Anyone back from Conquest?

Bobug

?

I hope that one of you or all will give us a detailed review. This might be the most important one on CC, because you will be able to tell what you did, but also where you went wrong.

Ok now I believe you are trying to stir the pot:rolleyes:

If anything....2 experienced cruisers on this ship did learn from this. Which is they are probably done cruising with Carnival............

It never ceases to amaze me:cool:

Anyone know how the E-Z Cruise parking turned out, I know the lot is elevated quite a bit above street level.

Doug

On another thread a Cruise Critic member relayed their conversation with Cindy from EZ Cruise. Their lots were flooded. They lost their shuttle buses. However, she said the fence held...so that means the cars are not in the bottom of the Channel. Cindy also lost her home and of course, has lost her business income until Carnival returns.

Ok now I believe you are trying to stir the pot:rolleyes:

If anything....2 experienced cruisers on this ship did learn from this. Which is they are probably done cruising with Carnival............

It never ceases to amaze me:cool:

I was not trying to stir, but to get people to think!!!!

I could say more about what else you said, but I do not want to stir the pot.

I will say that I spent my afternoon trying to help, and this is all you saw?

That could be true.....but don't you think they knew after the hurricane hit on Sat. that there was no way they would be going back to Galveston on Sun or Mon yet told everyone there was still a possibility:rolleyes:

I suspect you are right, but until they had things tied down to NOLA (and not Miami, for example) wouldn't it be prudent for them to say nothing about the final destination?

I know that the people on the ship wanted to know what to plan for, but if the crew had speculated openly, wouldn't that have made a bigger mess and made more people unhappy when things didn't pan out as the speculation had gone?

Face it, Ike didn't make anyone a winner.

I suspect you are right, but until they had things tied down to NOLA (and not Miami, for example) wouldn't it be prudent for them to say nothing about the final destination?

I know that the people on the ship wanted to know what to plan for, but if the crew had speculated openly, wouldn't that have made a bigger mess and made more people unhappy when things didn't pan out as the speculation had gone?

Face it, Ike didn't make anyone a winner.

True......and all the while keeping the next cruisers in limbo (since they were unable to cancel and get a refund)......flying out and waiting for their ship to come in........that next cruise should have been cancelled when they ordered evacuation in Galveston IMO.......

But you are right nobody came out a winner:(

It will be interesting to see if the Conquest actually docks tomorrow because Carnival is HOPING to dock tomorrow, but at least wants to get her in position in the gulf in case they do open.

Apparently Canival has been told they will have priority over the other 100 ships that have been waiting at the entrance to the currently closed ship channel.

"Continued electrical outages prohbit the Port of Houston Authority (PHA) from opening for business operations Thursday, September 18 at the Barbours Cut and Bayport Terminals." http://www.phastatus.com (news releases)

It will be interesting to see if the Conquest actually docks tomorrow because Carnival is HOPING to dock tomorrow, but at least wants to get her in position in the gulf in case they do open.

Apparently Canival has been told they will have priority over the other 100 ships that have been waiting at the entrance to the currently closed ship channel.

"Continued electrical outages prohbit the Port of Houston Authority (PHA) from opening for business operations Thursday, September 18 at the Barbours Cut and Bayport Terminals." www.phastatus.com (news releases)

You left out the Notice to Truckers part. It doesn't say anything about docking operations.

First off I'm glad that some of you are getting back, and I guess that some are still on the ship awaiting arrival in Houston tomorrow. At least you are all safe.

It sounds like, that except for communicating Carnival did a pretty good job. I wasn't there so everything here is speculation.

If Carnival had said we don't know yet but as soon as we know we will give you a 30 minute warning and then have announcements over all of the TVs would that have helped?

Pretty clearly to us on shore we knew that you were not going back to Galveston or Houston last weekend. There was a lot of speculation about where you were going and I really don't think Carnival knew until Sunday because that storm was so darn big, that they had to make sure that it didn't impact NO too.

Other than knowing where you were headed and when you could expect to get back is there any other critical news that you though Carnival had that they did not convey to you?

I also guess it would have been nice if Carnival had opened free web access to airline and rental care web sites and free e-mail once a day too.

The ship channel is open. For those who can't see the sticky at the top of the page:

LATEST NEWS FROM THE PORT OF HOUSTON

Hello Everyone

Many thanks to all of you who wrote in and here is the latest news on Houston from our Senior Vice President Brendan Corrigan who is at the port.

He says

" Port is open and as of 10.00am they are taking all vessels with max draft 30'..we are less.

Conquest scheduled to be tied up tomorrow by noon.

Houston , we don't have a problem!"

I've been following the Conquest posts since Saturday. A cruise is generally such a great experience. I have only been able to manage one about every two years, so they are much anticipated and live long in my memories for quite some time when it's over. I can't imagine having one end so raggedly. The sad fact is that each of you who cruised on the Conquest will remember the last couple of days more than the rest of the cruise.

My heart goes out to those of you who cruised on the hurricane sailing. It's clear that Carnival could have done a better job in a number of areas.

What I find shocking is the posters who are attacking the people who are simply responding to a thread asking them to share their experiences. I guess they'll attack me now for supporting you.

To those who posted about what happened on this ship this week, thank you for sharing your experiences. It helps to educate us all about what to consider when things go wrong on a vacation.

To pounce on someone and criticize them for sailing during hurricane season is like telling a businessperson to avoid flying to a northern city in the winter. I've had to deal with cancelled flights and no available hotel rooms. But at least when I finally worked out a patchwork plan to eventually get me back to Cleveland, my car was still safely parked where I left it and I didn't have to wonder what kind of property damage my home suffered in my absence.

Have some compassion people!

I haven't read through everything, but I feel that the people who were on that ship have tried to be as positive as possible. I think Carnival should have been more up front. DH and I were following the situation. Neither of us believed the ships would get back into Galveston for a long time. Why wouldn't Carnival admit that? And, it sucks to lose anything. Your car is totaled, that is horrible for you for you. That doesn't mean that those people

who lost their cars think it is worse than people who lost their whole lives, but it is difficult for them because that is one more thing they have to deal with. DH and I have been wondering what y'all did about your jobs. Is there any problem on that end?

Welcome home to everyone who was able to get home and safe travels home to all that are still trying to get there.

We are on Carinval in Feb when seas are calm but I am disappionted to hear how Carnival responded. I am sure they have been through this before and I am amazed that they didn't have a plan to take care of their passangers. Surely they will lose future cruisers. This board alone will have its toll.

I will NEVER travel during the fall months from southern US ports = too risky.

Telling them to write a review so they can see where they went wrong:confused:

You are kidding right:confused:

Please let me try one more time to explain this. I said if you could to write a review. We read reviews all the time, to see what is on the ship, what the people did, and to learn when a mistake was made.

I thought that the average person could see what happened, and next time, have a plan in action, when it happened to them.

It was not intended to upset, aggravate, or to cause a problem.

If writing a review and telling us the good and bad is not your thing, then that's fine. Maybe others would like to try to help the next passengers that get on a ship, with a big a'' hurricane in the gulf, and know what to do.

Please let me try one more time to explain this. I said if you could to write a review. We read reviews all the time, to see what is on the ship, what the people did, and to learn when a mistake was made.

I thought that the average person could see what happened, and next time, have a plan in action, when it happened to them.

It was not intended to upset, aggravate, or to cause a problem.

If writing a review and telling us the good and bad is not your thing, then that's fine. Maybe others would like to try to help the next passengers that get on a ship, with a big a'' hurricane in the gulf, and know what to do.

OK...I'll simplify this for you. From MY most recent experience on the Conquest during Hurricane Ike:

If you cruise and nothing goes wrong, you enjoy your cruise and life is good.

If you PLAN to cruise and something DOES go wrong (not on a PERSONAL level but on a MASSIVE level) do NOT expect to get the information you need to help formulate a game plan at all....might as well sit back and keep ordering drinks of the day, because they will keep you in the dark until you are almost out of their face...and YOU will have to deal with any and all issues created by this change directed by the cruise lines without any help at all, in a closed environment and little access to anyone that can give you straight answers.....is that simple enough to understand???

I can no longer trust them, they were NOT honest with us and I do not feel they would be honest with anyone (onboard currently or next group of pax) if the thought for a MOMENT that it MIGHT work out to their financial advantage. Those that will sail from Houston this Sunday (if things go as planned) enjoy your trip...but if things DON'T go well you will be left in the dark and holding the bag without access to means to work your issues. If you flew/drove into Houston to catch the ship and it can not sail for any reason, they will not tell you until the very last moment, after YOU have incurred the travel and cost to be there on time. But if they CAN sail, they expect YOU to get to the ship however you have to because THEY will not cancel the sailing and loose money. That is apparent with the boarding of the Esctasy AFTER the storm was known to be a threat. Those that chose not to go ended up screwed. This is where I have seen in action the difference between money being made and being honest with those choosing to cruise with Carnival are two VERY different issues.

Is that easy enough to understand???? Keep in mind hurricanes are not the only thing that can go wrong...oil spills, fires, propulsion issues have all been factors with cruise ship travel problems.

In essence they've already written a "review". They've already told us step by step, sometimes hour by hour, what transpired from their various veiwpoints. Most of them even mentioned ports, dining, service, staff, etc. I'm not sure what else they could say that might allow you to learn something.

I have no doubt that Carnival's decision making process was being directly controlled by their "Business Prevention Unit", which in laymans terms is their legal council. Undoubtedly passenger safety came first, but decisions by legal staff played into what could or couldn't be said to crew and passengers.

Please do not confuse me with IKE.

Mike

OK...I'll simplify this for you. From MY most recent experience on the Conquest during Hurricane Ike:

If you cruise and nothing goes wrong, you enjoy your cruise and life is good.

If you PLAN to cruise and something DOES go wrong (not on a PERSONAL level but on a MASSIVE level) do NOT expect to get the information you need to help formulate a game plan at all....might as well sit back and keep ordering drinks of the day, because they will keep you in the dark until you are almost out of their face...and YOU will have to deal with any and all issues created by this change directed by the cruise lines without any help at all, in a closed environment and little access to anyone that can give you straight answers.....is that simple enough to understand???

I can no longer trust them, they were NOT honest with us and I do not feel they would be honest with anyone (onboard currently or next group of pax) if the thought for a MOMENT that it MIGHT work out to their financial advantage. Those that will sail from Houston this Sunday (if things go as planned) enjoy your trip...but if things DON'T go well you will be left in the dark and holding the bag without access to means to work your issues. If you flew/drove into Houston to catch the ship and it can not sail for any reason, they will not tell you until the very last moment, after YOU have incurred the travel and cost to be there on time. But if they CAN sail, they expect YOU to get to the ship however you have to because THEY will not cancel the sailing and loose money. That is apparent with the boarding of the Esctasy AFTER the storm was known to be a threat. Those that chose not to go ended up screwed. This is where I have seen in action the difference between money being made and being honest with those choosing to cruise with Carnival are two VERY different issues.

Is that easy enough to understand???? Keep in mind hurricanes are not the only thing that can go wrong...oil spills, fires, propulsion issues have all been factors with cruise ship travel problems.

I don't know how much clearer you can be lol!

Thanks for sharing your story.

You know, I would like to apologize to each of you who came on here today to complain about your cruise.

I thought it was being done to help others who might one day be in the same position. That is why I was asking so many questions.

I didn't realize that it wasn't answers you requested, but just a chance to get it out in the open.

I am so use to threads being resourceful, that I didn't catch the difference.

I also didn't mean to imply that I needed the info for myself. I thought others who came along might benefit, and since you were all upset, I was trying to get everything straight for you.

I hope that all of you get some rest, as I am sure you could use it, and cruise again soon.

Luanne

I learned two things from this whole deal.

1. Carnival evidently doesn't own a TV for the office.

2. At the height of the storm in Texas, a crack pipe was being passed

around a room in Miami.

lol add a #3, they dont have internet access or they would have been able to print off new updates of the hurricane track the day before it hit, as I know the track is updated every 3 hours on most sites.

I asked the guy who books next cruises if he could go online and get rental car phone #'s, but he isnt allowed to go anywhere other than the Carnival site he discovered (he apparantly didnt know until he tried when I asked, but in his defense he said they just started the next cruise program 4 weeks ago). The other girl there got on Carnival email and emailed Carnival to ask for phone numbers lol. We waited a while but they hadnt answered.

Jen did announce that we should go to our cabins and tune to channel 25 to get CNN, as they didnt have any info other than what we could get on tv. I got the idea she must be a sub as she didnt seem to be up to the usual CD standards. She also started out the debarkation meeting saying she was just handed the sheet about going to New Orleans 5 minutes before she got to the meeting. You would think they would tell the CD more than 5 minutes before she had to give the annoucement, but not according to the CD, she was in the dark as much as us.

Archived