New London

VicKen

Despite searching the forums and the web I am still confused about transportation in New London. A group of 9 wants to go to Mystic Seaport. I see that SEAT now has a bus that goes there for $10 but is that one way or round trip? I couldn't find a schedule either. Would we be better to rent two cars? We are only in port from 11-6 so want to make the most of our day.

The cruise ships dock on Thames River adjacent to Water St, the Amtrak Station and the ferries. I'm from the area but I've never taken the bus so I can't be certain but from looking at the website I think the $10 is roundtrip. The website says: On August 1, 2008 SEAT will provide service from Water street New London to Mystic for all cruise ship patrons and the public. Children under 5 years of age can ride for free all others will pay a one time $10.00 fare. Buses will run every hour the service will begin at 8:00am and end at 4:00pm.

Another option would be to get a cab to Mystic. That would probably end up being cheaper.

I live across the river from New London and we watch the ships come in where I work.

I would be scared about getting back to the ship if you take the bus. The SEAT bus is full size, but what if 200 people wanted to go back at 3:00 or 4:00, you may not get the bus back and may have to take a cab anyway.

The SEAT bus website only says the bus goes to Mystic, it doesn't say where in Mystic it goes or if it stops at different places. If it only stops in Mystic Village (small store shoping area, next to the Aquarium) you would have a 20 minute walk to the Seaport.

I think the fastest way would be to go by cab, you wouldn't have to worry about renting the car and returning it, and could arrange for a time for the cab to come back.

Enjoy Mystic Seaport, it's a great place.

Emailed SEAT - Starting 8/31/08 SEAT will run buses from Visitor Center in New London to Mystic Seaport, Mystic Village, and downtown Mystic every hour during the hours ship or ships are in port. I am assuming it is a constant shuttle that would then pick up in Mystic at the 1/2 hour for the trip back to New London. The price is $10 round-trip. They also told me that most ships run a shuttle from port to the visitors center. If anyone has used this service so far can you comment on how easy it was to use?

• 3 weeks later...

Our cruise stopped in New London a couple of years ago.

HAL did have shuttles to go from the ship over to Mystic Seaport -- don't know if they still do this or if any of the other cruise lines do this.

By the way -- we loved Mystic Seaport!! We each bought a jacket -- we really didn't need another one -- but we love them!!

Our cruise stopped in New London a couple of years ago.

HAL did have shuttles to go from the ship over to Mystic Seaport -- don't know if they still do this or if any of the other cruise lines do this.

Princess has a shore excursion to Mystic, but they are charging $89 per person..:eek: Tickets for Mystic are only $18.50.. We'll have 4 people in our party so that comes out to $282 for transportation.. I doubt they're taking us in a limo either..:D I'm sure a taxi will be a whole lot cheaper. I just hope they're available..

Princess has a shore excursion to Mystic, but they are charging $89 per person..:eek: Tickets for Mystic are only $18.50.. We'll have 4 people in our party so that comes out to $282 for transportation.. I doubt they're taking us in a limo either..:D I'm sure a taxi will be a whole lot cheaper. I just hope they're available..

$89 a person??

That is Highway Robbery!!!

You are better off taking a taxi if there isn't a shuttle bus.

When our ship docked in New London this past July, we (family of four) went up to the end of the "road" that is in front of the ship. There were wonderful people up there handing out literature and calling cabs for people.

In fact, when we got off the ship, a nice gentleman gave us a ride up in a golf cart. He asked where we were headed, and he radioed for the people at the end of the road to call us a cab. We didn't wait long at all for a cab once we were up there.

A cab is the way to go. We were dropped off at Mystic Aquarium. Then we called a cab to take us from Mystic Shopping Village to Mystic Seaport. Then we took a cab from Mystic Seaport back to the ship.

I can't remember what we paid for the cab rides, but they were all very reasonable.

If you are visiting the aquarium and the seaport, you may want to look into purchasing the Sea Everything pass. It gives you admission to both the aquarium and the seaport, a free large soft drink at each place, a free t-shirt and also coupons for some of the village shops and restaurants. We bought our passes at the aquarium. There are different prices for adults, seniors, children and teens.

Here is a link describing the pass: http://www.mystic.org/mystic-pass-card.asp

Archived