Taking drink on board

brio

Once in Barbados, we got off the ship in the morning and then came right back with our rum purchases. At that time, the tables were not set up. It were as though we had "forgotten" something as we were the only ones re-boarding. If you wrap a beach towel around your choice of beverage it won't make the give away sound that security is listening for.

Jim

Since when you reboard the ship in any port, you put everything through the security scanners, if they are checking closely and are confiscating things, they will find it. You can hide the sound, you can hide the cans or bottles anywhere you like. But if they happen to crack down on your cruise, the scanners will pick up any items in your bags.

It all depends on if you want to take the chance or not. Usually, it gets through, but don't get upset if all of a sudden they begin to enforce those rules. They do things without any notice, so it is totally up to the passenger if they chance it or not.

PaddleAddict-sorry can't remember much about their wine choices; I know they had more spirits than wine available. This was at the pier at Old San Juan. Outside the duty free they had different tables set up to sample flavored rums; then you entered the duty free. Based on the $ value of your purchases you could get handfuls of free mini bottles as you exited the store (which then led right to the line for security to enter the ship). That's where everyone stopped to stuff their bags with their purchases. I'd guess it's a hit or miss thing as to whether or not they'd take anything. They seemed very lenient but I think they like having a policy in place if they need to enforce it based on what they see.

How did you carry on the beer? Was it in plain sight?

I always bring a big duffle bag with me when I fly into a certain port. I then put some of my clothes that were in my suit case in the duffle bag. This way it leaves room for the 12 packs of beer I put into my suit case. I usually have 2 suit cases so you can divide it up so one suit case is not real heavy. I have done this for 6 cruises now and it has worked fine every time. I have not had anything break or leak YET !!!!

Dan

Archived