Bad weather for the Pacific Dawn???

Kiwi_cruiser

There will be a deckcam souvenir going to Youtube in the next couple of days. It looked scary enough from dry land.

Best to strike while the iron is hot. Had a bit on fun mixing in some themed songs, including one that was released the same year MV Doulos was launched. Get ready with the Travacalm. If the seas don't get you, the mix of songs might! :eek:

Have just arrived back in Perth from the cruise...still swaying.

Was a bit scary being on a higher deck..pretty much had to hold on to the mattress to sleep. We felt icky but popped more travel calm and slept through most of it.

The Dome was closed...parts of the ceiling came down.

Am already looking up future cruises, so it did not put us off.

Was very impressed by how calm the staff were, especially in the dining room, as you could hear plates and glasses crashing around us. You needed a good sense of humour! Some staff admitted, next morning, they were a little bit scared.

The tray of glasses in our cabin were actually lifted up in to the air and came crashing down..smashed all over our beds and floor. That was a bit like having a poltergeist in the room, and we were quick to evacuate.

Highlight was meeting Itachi and Drelix!

Our luggage wasn't at Perth airport when we got home. We found out it is stuck in Melbourne :( we couldn't get a direct flight from Sydney, but they still had 1.5 hours to transfer our bags.

Best to strike while the iron is hot. Had a bit on fun mixing in some themed songs, including one that was released the same year MV Doulos was launched. Get ready with the Travacalm. If the seas don't get you, the mix of songs might! :eek:

Love it Geoff.

great watching with breakfast.

My eyes must be playing tricks as I am sure I saw dolphins swimming aklong side. I think it must be the waves breaking!!!

Excellent Geoff.....still not my idea of FUN :eek: . Imagine the relief when they saw Sydney Heads :p You are so clever ;)

B E V

we still keep laughing at some of the captain's announcements. My husband is convinced the captain wasn't even on the ship, as he sounded too calm :)

The day before the storm he said "We have some bad news..we are expecting 45 knot winds and waves up to 5 metres. The good news is, we will extend the stabilisers". I joked he was being conservative and was never going to say we were really going to have 7 metre swells.

During dinner, we were really being rocked around. You could hear plates smashing and we were pretty much holding on to the table cloth. The captain announced he had slowed down the boat and was using those "now famous stabilisers" to make our ride as comfortable as possible...then, as if on cue, the ship was thrown in to the air, and things went eveywhere!

At times like this, the Australian sense of humour really helped us get through!

I must admit I'd love a day like that. I was showing DH the pics this afternoon that were posted yesterday andd he said "boy, that looks like fun". I think so too/ Wouldn't want the whole cruise to be like that but certainly 1 day.

We had similar for 2 days going out last year. While I am armed with my video camera, heading off to play a human deckcam, the officers had different ideas and closed all the forward public decks.

Not only the sun, pool, promenade and decks at the bow, but they also thought we did not want to see the seas through the deckcam on the TV and turned it around for a while.

Coupled with passengers laying around in public areas with slippers and blankets looking green, the whole ship had gone quiet. The head waiter joked that he could not find a table for us at lunch (was only 20 or so seated while we were there).

I am glad we had a balcony, as we would have had almost no sea air for 2 days.

Hi all,

Just a quick post live from Pacific Dawn - no sign of any damage on the ship now, they fixed the broken window outside the Bengal Bar on the first day. Seas are pretty calm now, having a great time - the ship is beautiful! Will write a review when we get back - but we're not even thinking about that yet - having too much fun!

Met up with the fellow CC'ers on Monday which was great - lovely people, we had a great time meeting up, and keep bumping into most of them several times since!

Just a few quick points:

Anytime dining seems to work really well.

Food and service is great.

1813 passengers, but I have no idea where they all are as we haven't seen that many around and haven't queued for anything yet.

Glad to see you can get out the front on the open deck just like Star & Sun - and to the very back as well.

We recognise several of the waiters - and they recognise us as well!

Anyway, better go - wasting valuable cocktail money... :)

Thanks for checking in Riffraff!!! Glad you could take some time out of your busy schedule and remember us poor things still slaving away back here!!! :p :p

Sounds like you are having a great time ... have been following your progress on the web-cam and the seas looked BEAUTIFUL yesterday! Hope they stay that way.

Looking forward to hearing more when you get back!:D

• 3 weeks later...
umm glass shatted i think it was near the bengal bar and the piano bar and aparently one in the dome but did not have a chance to go in and check it out but have a phoo of bengal bar one camera will come out tonight

Yep, one pane of shatter glass on Deck 7 outside the Bengal Bar - was fixed on the first sea day out of Sydney.

thanks for the update martin.

Glad to hear things are almost back to normal. Just don't go messing up the ship before we get on, OK

Love the blog. How are mum and dad going. (not sure who's parents they are!!sorry)

We left it in better condition than we found it!!

It was my parents who joined us - and they had a ball - as they always do, they're our regular cruise buddies.

Kym

Archived