Anyone back from Conquest?

Bobug

Ill be honest, I now have tears streaming down my face reading these posts and trying not to bawl over people who I dont know and probably arent folks Id want to know in real life either.

I know part is Im still unable to sleep, was up most all night from being so stressed out. I was with two handicapped ladies. I can manage one, but not two when I was feeling so bad. My sister had petit mal seizures all day on Sunday and throughout the night and there I was having to leave her by herself in the cabin to go stand in line for hours to make a phone call to get her out of the mess. No of course its not all Carnival's fault, but they could have done better by us. Im entitled to my feeling too.

thank you for seeing how we feel too. I appreciate it.

Firefly I'm sorry that you have had to deal with any of this. I think people need to remember that until you (anyone) finds themselves in this situation personally it is so easy to say ..."Why didn't you do this or that" or the "You should have's". Basically with all that aside a little compassion for someone who had to endure a difficult situation goes a long way. You can learn alot about people on these boards. I for one feel badly for anyone that has found themselves in a difficult position and regardless of what should've been done or wasn't done. I hope that when you contact Carnival they are able to understand your perspective and find a way to make this situation better. As big as Carnival is I think many of these unpredictable situations are learning experiences for them. It helps them determine how to handle future incidents. Your input may very well help to make it better for someone in your situation in the future.

Please remember that it's easy for people to hide behind a message board and to spew nasty comments lacking any compassion. Not everyone is like that so put those that tend to be nasty on ignore. It will make a more pleasant experience for you. You don't have to defend your feelings to those that simply won't budge either. You may have to move on and accept it is what it is and you are most certainly entitled to your feelings :)

I wanted them to print off more updates on the hurricanes position and put them up on the map board more often. If I had been home and affected I sure would have been tracking the storm more closely than I could from on the ship. Lots of folks were very frustrated.

Did the CONQUEST not have network television onboard? When we sailed on the ELATION and ECSTASY both had network television.

I'm sorry if I didn't use the "quote" feature correctly. I don't post often.

Ok now I believe you are trying to stir the pot:rolleyes:

If anything....2 experienced cruisers on this ship did learn from this. Which is they are probably done cruising with Carnival............

It never ceases to amaze me:cool:

I think I missed it. Were you actually on the Conquest over the weekend? Or are you just being the Anti-Cheerleader?

After reading through everything, I find it interesting that the only person who doesn't think it so terrible was the one who was able to find a computer and get a car quickly. Of course, it isn't so bad when getting out was easy.

I didn't get out of this so easy if that is what you think. I had to drive over 12 hours to get home and still have to deal with the insurance companies to try and get a reimbursement on the rental car, not to mention my F-150 fishtank that is sitting at EZ cruise. I am a planner by nature and had already put a plan in action to prepare for whatever Carnival was going to throw our way. I assumed we would be going to Miami or New Orleans so either way, I had my plan ready to implement. Maybe this is why you think I had it easy, because I thought ahead and took care of myself and didn't wait for Carnival to take care of me. I still don't think this cruise was a "terrible" experience from what you imply. I am not going to judge an entire cruise experience on a few days of miscommunication. We are all adults, thus giving us the capacity to make decisions and plans for ourselves. I am not going to wait for someone else to control my fate.

Yep you missed it.......I was referring to Debe7ing and Firefly.........

Both posted........go back and read.....

If you weren't on the ship, then the actual passengers don't need your cheerleading of them any more than the rest of us need anyone's cheerleading for Carnival.

Some of us are just interested in reading about people's experiences. If you didn't have that particular experience, then why are you so hostile toward people who are simply asking some questions or posing some possibilities for why things happened as they did?

I happen to be in the camp that believes giving information too early, when things are still very apt to change, would be worse than giving no information. It's easy for us to sit here and say, "but Carnival HAD to know this by xx:xx am!" when we have no idea what Carnival knew when, or when any decisions could definitively be made.

I'm sorry for what the passengers had to go through.

If you weren't on the ship, then the actual passengers don't need your cheerleading of them any more than the rest of us need anyone's cheerleading for Carnival.

Some of us are just interested in reading about people's experiences. If you didn't have that particular experience, then why are you so hostile toward people who are simply asking some questions or posing some possibilities for why things happened as they did?

I happen to be in the camp that believes giving information too early, when things are still very apt to change, would be worse than giving no information. It's easy for us to sit here and say, "but Carnival HAD to know this by xx:xx am!" when we have no idea what Carnival knew when, or when any decisions could definitively be made.

I'm sorry for what the passengers had to go through.

Excuse me:rolleyes: Thanks for your advise but I will pass:rolleyes:

Carry on!

Well I can't speak for your policy, but the one I have for October states:

8. A delay that causes you to miss or interrupt any part of your

covered trip when...the common carrier was scheduled to arrive at the contracted departure or return point at least two hours (or the required minimum reporting time, whichever is the greater) in advance of

the contracted time of departure or return..

Don, what policy is that? I suspect, from the wording, that it is available to you in Canada from RSA group, but is not available to the US. It also sounds like a Trip Delay section, not Trip Interruption, but that is just a guess.

FWIW, the Carnival policy, plus most of the major independant travel policies do have TRIP DELAY coverage, but it is not for the full value of the coverage (as is cancellation and interruption). Trip delay coverage here ranges from $500-$1000 on most policies, but the exact nature of the coverage varies in each policy, as does whether or not this sort of problem (going to an alternate return port due to weather/hurricane damage) counts as interruption or delay:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/3/bad-weather.shtml#td

Excuse me:rolleyes: Thanks for your advise but I will pass:rolleyes:

Carry on!

You're welcome! :rolleyes:

And if you can sit and criticize everyone who dares to post and not bash the horrible uncaring inconsiderate corporate giant, then I can question your hostility.

Pfffft. Are we done with the childishness, now? Neither of us are really contributing to the thread, so I'll quit without thinking I have to have the last word. Because I'm all grown up!

You're welcome! :rolleyes:

And if you can sit and criticize everyone who dares to post and not bash the horrible uncaring inconsiderate corporate giant, then I can question your hostility.

Pfffft. Are we done with the childishness, now? Neither of us are really contributing to the thread, so I'll quit without thinking I have to have the last word. Because I'm all grown up!

Hey you tell me.........you quoted me and I just answered:D

Don, what policy is that? I suspect, from the wording, that it is available to you in Canada from RSA group, but is not available to the US. It also sounds like a Trip Delay section, not Trip Interruption, but that is just a guess.

FWIW, the Carnival policy, plus most of the major independant travel policies do have TRIP DELAY coverage, but it is not for the full value of the coverage (as is cancellation and interruption). Trip delay coverage here ranges from $500-$1000 on most policies, but the exact nature of the coverage varies in each policy, as does whether or not this sort of problem (going to an alternate return port due to weather/hurricane damage) counts as interruption or delay:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/3/bad-weather.shtml#td

Hmm, first time I've ever seen a hurricane referred to as "inclement weather".

The purpose of my post was not to say you are covered, but to say, don't assume you aren't covered look at your policy carefully and try to make a claim. Others here have reported getting reimbursed for expenses for there insurance.

Well, I guess the insurance companies get to define things the way they want. They also specify in some policies what is and is not a natural disaster, and I've always thought that term sounded an oxymoron.

But I still would be interested in knowing your policy--it sounds much more comprehensive than most of the ones I see listed here and would like to find out if it is available in the US.

Please don't hate me for asking this question - I really don't intend to be mean by it, or to criticize anyone in any way.

Am I the only one that prints off a list of 1-800 numbers for all of the major airlines, hotels, and car rental companies? Seriously, I make a file full of information and I dedicate a page or two to contact numbers for alternative transportation and lodging just in case the worst happens. I also ensure that I have enough availability on a credit card to get home from wherever I need to, just in case something comes up.

I also take with me a list of the nearest American embassies for all of the ports that I visit and research what to do if I run into police problems while in each country.

Maybe I really do have obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Please don't hate me for asking this question - I really don't intend to be mean by it, or to criticize anyone in any way.

Am I the only one that prints off a list of 1-800 numbers for all of the major airlines, hotels, and car rental companies? Seriously, I make a file full of information and I dedicate a page or two to contact numbers for alternative transportation and lodging just in case the worst happens. I also ensure that I have enough availability on a credit card to get home from wherever I need to, just in case something comes up.

I also take with me a list of the nearest American embassies for all of the ports that I visit and research what to do if I run into police problems while in each country.

Yes, I would have to agree. You do have obsessive compulsive disorder :D . BUT you know what, you make a couple excellent suggestions for any future vacations cuz I've never brought this much info on a trip. I might now.

I also do all that. I figure it's best to have to much info than not enough.

Well, I guess the insurance companies get to define things the way they want. They also specify in some policies what is and is not a natural disaster, and I've always thought that term sounded an oxymoron.

But I still would be interested in knowing your policy--it sounds much more comprehensive than most of the ones I see listed here and would like to find out if it is available in the US.

The company is ETFS, it looks like it is Canada only.

Not the only person...

I also print out the latest airline schedules for the dates I am traveling in case my flight is delayed/changed or the ship comes back late, etc. It's saved me at least twice by knowing possible flights that I could be changed to!

And having those 800 numbers has gotten me a hotel when my flight was canceled due to bad weather, so I got to sleep in a bed as opposed to on the floor of the terminal!

My heart does go out to all the victims of Ike. I lived on Bermuda when we had a hurricane once. We had no where to evacuate too. One of the scariest nights of my life and it was only a Cat 1.

Why is it that Hurricanes usually hit at night?

I have no doubt that Carnival's decision making process was being directly controlled by their "Business Prevention Unit", which in laymans terms is their legal council. Undoubtedly passenger safety came first, but decisions by legal staff played into what could or couldn't be said to crew and passengers.

Please do not confuse me with IKE.

Mike

I agree. Carnival Corp. was worried about liabilities. Companies used to be able to help people. but often now get sued by helping someone. If they gave you a free bus ride to the airport and the bus crashed, would they be liable??? Anyway, anytime there is a change to travel plans, folks complain of not enough communication, early enough communication, wrong information, changing information, communication not in their language, etc. The complaint is in just about ever review of a trip where something changes. Hindsight will find something the business did wrong.

I am sorry this happened. It could have been handled better and it could have been worse. Those who were there are sharing their experience which should help us all. Thank you.

I am so tired of hearing you folks say That's what happens when you sail in Hurricane season. It should not matter. People need and have a right to know what is going on. If there was a problem with the ship while you were out, would you not want to know in a timely manner what is going on? I am very new to cruising and look forward to more cruises in the future with Carnival but if this is how they are going to handle diffucult situations in the future I may have to think about other options. For those of you who are so gung ho about Carnival remember you are paying them, not the other way around. If people would stop making excuses for them maybe they will see that and change the way they handle things in the future. My prayers are with everyone in this diffucult time. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

I agree with you. When on a plane, do you really need to wait until you are in a beeline to the ground before you have someone tell you the plane is in trouble? Well, that may have been a bit dramatic but my point is this, if you want to keep your passengers happy, don't lie to them. Don't tell them Saturday evening to place their baggage outside their rooms for debarkation tomorrow when they know full well there won't be debarkation in Galveston. Don't insult our intelligence. Treat us as if we deserve the respect that we are entitled to. All we wanted was information. That's it. Just information. And from the only people who could possibly give it to us. Why can't everyone just see that? We weren't asking for anything unreasonable. Not only were we unable to make advanced plans but we had family that were worried about us who we couldn't even begin to tell what was happening. I mean really, how many times can you tell your family, "We are fine. We are on the ship sailing to.... ummmm..... somewhere. You will see us when you see us."

Don't tell them Saturday evening to place their baggage outside their rooms for debarkation tomorrow when they know full well there won't be debarkation in Galveston. Don't insult our intelligence.

They actually told you to put your luggage out Sat night to disembark in Galveston:confused:

Why should we not use common sense when defending Carnival?

This was a huge storm. I lived through it, and wasn't on a comfortable ship, so I know that one day it was going to hit Texas, and then a couple of hours it was going to hit NO. then they said "Don't Worry, it looks like it will hit Mexico." How in the heck can the Capt. of the ship tell everyone what was going on?

Since it is all over now, and there is just all of us who need to recover, what you are doing is slamming Carnival, and scaring future cruisers into having one of the best times they will ever have.

It is simply not right.

What some people need to do is feel ashamed they are making so much of this, scaring others, when there are people right here, who have nothing left!! I mean nothing, but you know what, they aren't fussing and whining, they are just glad to be alive, and to have someone care about them.

Let's not forget that there were 3000 people on that ship, and you have one or two that have nothing else better to do but tell things that are not true and make up what they don't know.

Want some reality? Come to my house tonight, and help me take what little I could round up today for a family who is 500 miles from what was their home. The little girl is three. I asked her what I could bring her, and she cried and said her baby doll died in the hurricane. Could I please find her another to love.

Tell this baby your woos

Pray for these families tonight. They could tell you how bad it is.

Archived