Pride of Aloha to PofAm - any waiving of room charges (tipping)?

kayo kruiser

I'm sure I read on one of the Boards that someone who had their cruise shifted to Pride of America, because of the cancellation of the Pride of Aloha trip, also was successful in having the $10 per person per day service charge waived in addition to the $200 per cabin ship credit that they received.

Has anyone else heard of that?

I'm sure I read on one of the Boards that someone who had their cruise shifted to Pride of America, because of the cancellation of the Pride of Aloha trip, also was successful in having the $10 per person per day service charge waived in addition to the $200 per cabin ship credit that they received.

No I have never heard of that and after the first of the year the service fee is going to increase to $12.00/pp per day.

What does one thing have to do with the other? Tips for the crew are still in order regardless of what ship you cruise on. I don't understand why someone would try and remove the daily service charge under these circumstances.

Is this something you're thinking of doing?

NCL and freestyle allow for the service charge to be removed just for the asking. Why one would execute this option tho......?????

actually the rule is they can't be removed unless you have had a service issue which they couldn't remedy(i.e you must complain first) but since so few people actually try to remove them the front desk just does it when requested. there have been occasional trips where they have enforced the rule....

I actually do remember the post you're speaking of - didn't agree with it at the time for the very same reason - the service on the ship would have to be extremely bad for me to even consider doing this - but then some will try to just because they can.

I actually do remember the post you're speaking of - didn't agree with it at the time for the very same reason - the service on the ship would have to be extremely bad for me to even consider doing this - but then some will try to just because they can.

This is very true. If these people were bumped from the Pride of Aloha, and the OP AND THEIR FRIENDS WERE, they should deal with the insurance company and NCL regarding any financial loss, and NOT take it out on the crew. But as you say, some people will try "just because they can". For some people, there is no amount of compensation that will satisfy them.

I have two points here. First is your cabin stewards and restaurant staff who will serve you several times a day had no control over NCL pulling the Aloha. Don't take it out on them. My second point, and more important is you should be paying ncl extra!!! You are going to a MUCH better ship then the Aloha but at the Aloha's costs and a bonus $200 credit. I know you will love the America and the crew once you step onto the ship. The Aloha was fine, but didn't compare to the America. Enjoy your cruise.

• Administrators

To answer the exact question, nope, haven't heard of it. To ask one of my own -- why in the name of all decency and conscience would you be considering this?

Did a single person on your ship do anything to you that you are planning on stiffing them on tips before you even board the vessel? If not, why are you taking out whatever issue you think you have on them?

This has to be one of the strangest tipping questions I've ever seen here -- not even a pretense that you want to remove the tips in order to tip "in person" -- you just want to stiff the crew because of a corporate decision that resulted you in being moved to a larger, newer vessel, with an OBC to boot. Even if the change in ships resulted in some extra expenses for you which you didn't purchase insurance to cover, how is that the crew's fault?? <boggle>

I hope if you pursue this you at least have the decency to tell the crew up front that they needn't expect any tips from you. I'm sure you will receive the same professional service from them regardless... but I think you should have the guts to look them in the eyes and explain your choice.

My thought was not that the crew was going to get stiffed whatsoever. Of course they should still get the gratuities.

Perhaps I'm being naive but I viewed the post as meaning that NCLA was going to pay the $10/pp/per day into the gratuity pot from their customer relations fund rather than have the customer whose travel plans were turned upside down pay it - as a goodwill gesture.

Most companies would see this as a normal cost of doing business and not expect it to come out of their employees' pockets. If that's not the case, then it should not even be an option.

Perhaps I'm being naive but I viewed the post as meaning that NCLA was going to pay the $10/pp/per day into the gratuity pot from their customer relations fund rather than have the customer whose travel plans were turned upside down pay it - as a goodwill gesture.

Most companies would see this as a normal cost of doing business and not expect it to come out of their employees' pockets. If that's not the case, then it should not even be an option.

Ok then, I think you are being naive. And I think you'll find most of us who have cruised NCL (or NCLA) agree with you-it shouldn't be an option :D

Perhaps I'm being naive but I viewed the post as meaning that NCLA was going to pay the $10/pp/per day into the gratuity pot from their customer relations fund rather than have the customer

Nope the poster that had them removed had them removed. NCL didn't pay it towards the pool. The crew loss from that poster over something they had no control over.

I will say it again though you are now on a muchhh better ship!

NCL and freestyle allow for the service charge to be removed just for the asking. Why one would execute this option tho......?????

without any offense to the OP..

these people are just low ingrades..even if one would feel service was sub par..why punish the entire crew..:confused:

Archived