Soverign of the Seas

tj1201

I am taking my first cruise this summer on the Soverign of the Seas. I am a little concerned about its age and was wondering if anyone has been on this ship lately. My biggest concern is that it might not be very nice or clean. I would appreciate any information.

We're going on the Sovereign May 17th. I'll let you know what I think when we return.

gypsygirl

Emerald Seas 1985

Caribe 1986

Carnivale 1991

Westward 1993

Fantasy 1994

Fantasy 1995

Fascination 1997

Destiny 2001

Enchantment 2002

Sovereign 2004

Serenade 2004

tj

you are going to find several different responses to your questions.

We have been on her twice, Enchantment once, and Voyager once. SovOS is our favorite. Great service, good food, and good shows. Other than extra things like ice rink & minature golf, she is as good as it gets.

Yes, she is older and you will see some of the wear and tear but for goodness sakes, if you let that ruin your cruise you should choose another type of vacation. She is a well kept ship and they are constantly working on her.

If you do a search of Sovereign you will find a group of Sovereign lovers that go on her all the time.

Tim & Crystal

I'm one of those Sovereign lovers who go on her over and over. Five times already and another cruise on her in 9 days (WooHoo!!!).

There's just something about the Sovereign that keeps people coming back. The staff is wonderful ... friendly, helpful, always smiling. It's a very comfortable ship to get around on.

Yes, the ship is getting older and is showing her age. She is due to be drydocked later this year for a facelift. In the meantime, you will see staff members constantly working in the public areas installing new carpet or refreshing displays. The cabins are where you will see the most wear and tear ... new carpeting needed, rust in bathroom. It's still worth it to sail on this grand lady.

Oh, and one last thing ... The complementary Yellowbirds as you get on the ship are great! icon_biggrin.gif

fletchers5, comp. yellowbirds, are canaries, to make up for being an older ship they give each passenger one to take home. Beats those boring fanny packs they give the C&A members.

JUST KIDDING, sorry couldn't resist. the yellowbirds are a drink made with a blend of juices & booze. Not sure what all is in them but they are very good. If you make enough trips thru the centrum while they are handing them out you can get a pretty good "free buzz" going.

I'm another one of those Sovereign junkies, will be making our 5th trip on her in 2 weeks. Just wish she went somewhere besides Nassau.

Sovereign Again

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;04;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Halloween on the Serenade

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;30;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hey, KC - I thought you're supposed to be sick? Glad to see your sense of humor isn't under the weather! icon_biggrin.gif

Yellowbirds are, as KC said, a delicious tropical drink that falls into the "boat drink" catagory. That translates out to a little fruit juice and LOTS of rum!!!! icon_eek.gif

After reading your responses about the Sovereign can't wait to cruise! Myself and 4 of my highschool friends (23 years out of school) are cruising in August! I was excited before now after reading all the good things about the ship I'm really excited! Can't wait to try the yellowbirds! YUM!

I was on the Sovereign in January and will be on her again in a couple of weeks.

To be 16 years old, she is in great shape. Like a previous poster mentioned, there's just something about her that keeps bringing you back. She is sophisticated, yet personally welcoming and you just feel great about being on this ship. I can see myself being on this ship many, many more times in the future.

The biggest impression made on me was the staff's service. All of them...in every aspect of their jobs. Although I don't consider myself a "seasoned" cruiser with only 4 cruises under my belt, I am a seasoned traveler and know excellent service when I receive it. The staff was friendly, courteous, professional, yet very personal. It was the best service I have received on any cruise on any cruise line. Their service was so far beyond anything I have experienced, I could have received only half the quality and it would have still been ahead of anything I have experieced thus far. icon_biggrin.gif

You will not be disappointed! icon_wink.gif

Facation Fanatic

Fantasy - 6/02 Bahamas

Fantasy - 12/02 Bahamas

Victory - 9/03 NE/Canada

Sovereign of the Seas - 1/04 Bahamas

Sovereign of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;4;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Carnival Glory to the Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

We were on the Sovereign in late February and had a great cruise. We will definitely sail her again.

The only caution I would give anyone is to be aware that the cabins are significantly smaller than on newer ships. We booked adjoining cabins, and we were sure glad we did. Fitting the 4 of us in one would have been interesting icon_razz.gif

Chris in NH

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;8;14;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our GLORY Cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=a0522d&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we are BACK on the Radiance!

Sovereign of the Seas 2/04, Radiance of the Seas (Alaska) 8/03, Disney Wonder 2/03, Disney Magic 8/02, Disney Wonder 4/02, Disney Magic 7/01, Carnival Ecstasy 5/99, Carnival Sensation 12/96, Premier Majestic 12/95, Premier Atlantic 4/94, Premier Majestic 11/93, Premier Majestic 12/90

We decided as a retirement present to ourselves and to hold us over until our October Mariner cruise we needed a "cruise fix" so we just booked the 3 May cruise on Sovereign of the Seas icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jim & Pat

Enchantment of the Seas 1997

Grand Princess 1998

Carnival Celebration 1999

Enchantment of the Seas 2000

Enchantment of the Seas 2001

Carnival Pride 2002

Carnival Glory 2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Mariner of the Seas cast off.10-24-04

Yes, I wouldn't let the ships age be a concern at all. With three different Voyager class ships under our belt, the Sovereign of the Seas hold her own in every aspect.

It's correct the cabins can be a tad small, but our last trip aboard was so affordable we booked side by side rooms which gave us plenty of space (not to mention two showers!) for only a few $$$ more than a quad.

Fun ship. Friendly Crew. Go for it! icon_wink.gif

Thanks to everyone that post something nice. WE too are going on the Sovereign in 29 days (May 14-17). It is our first cruise and while I know everything may not be perfect, I at least want to be wowwed a little so my husband will want to cruise again.

To se the record straight(since my fellow Ocalans dont know)a Yellowbird is as follows:

1oz White Rum

3/4oz Creme de Banana

1/4oz Galliano

2oz Pineapple Juice

3/4oz Orange juice

KC320~~~~~~~ You are supposed to be recouperating!! icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000 RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

**RCCL SOS-8/27/04** Carnival Miracle-2/13/05**

we just got of of the sovereign on 4-16-2004.we had a great time again.the ship was in great shape and as always the crew was very nice.you will have a great time.any other questions you might have i will be glad to answer them for you.

We love Sovereign. Have sailed on her twice - the last time about 8 months ago. Yes, the rooms are small - the way all ship cabins used to be. No there aren't balconies - or balcony envy - the way all ships used to be. People actually got out and did their enjoyment of sea air in public spaces where they might meet each other. I would suggest an outside cabin and as close to mid-ship as you can get. If my hubbie suggested a quick Sovereign get-away, I would pack NOW.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

Flaboy, I leave tomorrow for monday sail on her. This is my first cruise. couple questions. Can I send postcards from the ship?

Did you go to Cococay? Anything you tell me about parasailing in Nassau?

Thanks, I am a rookie cruiser.

SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS CRUISE 4/19/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;04;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I fell in love with the ship just looking at her from the parking lot at the pier. You know what they say...beauty gets better with age? She may not be a big ship compared to the new ones these days but she's "just right" for me.

I knew my inside cabin would be small but still was a little shocked when we first opened the door. It became a "no big deal" fast though.

Can't wait to go on the Sovereign again. Can't wait to go back to CoCo Cay again!

Kelly

My Cruise Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/kfrancis5

Cruise Critic Partae Pirates Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Carnival Miracle 02/13/05

Sovereign of the Seas, Cabin #4057 - 9/21/03

Brilliance of the Seas, Cabin #8670 - 11/09/2002

Paradise, Cabin E194 - 09/01/2001

Atlantic, 12/1991

We sailed the Sovereign in June 2002 and will be sailing her again this coming August. She's a wonderful ship; very classy with lots of brass and wood - absolutely NOTHING tacky about her. You will see some age, but mostly in th staterooms. The staff is wonderful and they're constantly cleaning, replacing, repairing. I've read reviews about dishes, etc. being left lying around, but didn't see any of this. Nor did I notice any of the smells mentioned in some reviews. I would sail her much more often, but we're in SC, and it's a long drive to Port Canaveral and too pricey for me to fly. Enjoy your cruise, and don't let the little things dissuade you.

Happy Cruising!

I am getting ready to post my review on a separate thread because it is so long. Just suffice it to say, that having been on the Monarch twice (when she was FLL) and now the Sovereign twice, I love the Sovereign class. The ship and staff are the definition of graciousness. I have not been on the bigger ships and frankly, I am a bit worried! (Well, not truly WORRIED!... icon_wink.gif)

Barbara

Monarch 6/02, 4/03

Enchantment 7/03

Sovereign 12/03, 4/04

Voyager to Canada 7/04

Navigator 12/04

pjm

no we did not make it to coco cay.bad weather the whole week ..cold windy and rainy.i don't know much about parasailing in nassau,cable beach would be the place to go for that i'm told.any other questions?just ask.not to sure about sending post cards from ship.i think you can if not you can mail them from nassau.

We had a great time both times we sailed on the Sovereign. We LOVE the crew. Everyone is so nice. Yes the ship shows her age a little, but not nearly as much as I thought she would. I have pictures of the ship in my albums on fotki. Just use the link below...

Have a great cruise!

Bobbie

Voyager of the Seas in....

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Adventure of the Seas 2-03

Enchantment of the Seas 3-03

Majesty of the Seas 5-03

Adventure of the Seas 9-03

Sovereign of the Seas 11-03

Sovereign of the Seas 1-04

Grandeur of the Seas 3-04

My albums can be viewed with this link...

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/

Archived