What is with all these 15 year old girls?

jackdallas

I keep reading reviews with complaints with approx. 600 15 year old girls. How can they get on the cruise alone. Is there any truth to this? Where are their parents?

I don't think they are on their own - here's a good definition of what it's probably all about. We were on a cruise in summer of 07 out of PR and they had a bunch from the Dominican Republic on board.

The Quinceañera or Quince años is, in some Spanish-speaking regions of the Americas, a young woman's celebration of her fifteenth birthday, which is commemorated in a unique and different way from her other birthdays. It is sometimes represented XV Años, meaning "15 years." Only a few countries call the actual party "quinceañera."

In the hispanic culture, it is customary to have a large party when a girl turns 15. It's called a quinceanera, and it's similar to a Sweet 16. In places like Miami or Puerto Rico, the Quinceaneras are sometimes held on cruise ships. There are travel agencies that book group space on specific cruises for this purpose.

I think what the OP is asking is how there can be so many underaged girls on board without parents. I've never encountered this "phenomena" so am not sure - there have to be families attached to these girls, no?

LOL, probably a lot of family members...

Traveling with a large group is not something I want to do again, ever!

###

I keep reading reviews with complaints with approx. 600 15 year old girls. How can they get on the cruise alone. Is there any truth to this? Where are their parents?

They come onboard to celebrate their Quinceanera. That is an event that celebrates a 15 year-old girl's transition from girlhood to womanhood when she turns 16. A "Sweet Sixteen Party", Latin style. It is truly a special time in a girls life and is done up wonderfully by the families, the church and others. Here is a link to a very brief idea of what it's all about.

I've been on cruises where these hundreds of girls are having the time of their lives. For the most part, they are polite and well-behaved. They are very well chaperoned with an adult in each cabin. There will be very nice events on the ship just for them as part of the ceremonies. In the evenings, on special nights, they will all show up beautifully dressed in formal gowns, hair dressed and everyone is in their finery.

Those who might complain about their presence, or the fun they have in the disco dancing to their music (they have the same club-curfew as other minors) and other of their activities, are just being mean-spirited. They don't have a clue what it is, what it's about or what a special time it is in these young women's lives.

Link:

http://www.quinceanera-boutique.com/quinceaneratradition.htm

We saw this last year on Liberty. I believe the girls were from Venezuala and every one a potential Miss World. They were very well behaved, beautifully dressed in the evening and appeared to be mainly chapperoned with lots of organised events. They sang in the main dining room. Like I said, they were stunning.

Archived