Taking drink on board

brio

Has anyone taken drink on board a Princess ship recently?

We are sailing on the Sea Princess from Montego Bay, November 8th and were wondering if we would be able to take a few bottles of wine on board to enjoy on our balcony.

We last cruised two years ago but didn't bother trying to take any on board as we thought the security would take it off us.:)

Thankyou for your reply . . . . that really surprises me!

I'm sure that any drink you actually buy on board in the shop is kept and handed to you at the end of the cruise. So with that in mind I thought the security would not allow you to take any drink on board that had been bought at one of the ports.

Good!:) :)

Wine is fine to bring aboard. They also really don't check for anything else in your carry on.

Well....sometimes Princess does take liquor in carry on luggage, or bags brought on from ports. Better to put it in checked luggage just in case. I know it doesn't happen often, but I have seen the tables set up just after coming back from ports & they have taken the bottles until the last night.

Jan

They definitely have a table set up in the gangway area to take bottles coming in fromt he ports to be held until the last day.

WIne - they say 1 bottle per person is allowed for carry on, but I have not seen any taken away when embarking (within reason of course, a case would be probably too much).

Hard liquor may be taken away if you try to carry it on during embarkation. You wil need to place it in your checked bags. Try www.rumrunnerflasks.com

We brought two bottles of wine in a carry-on to the ship from a port. I called the purser's desk before we did it. Said two bottles wold be fine. No sense buying it and not having it. When we embarked Security asked if I "had bottles in there". I said yes and they sent me on my way with the wine. However, my checked baggage was opened at the airport. (There was a notice). I think it was the cork screw that was spotted in the X ray thing. That was the only difference in the baggage and we have flown quite a bit this summer. It was a fantastic cruise. Our first one and certainly not the last.

Myself and my wife have cruised before with Princess and thought the same thing, but we are going on another one leaving New York in Oct. to the Caribbean. We asked our travle agent, and I also called Princess myself to confirm that we can take booze on board. You are allowed 1 bottle of wine each (wine only). Should helps with the 35 - 50 dollar per bottle for the 750ml. Be sure to take it on with your carry on luggage. Also some people I know have taken vodka in water bottles as well.

You can also find that on the Princess web site about bring WINE only on board.

Hope this helps

Thanks cool cruiser!

No doubt we will take some wine on board now. However I do find it strange that they will allow you to take wine on board but not spirits - after all they are both alcohol, so what's the difference ! !

Myself and my wife have cruised before with Princess and thought the same thing, but we are going on another one leaving New York in Oct. to the Caribbean. We asked our travle agent, and I also called Princess myself to confirm that we can take booze on board. You are allowed 1 bottle of wine each (wine only). Should helps with the 35 - 50 dollar per bottle for the 750ml. Be sure to take it on with your carry on luggage. Also some people I know have taken vodka in water bottles as well.

You can also find that on the Princess web site about bring WINE only on board.

Hope this helps

Welcome to CC. Are you on the repo cruise? Please come join our roll call. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=537615&page=82

Thanks cool cruiser!

No doubt we will take some wine on board now. However I do find it strange that they will allow you to take wine on board but not spirits - after all they are both alcohol, so what's the difference ! !

The only reason that comes to mind is that it cuts into their profits since people usually don't drink wine during the day when sitting around at the pool but will drink a mixed drink just about anytime.

They definitely have a table set up in the gangway area to take bottles coming in fromt he ports to be held until the last day.

WIne - they say 1 bottle per person is allowed for carry on, but I have not seen any taken away when embarking (within reason of course, a case would be probably too much).

Hard liquor may be taken away if you try to carry it on during embarkation. You wil need to place it in your checked bags. Try www.rumrunnerflasks.com

We just walk by the table when everyone else is turning their liquor in.No one has ever said a word.

The only reason that comes to mind is that it cuts into their profits since people usually don't drink wine during the day when sitting around at the pool but will drink a mixed drink just about anytime.
It's been a while now, but I recall that RCCL did a study to determine whether or not aggressive enforcement of alcohol policies had any effect on bar sales. It didn't. I think these policies exist for one reason only, to give the cruise lines some ability to control alcohol consumption on board. I believe that the original driver was underage consumption and problems that involved spring break groups and senior class trips taken on cruise ships. More recent and highly publicized cases of people going overboard after drinking heavily on board, both at the lounges and with private stock, make such a policy necessary in those extreme cases where security must become involved.

When we cruised out of San Juan in January practically everyone was going through the duty free just prior to boarding and stuffing their carry on with the bottles-wine/spirits, etc. I didn't see anybody say anything about it. Some of it was quite noticeable too. I hope to repeat the process in December;)

When we cruised out of San Juan in January practically everyone was going through the duty free just prior to boarding and stuffing their carry on with the bottles-wine/spirits, etc. I didn't see anybody say anything about it. Some of it was quite noticeable too. I hope to repeat the process in December;)

Do they have decent wine in the duty free shops in San Juan? California wine?

It's been a while now, but I recall that RCCL did a study to determine whether or not aggressive enforcement of alcohol policies had any effect on bar sales. It didn't. I think these policies exist for one reason only, to give the cruise lines some ability to control alcohol consumption on board. I believe that the original driver was underage consumption and problems that involved spring break groups and senior class trips taken on cruise ships. More recent and highly publicized cases of people going overboard after drinking heavily on board, both at the lounges and with private stock, make such a policy necessary in those extreme cases where security must become involved.

It's always the isn't it . . . . the minority spoil if for the majority !

All my wife & I want to do is have a little drink on our balcony before we go for dinner. Judjing by all the replies there has been, I think we may well be able to do this! Anyone care to join us?

It's always the case isn't it . . . . the minority spoil it for the majority! All my wife & I want to do is have a quiet drink on our balcony before going to dinner. Judging by all the replies there has been I think we will be able to do this . . . .anyone care to join us?

It's always the case isn't it . . . . the minority spoil it for the majority! All my wife & I want to do is have a quiet drink on our balcony before going to dinner. Judging by all the replies there has been I think we will be able to do this . . . .anyone care to join us?

Brio, I noticed that you have a double post just to add a word. Did you know that you can edit your post by clicking the "edit" button after you hit submit? I'm not sure how much time it gives you, but it's at least 5 minutes in which to change a post.

To answer your question, we have found it necessary to "hide" hard liquor in our check luggage. Early in our cruising career, we tried to take a full, sealed bottle of spirits in our carry on and it was confiscated. Taking booze on in other ports is hit or miss. Sometimes they take it and then deliver it the last night and other times they don't say a word. Happy cruising! :)

Have a quick question. I live in Alaska....leaving out of FLL and want to buy...in FLL...a couple of bottles of my favorite rum....which is not sold in Alaska, nor will the distributor get it for us. I am sure they will confiscate the bottles, but do you get them back in LAX?????? I don't want to spend the $$ if I cannot be assured that I will get them back eventually....Thanks......

Have a quick question. I live in Alaska....leaving out of FLL and want to buy...in FLL...a couple of bottles of my favorite rum....which is not sold in Alaska, nor will the distributor get it for us. I am sure they will confiscate the bottles, but do you get them back in LAX?????? I don't want to spend the $$ if I cannot be assured that I will get them back eventually....Thanks......

If they take them from you, and that is a big if, yes, they will give them back to you on the last night of the cruise

Archived