RevNeal's Panama Canal Cruise Photos

RevNeal

Great pics - I apprecaite the ones of the Oosterdam. I neglected to get many while cruising. I think Igo as many of the Zaandam and Volendam as I did of the ship I was on.

If you'd like full-quality files of any of the other photos I took of the Oosterdam, please let me know. I'll be happy to email them to you.

BTW - you did a great job blowing up my pic and finding yourself on it.

Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate your letting me use the photo, and am glad to put the link to your album. You took excellent photos.

I would appreciate if you would email me pic 21 unedited. It is the one captioned "The Oosterdam looms large behind us." Maybe I can do the same and find myself up on deck 6.

I've sent it, along with the photo that has MUCH better resolution of people on the forward decks. I hope you can find yourself on one or both of those!

TO ALL WHO HAVE WRITTEN THEIR THANKS:

I want to thank YOU for your wonderful words. They are greatly appreciated. I enjoyed taking the photos, then presenting them on the internet, GREATLY. And, I'm gratified that so many of you have expressed you thanks for them.

Again, thanks!

Thanks for the pictures even though you didn't get many of the Ocean Bar

gatour, what photos/angles would you like?? You might also check the photos of the Ocean Bar on the Volendam. They're nearly identical.

Can you tell me Is the statendam very similar ?? That is the actual ship I will be cruising on, Are the public rooms about the same?? Thank you again-awsome Job

Thank you, Christine! You're precisely the kind of person I have in mind when I'm putting together my cruise photo presentations.

If you have your signatures active, click on the link at the bottom of this post. It will take you to a page on my website where I have a photo-tour of the Statendam. If you don't, click here:

http://www.revneal.org/cruiselinks.html

That will take you to my "Cruise Links" Page. :) It's being updated tonight with a link to my Zaandam Photos, but right now you can click on the link for the Circle-Hawaii Cruise on the Statendam and see what the lounges look like aboard her. She's a LOVELY ship ... my favorite HAL S-class ship.

Rev Neal,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful pictures. I've never been to most of the places you visited on this trip, yet feel like I was along with you. Your commentary was very helpful and the pictures are fantastic. I've enjoyed all of your trips but have to say that this one is my favorite to date.

I hope we are on the same ship some day and I can meet you and thank you in person. I've really enjoyed all of your insights into cruising and your sense of humor!

Best wishes,

Leslie

RevNeal,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! These are magnificent photos! I have enjoyed them so much, they brought beautiful memories of my Panama Canal Cruise aboard the Rotterdam last February! Your photos of HMC reminded me why I booked another HAL cruise this Thanksgiving coming up: I just have to go back to that beautiful island this year once again!!! The Caribbean is so beautiful! Again, thank you for your hard work, for sharing these beautiful pictures. AHHH, those sunsets, mountains, God's creation is so magnificent, He has given us such a beautiful world for us to enjoy, every day is a reminder of His love for us, and let's not forget the important responsability to take care of it! I just can't wait for my next cruise (I'll be able to enjoy once again full moon at sea on Nov 26!!!): 23 DAYS LEFT TO PARADISE!!!!

AlinaMaria

Thanks so much for the great photos! DH and I are going on the Zaandam in 3 weeks and I enjoyed getting a preview of the ship. Our 8th cruise, but first on HAL and we are looking forward to it very much. I appreciate you taking the time to post all those photos and comments.

RevNeal,

What a great job. You have worked very hard to make these great pictures available to us. I have learned a lot from your experiences. I know now not to go to Cartagena and even though I have been on Zaandam, I never looked at it as closely as you did.

I am longing for my next cruise even more!!!!! (Nov 26-Volendam!-28 days!!!)

BCEagle78,

You're very welcome. 28 days on the Volendam!? WONDERFUL! I love the Volendam ... she's a fantastic ship, sister to the Zaandam, with an excellent crew. I've been on her several times, and each time has been a joy.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks for the great album, Greg! Besides bringing back memories of a past Zaandam cruise it has me pumped for December's cruise.

I normally take 300-400 photos but I have promised myself to do better after seeing your effort!

Dear George,

Have you tried shooting in a RAW CCD mode (raw image charge coupled device)? Captures the maximum image, but limits the number of images between downloads.

Yes. My 256 MB xD cards will only hold about 34 photos when the CCD is set at RAW. My experience is that the resulting photos really don't print any better than those shot at HG or SHG set at 3:2 (the settings I nominally use). And, might I add, in preparation for uploading to the internet, I have photoshop-processed my pictures to get them from 1-1.5 MB down to about 40-80k (which is the acceptable size for internet storage and download). In other words, the quality of the images you are seeing on the internet is NOT the quality of the images which I shot, and which I have and can and do print. Nevertheless, thank you for your constructive criticism.

Also, consider that CF type cards constandly drains your batteries, whether on or off. The xD cards are the best.

Interesting. I haven't noticed any shortage of battery time on my Olympus 5060 when using CF. Are you thinking of Microdrives? I use two 512 MB Type 1 CF cards, not Microdrives, in addition to two 256 MB Xd cards.

As for power, I have two batteries and always keep one charged and on standby in case my first one run low.

No criticism meant or needed. I'm one of those types that pushes every button on a camera or computer. Although you won't break anything I used to do destructive software testing, hard to stop old habits.

You may be correct about the microdrives, not to be confused with your memory cards.

George

No criticism meant or needed. I'm one of those types that pushes every button on a camera or computer. Although you won't break anything I used to do destructive software testing, hard to stop old habits.

I didn't take your post negatively, George. I really do appreciate all the helpful remarks, thoughts, and "constructive criticism" I can get. I just don't find the RAW setting to be cost/space effective relative to the results. IF I'm trying to photograph something at an extreme distance, or I will set the camera to RAW in order to leach out the very best resolution possible to the Olympus 5060.

Again, thanks for the remarks and suggestions.

Archived