Anyone back from Conquest?

Bobug

I keep hearing about Carnival knowing what was going on. Do they have a magic wand?

We didn't know what the conditions were, the weather people on the island didn't know.

We sure as heck didn't know what was the damage in NO

I also keep hearing about Carnival wanting to sale something.:eek: It's a business, and that is what businesses try to do.

I have deepest sympathy for those who decided to cruise this last week. I don't want anyone to have a bad time, but I think if you get some sleep, and try to get back into your normal routine, you will find out that no on knew what was going on.

I keep hearing about Carnival knowing what was going on. Do they have a magic wand?

We didn't know what the conditions were, the weather people on the island didn't know.

We sure as heck didn't know what was the damage in NO

I also keep hearing about Carnival wanting to sale something.:eek: It's a business, and that is what businesses try to do.

I have deepest sympathy for those who decided to cruise this last week. I don't want anyone to have a bad time, but I think if you get some sleep, and try to get back into your normal routine, you will find out that no on knew what was going on.

party_10.gif

I am so sorry to hear that you all had to go through this. I'm glad for the ones who made it home ok, and my prayers to the ones who are still trying. The reason why Carnival couldn't give you a timely explanation is because they didn't have one. After the storm, who ever the people are, had to go out and acess the damage. Carnival had to wait because no one knew. When they switch ports, they have to notify that port and get clearance to do so, they just can't go pulling up. Sometimes they can't tell a person until they get facts, no just guesstimations. They should have said this but sometimes I guess people don't know how to communicate properly. Oh, from the report, they couldn't use the port because they have to get divers to check the waters out to make sure it was free of debris.

I know you all are tired, frustrated, and angry, but in all fairness, try to understand the things that the cruise line is going through too. Not only do they have to figure out some way to get 3000 passengers home, taken care of and whatnot, but they also have to worry about the 3000 who are expecting to be on the cruise at the very moment. I know all this because I had no idea it was as bad as it was and I contacted my PVP Monday and he was telling me it was shear madness at Carnival.

People knew the storm would be bad, but like Katrina, NO ONE was expecting it to be THIS devestating.

If you are that pissed and have decided not to sail Carnival again, think about this. What if you had a business and something beyond your control went terribly wrong and you had only 100 people snarling down you back? You want sympathy for your situation, at least try to have a little empathy for theirs. The last thing Carnival wants to do is lose your business, but right now, things are really bad on their end. You think you got it bad just trying to make it home or the loss of your vehicle. I would not want to be a business right about now.

Erica

Having been on a delayed ship I can sympathise. ( We had to search for a "jumper" and had a medivac. )

I am very sorry Firefly33 and others had to go through with this. This would have really sucked if you would have been with anyone ill or mobility impared. Carnival should have given / arranged more tranportation / and more calls from the room.

Also it sounds like they should have helped more with flights. When I was delayed the cruiseline arranged another flight for us at their expense. (Even though we booked separately). And hotel for the night. I did not use the flight they got for us because I was able to get one on the same airline I was booked on, just later in the day.

Tom in Long Beach

My DH and I just got back from the Conquest. We are so exhausted right now, but I thought I would catch up a little on what was going on. So I will get right to it....was there a communication problem on board? Yes and no. Any major business is not going to spout off information to its customers without clear confirmation from its headquarters. Could you imagine telling 3000+ passengers one thing and then having to tell those same passengers (that just freaked out and changed all of their travel arrangements) something different? No way, there would have been an all out war on the Conquest! The Captain was trying to maintain a sense of optimism for the guests that perchance the Port of Galveston would be operable. No one knew anything, the Coast Guard didn't even get to the island until Saturday late day. The only way for the Captain to sail was to sail east. Up until the day of the Disembarkation talk, I think the communication was adequate and covered what they cruise line knew. They updated the path of Ike approx 3 - 4 times a day. There was even a TV channel dedicated to Ike. You could see his path anytime you wanted. That was constantly updated.

After the Disembarkation talk, yes people scramble to make arrangements. I am fortunate enough to have made some amazing friendships on board and was able to use one of their laptops. We all had car reservations within 30 minutes of the talk. I travel for a living so I made all of the reservations for 4 families very quickly. None of us had any problems. I did try the phone lines from my stateroom, but never was able to get through. The ship only has 5 dedicated lines for the cabins, they don't need more, because under normal circumstances not many people want to pay $6.99 minute. As for cell phone use, I didn't have any problems using my phone. I did call my brother and had him look at airfare for me and DH just in case I decided to fly instead of drive.

Everyone was given the option of staying on the ship like a hotel until Wednesday or continue on to Galveston or where the ship could port. We chose to stay one extra day. When do you get to stay in NO for free, right? Besides, DH had never been there. We knew it would be a mass exodus of people trying to get to the airport and rental car locations.

When we got into NO, Disembarkment was a little chaotic. I think the port was working with a skeleton crew as there didn't seem to be many Port workers. There were enough Porters for luggage, but the normal Port workers seemed to be few. The line was long regardless of anything. We were number 22, 2nd to last group called and it took us 3 hours to get from the Lobby (deck 3) to customs. Customs wasn't even checking passports or IDs. Just Customs declarations forms. We then had to wait about an hour to get back onto the ship. Once back on, we ate lunch and then took a nap and then headed out to NO for some fun. When we came back we all had letters stating that the ship would sail for Houston and if you were getting off the ship in NO to have you luggage out prior to 11pm so the crew could secure it for removal the next morning. We had returned around 11:30pm so were late for luggage removal. After a friend of ours was persuasive with the Pursers desk we had our luggage picked up at midnite.

Was this a great cruise, Absolutely. Would I cruise Carnival again, Absolutely. Could Carnival's communication have been better, at NO definitely, but other than that, I think they did their job. Could they have compensated us that had to arrange our own travel back home, Yes. Will I be writing a letter to Guest Relations, Yes. Was the staff amazing, YES! We made sure our tips stayed on the extra days we were on board and still tipped on top of that.

On Thursday, when Ike was looking like it would hit Galveston directly, we all but accepted the fact that our car was going to be a total loss. Once we got into Cozumel we called our car insurance company and started the claim. We didn't let this ruin our trip. Yeah, it sucks, but hey sometimes things happen and you just have to deal with what comes.

I just got back from Texas. Had to take some equipment from Idaho to Lufkin to the hurricane disaster relief site. It was after the hurricane hit so I missed all the evacuation rush. I am sorry that you had such a bad time in the end and the loss of a car. I hope most people had travel insurance to help cover the cost of the return home. I must say that the area down there is beautiful country as this was my first time in Texas. I am sorry for the devastation that this storm has done to your area.

Iwas on the Conquest and just got back late monday after trying for 5 hours to get a rental car and at the cost of $200 one way compact car nothing special . I know carnival cant help the weather and we knew we were travelling in hurricane season it didnt bother us that we probably lost our car in galveston or the fact we had to stay an extra day but the communication of a large company was appauling. We could have left Cozumel and headed for LA and would have pulled in on time and would have given us a day to arrange travel I think you would have to be niave if you think Carnival headquarters are not in communication with the ports and authorities its their business to be on top of this. My problem is I know they are not responsible for my loss of vehicle but the lack of help, it wouldnt have mattered if you couldnt get home you were dumped at LA I know you could stay on the boat for an extra time free of charge but if I would have done this I wouldnt have a job to go back to. I am from Scotland and dont have family members in this country to come get me or help. The pursers desk most of the time were helpful but I did come across a few that were rude and couldnt give a damn what problems we were coming across. We tried to ask about our vehicles and they dismissed any questions I only wanted information on what or who we contact. nothing more this was my first vacation in 20 years and had saved really hard and the dining staff and room staff were wonderful I would not cruise with carnival again due to the lack of communication and uncaring nature. I truly felt sorry for Jen she was the messenger and she was not supported by anyone and put out to receive the complaints.

I hope this would be a lesson for carnival customer relations department. I have one more thing I dont know why carnival even stop at Jamaica this place is nasty, dirty disgusting and shouldnt even get our dollars the people are rude and arrogant I would never go back I also met passengers from the Royal Caribean and they said the same. Two Irish boys went in for a beer and were charge $40 for 2 beers and they questioned this and were told if they didnt pay they wouldnt get out the bar. I know this is a poor country but its not a tourist paradise as portrayed. I would like to say what a great bunch of passengers and crew apart from the Captain and purser office staff.

Hi,

I just wanted to say I feel for those who were put into that position. The entire time you guys were out, those that were in the states were pretty sure you would not make it back to Galveston. Even if most of you did, those that drove and parked in the terminal have lost your vehicles.

This is where I don't think Carnival did those right! When they moved the Carnival Ship from NOLA a month ago due to the oil spill on the Miss. River, those that were getting off the ship in Mobile were given transportation back to NOLA and those flying into NOLA were given transportation to Mobile. The oil spill was not Carnival's fault either but they accomodated those affected. Why not give the same respect to those who did NOT cancel their cruise! It was not Carnival's fault that they went to NOLA; however they should have made arrangements for those to get back to Galveston! I sit and wonder how many people actually stayed on the ship and will stay on the ship until it returns to Galveston? Do they actually think most do not have families or jobs to get back to! I could see me calling my boss and telling them "Hey I can't come back to work and don't know when I will return because I'm on the ship with no way back to Galveston" Somehow I don't think my boss would go for that! ;)

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but to those who are just down right UGLY, there is no need for that. I know if I went on a cruise and I was diverted to another port, I would be pretty much stuck. I put money aside to cruise, but no one expects to have to come out of pocket to change plane tickets or rent a car back home. I know I don't have "EXTRA" money lying around.

Keep your chin up Firefly! Please don't cry! Until others that are posting actually walk in your shoes, they have no right to be UGLY.

Keri :D

Iwas on the Conquest and just got back late monday after trying for 5 hours to get a rental car and at the cost of $200 one way compact car nothing special . I know carnival cant help the weather and we knew we were travelling in hurricane season it didnt bother us that we probably lost our car in galveston or the fact we had to stay an extra day but the communication of a large company was appauling. We could have left Cozumel and headed for LA and would have pulled in on time and would have given us a day to arrange travel I think you would have to be niave if you think Carnival headquarters are not in communication with the ports and authorities its their business to be on top of this. My problem is I know they are not responsible for my loss of vehicle but the lack of help, it wouldnt have mattered if you couldnt get home you were dumped at LA I know you could stay on the boat for an extra time free of charge but if I would have done this I wouldnt have a job to go back to. I am from Scotland and dont have family members in this country to come get me or help. The pursers desk most of the time were helpful but I did come across a few that were rude and couldnt give a damn what problems we were coming across. We tried to ask about our vehicles and they dismissed any questions I only wanted information on what or who we contact. nothing more this was my first vacation in 20 years and had saved really hard and the dining staff and room staff were wonderful I would not cruise with carnival again due to the lack of communication and uncaring nature. I truly felt sorry for Jen she was the messenger and she was not supported by anyone and put out to receive the complaints.

I hope this would be a lesson for carnival customer relations department. I have one more thing I dont know why carnival even stop at Jamaica this place is nasty, dirty disgusting and shouldnt even get our dollars the people are rude and arrogant I would never go back I also met passengers from the Royal Caribean and they said the same. Two Irish boys went in for a beer and were charge $40 for 2 beers and they questioned this and were told if they didnt pay they wouldnt get out the bar. I know this is a poor country but its not a tourist paradise as portrayed. I would like to say what a great bunch of passengers and crew apart from the Captain and purser office staff.

Again, I am sorry about your cruise. If you don't mind, I would like to ask you a question, and also let you know something, so that your trip home, might be understandable to you.

What did you think the Pursers desk could have told you about your car?

These car lots are not Carnival parking lots. These are run by independent companies, unless I am wrong.

I keep hearing people say that the news was on TV. I know that the local news on the Conquest is Denver, but could the passengers not get CNN where it was wall to wall coverage?

Now info to help you. Many of us were watching the Conquest as it sat in Coz. When you left, NO was questionable. Not for cruise ships, but for the people there, who were once again faced with floods due to one of the levees breaching. Also as you guys left they were not sure that Ike would not stall out in Texas, which would also have been big enough to effect NO.

I know there was a mad scramble to get to a computer, and to an airline, and to a rental car, but did everyone get to do it in time?

Do you think that some of this mess was produced by passengers, who forgot the advice we always tell them on here, about being patient?

I know that someone will come on here next and say that I am blaming the passengers, but hopefully they will first read what I have said.

Again, I am sorry for your inconvenience, but if you could help us understand better, it would be beneficial to others later.

I was only looking for information that we couldnt obtain on who we should contact regarding my vehicle I dont come from USA I do live here in Arkansas dont have family here that I could call and say pick us up or financially able to come up with flights I didnt expect carnival to compensate me for my car I asked if they could get me telephone numbers this is before the debarkment meeting when the madness set in I called my insurance company friday as I presumed it was totalled but I only wanted the telephone of the authorities in galveston to see if I could get my car towed or something, this was before IKe actually hit. I think they could have bused us as near as possible to Galveston and at least we would be back to the point we were picked up.

Hi,

This is where I don't think Carnival did those right! When they moved the Carnival Ship from NOLA a month ago due to the oil spill on the Miss. River, those that were getting off the ship in Mobile were given transportation back to NOLA and those flying into NOLA were given transportation to Mobile. The oil spill was not Carnival's fault either but they accomodated those affected. Why not give the same respect to those who did NOT cancel their cruise! It was not Carnival's fault that they went to NOLA; however they should have made arrangements for those to get back to Galveston! I sit and wonder how many people actually stayed on the ship and will stay on the ship until it returns to Galveston? Do they actually think most do not have families or jobs to get back to! I could see me calling my boss and telling them "Hey I can't come back to work and don't know when I will return because I'm on the ship with no way back to Galveston" Somehow I don't think my boss would go for that! ;)

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but to those who are just down right UGLY, there is no need for that. I know if I went on a cruise and I was diverted to another port, I would be pretty much stuck. I put money aside to cruise, but no one expects to have to come out of pocket to change plane tickets or rent a car back home. I know I don't have "EXTRA" money lying around.

Keep your chin up Firefly! Please don't cry! Until others that are posting actually walk in your shoes, they have no right to be UGLY.

Keri :D

I agree! I really have a problem with Carnival not providing some sort of help to get home from Orleans........

Sue, I love your attitude regarding this entire situation and I'm glad to see that someone can at least partially understand what the cruiseline is having to go through besides dealing with your own trouble. Glad you're ok.

WOW, talk about turning a lemony situation into lemonade!!

Keri, perhaps it was because the ship decided to go ahead and sail to the Houston Texas Terminal. Not sure about the oil spill, but sounds like it would have taken a little longer than a couple of days to clean up. Why rent cars and airfare for about 2 to 3000 folks when you can just wait a day or two, or three and sail back. I would have done like Sue and enjoyed the time, free food, and toured NO. That continual B* and griping will only elevate your blood pressure. No since in doing all that to a situation out of your control. I handle life like that, because we all know, at any unscheduled notice, S* happens.

I was only looking for information that we couldnt obtain on who we should contact regarding my vehicle I dont come from USA I do live here in Arkansas dont have family here that I could call and say pick us up or financially able to come up with flights I didnt expect carnival to compensate me for my car I asked if they could get me telephone numbers this is before the debarkment meeting when the madness set in I called my insurance company friday as I presumed it was totalled but I only wanted the telephone of the authorities in galveston to see if I could get my car towed or something, this was before IKe actually hit. I think they could have bused us as near as possible to Galveston and at least we would be back to the point we were picked up.

Cathie,

Now that you are home, where do you wish Carnival had bussed you back to. Not Galveston or Houston, because you would have run into a lot more problems.

You also must realize that the authorities were a bit busy to worry about non human cars in a parking lot, right?

I think if they could have bused us to texas would have been a start then it would have been up to us but to be in a strange state no help my insurance company would not pay for my rental until they assessed my vehicle so I would have had to walk if I didnt keep some money aside for emergency's but I like others was just lucky.

You do realize that every available bus was being used to get everyone out of this area. That was also on the news.

We have evacuees here in our little town.

Again, You could not have gotten back into Galveston, so where did you want them to take you?

I didnt expect carnival to compensate me for my car I asked if they could get me telephone numbers this is before the debarkment meeting when the madness set in I called my insurance company friday as I presumed it was totalled but I only wanted the telephone of the authorities in galveston to see if I could get my car towed or something, this was before IKe actually hit. I think they could have bused us as near as possible to Galveston and at least we would be back to the point we were picked up.

On Friday morning the island was already flooding ahead of the storm; the authorities were far more concerned with getting PEOPLE off the island than with towing a cruise passenger's car. :mad:

After Ike, Carnival had to make decisions without full information about the conditions on the island. Heck, the Coast Guard just re-opened the Houston Ship Channel today. They can't just willy-nilly tell the harbor pilots to bring ships on in. Carnival should have had a better thought out contingency plan but bringing people back to Galveston would have been pointless due to the horrible condition the cruise terminal was left in.

Unfortunately for anyone who parked at the terminal in Galveston - your car is going to be totalled. Your insurance company adjusters can't get onto the island yet and it may be several more days before they can. I understand the desire to get your vehicle dealt with, but it's going to take some time. There is no power, no water/sewer service on the island and it may take upwards of a month to restore those essential services.

My brother's car was parked on the island and it is almost certainly going to be totalled. He checked on his car yesterday morning and it had flooded badly, and the mold is already starting on the interior. He said the vehicles left at the cruise terminal parking lots were in very bad shape - flipped over, washed halfway across the lot, pushed into other cars, on top of other cars. By the time the authorities can deal with those vehicles, they will be well past the point of salvage.

I think if they could have bused us to texas would have been a start then it would have been up to us but to be in a strange state no help my insurance company would not pay for my rental until they assessed my vehicle so I would have had to walk if I didnt keep some money aside for emergency's but I like others was just lucky.

It then becomes a question as to WHERE they would bus you in Texas. Most people were headed to the Dallas area to get away from the storm. I can guarantee you that 99% of the people on that cruise wouldn't have been any happier being planted into Dallas than they were to be in New Orleans. Unfortunately they also cannot bus you to every town in Texas either. I considered this while I was watching all of this unfold because I too wondered what was going to happen and how Carnival would handle it. There really wasn't any other alternative to make anyone happy because you couldn't get into Galveston and you definitely couldn't get into Houston (every sign in Dallas boldly stated DO NOT GO TO HOUSTON). So, since there are no other sizable towns near Houston and definitely no others with airports nearby, Dallas would have been the only feasible option in Texas. However, I just don't see how that helps or makes any difference between being in New Orleans and being there.

I feel for your losses and know if I were in your shoes it would definitely be beyond stressful. However, there wasn't really a clear cut way to handle this that I could think of.

My car wasnt in the terminal it was on the Comfort Inn stewart beach parking lot and we paid the hotel I think I lost my days I called before the storm hit to get my car towed this has been a nightmare and I only wanted to be bused to a point maybe easier to get home but felt very vulnerable and dumped in a strange place. I hope you will do better than I am doing this is very stressful and would not wish this on you or anyone I understand that the people have lost more than a stupid car but we went home to storm damage home and cant get to work having to pay for a rental we only have one car. so please dont judge. and scream at me just be understanding and hope and pray this never happens to you.

My car wasnt in the terminal it was on the Comfort Inn stewart beach parking lot and we paid the hotel I think I lost my days I called before the storm hit to get my car towed this has been a nightmare and I only wanted to be bused to a point maybe easier to get home but felt very vulnerable and dumped in a strange place. I hope you will do better than I am doing this is very stressful and would not wish this on you or anyone I understand that the people have lost more than a stupid car but we went home to storm damage home and cant get to work having to pay for a rental we only have one car. so please dont judge. and scream at me just be understanding and hope and pray this never happens to you.

No one is yelling and I think everyone is pretty understanding. I think we're just saying there isn't really anywhere they could have bussed you that would have been any more convenient than where you already were. And even if they could have, all the buses were pretty much being used at that point. Again, I'm sorry about your car and hope everything works out.

The reason I am asking so many questions is we can turn this thread into a learning thread instead of I told you so one.

I hope that the ones who complained before about communication on the ship, has now learned that none of us knew what was going to happen.

The pursers desk was being worked by humans. Humans tend to get bitchy, when they have people yelling at them. Not necessary you, but the ones before you.

It was not necessary for all 3000 people to try and use the computers at once. You had plenty of time.

The thing about Carnival making money is easily explained. They were in fact loosing money, not making more. Your room, and food were taken care of. Most people by this time, have run out of money anyway.

If you decided you needed a drink during this time, then you might need to re-read about the Pursers desk.:rolleyes:

Okay, someone else add to what has been learned over this.

Archived