie took us to the owner and he made arrangements for us to go at 1 PM. (the owner said the new agreement with the cruise ships was only done the day before we got there) Rickie then arranged for horse back riding (we negot for $25.00 each/3 of us) for 1 hr. 15 minutes ending at Mayan Princess where the other 5 where already snorkeling. Then back to the Canopy tour where 20 people we standing in line. We were again, unfortunately told, that there were 100 people expected and they could not do us until 3 pm. Since our ship was leaving at 4:30 pm we did not have enough time and I am really uncertain if we would have got in then either. After the beach/snorkeling Rickie told us shopping and even help with negot. the items we bought. He also carrier our bags full of snorkel equipment etc. which had to be very heavy for him. Rickie was great and would recommend him for a guide but if you been to the island before just hire a cab. :D

I wrote back to the Canopy Tour's operators, to confirm that both the 5-hop and 11-hop rides were exclusive to ship tours. Here is what I got back:

No the other is not opened to those not on tour with the ship. Each ship is given 100 to 120 slots for the canopy. If you go to the shore excursion team when you get onboard of the ship they will get you on one of the tours.

We haven't decided for sure yet, but doubt we'll do this through the ship. We have a hard time paying over $30 more than what it would have cost us, including hiring Victor and his car for the whole day, to be hearded with a large group, and I'm sure spending much of the time waiting for everyone to get through, and then hearded to the beach. We'll probably book a swim and snorkel excursion like the one offered by: http://www.suenodelmar.com/

they pick you up, take you to their site, get you snorkel equipment and take you out on their boat to snorkel, and then return you to the ship, all for $45/person!

We haven't made a decision yet, but need too soon, we depart Saturday :eek:

Many on our ship are quite disappointed. Thanks for starting the post, or we would have really been disappointed if we got there and found this out.:(

I'm leaving on the NCL Spirit this Sunday and will be stopping in Roatan. My wife wants to do the canopy tour, however, I am not very fond of heights and am a little reluctant to sign up for this excurision, fearing I may not enjoy it. The literature indicates the lines are between 18-30 feet off the ground, which I think I could handle. I talked to a friend who did the canopy in Costa Rica and he indicated they were much higher than that in CR. Couple ?'s for those who may have experienced this canopy tour.

Is 18-30 feet accurate?

Has anyone else had someone in their group with a reluctance due to a fear of heights? If so, how did they handle it?

We weren't planning on bringing tennis shoes with us, but it doesnt seem as though sandles would be a good idea for this adventure. Any suggestions?

It may be time to face my fears and go for a ride!

Thanks in advance for your help.

RMKCHEEZ,

I can't answer your questions...but I will say that I am VERY afraid of heights and planning on doing this tour. I was in a harness parasailing and loved it, hoping this will be the same.

I had planned to do this tour on our own, hiring Victor as a guide, but now it seems that we will have to go on the ship's excursion. If you go, please post how it was.

I think that height is probably somewhat accurate....they didn't seem too high....yes, they were high, but not too much in my opinion. Plus, for some reason (maybe because of all the folliage) it just didn't seem that high....bummer that it's now only through the ship...we just showed up and went, three of us. It was great.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a slight aversion to heights (okay,more than slight) so I was not too keen on doing the canopy tour but my wife said that she would only go on the cave tubing tour in Belize if I did the canopy tour in Roatan. I'm 6'3" and weigh 260 so I had lots of concerns but , to my surprise, had a great time. It's very safe with a haness and safety lines plus lots of help from the guides. It is a real shame that a $35.00 tour (in August) has turned into an $85.00 excursion from the cruise line. Maybe some local entreprenours(sp) will see the need for additional tours!

We were on the NCL Sea and we didn't do the ship excursion(as a matter of fact they didn't even offer the canopy tour) . Our driver took us to the canopytour . There were only a few others there ,from the ship I suppose,and the whole thing took about 2 hours.

I've noticed that this thread deals mainly with NCL. We are visiting on Carnival at the beginning of May. Does anyone know if this fellow's "contract" with NCL is valid only on days where a NCL ship is there? I've checked our ships excursion list and there is no mention of a canopy tour.

Thoughts?

Cary T--- When were you there? We are going to CSI and were thinking of having the van driver take my husband to the Canopy Tour. Was your trip before the exculsivity contract with the cruise ships?

We were there in late August and there were no ship-offered canopy tours at that time because I had tried to get info on these boards and there weren't even many who had experienced the canopy tour at that time.

Archived