Must Do's to Really See and Appreciate Alaska

Breezey

All the posts I have read have been wonderful. But..... what I would like to know is....what would everyone suggest as must do's to get the most out of each port?

What I mean is that with limited hours in each port I prefer to see the once in my lifetime sites rather than spend my time ziplining or salmon fishing. While I think these activities would be fantastic and fun, I want to see the must-do sites of Alaska first and foremost just in case I never get to go back.

Please and thank you :)

What i can suggest to you is once you have decided on a cruiseline then go to the shore excursions that are offered, then decided wht your interests and then come back here to see if anyone has liked or disliked the excursion. At least that is a start. There is also a wealth of info on this forum. A lot of my searching was frankly going back a year ago on these pages and just reading. Most of the time the excursions do not change that much.

Marilyn

You can also get plenty of excellent information from your library and Alaska travel books, Alaska by Cruiseship, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are especially concise. Also visitor guides http://www.traveljuneau.com http://www.skagway.com http://www.sitka.org http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

For me, the best excursion we've ever done on any cruise anywhere was the helicopter to dogsledding on a glacier. We did this through Temsco- it was absolutely amazing, and everything I had hoped for from an Alaskan experience. I'm sure everyone will have their own ideas about what they think are "must dos," but for me- that's #1 on my list. (It's expensive- start saving now)

I agree with you- some excursions, while they may be fun, can be done anywhere- ziplining, for example. I'm sure the more time you spend on these boards the more you'll find you just "have" to do!

Thanks and excellent ideas. Off to the bookstore today. Love the dog sledding idea.

Seems that DH isnt really keen on sitting on a train for 5 hours in Skagway. Trying to explain its part of the entire experience not just getting to a destination, correct?

Thanks and excellent ideas. Off to the bookstore today. Love the dog sledding idea.

Seems that DH isnt really keen on sitting on a train for 5 hours in Skagway. Trying to explain its part of the entire experience not just getting to a destination, correct?

There are several train options, with a round trip summit train about 3+ hours. Then there are several train combos to consider.

According to previous posts the dog sledding experience is the most cancelled excursion due to weather. The day my sisters went on the Pilot's Choice Helicopter tour, the dog sledding tours had been cancelled. It has also been posted that the dog sledding out of Seward with Godwins, is the least cancelled of the dog sledding tours.

The thing about the train is that you will see the beautiful Alaskan Scenery. We went on the 9 hour Chilkoot trip which is a combination train up and mini bus down. We were NEVER bored or never felt the trip was too long. Except for the 45 -60 minutes we were fogged out, it was just a breathtaking experience both up and down. If you are into scenery, you won't be disappointed. However, for those who feel one mountain, lake or forest is the same as any other, than they might get bored. As has already been posted, it is all about individual interests.

A real highlight for us was taking the Adventure Bound Tracy Arm cruise out of Juneau. We were in awe the whole time we were in the Fjord. It ended up being our favorite excursion. It is another all day, 9 hour excursion. If interested in this trip, you need a full day in Juneau. Not many cruise ships can accommodate this tour, so if this is something you are interested in, make note of the times the cruise ship will be in port. NCL has some itineraries that include an add on boat tour to Tracy Arm. If we ever get back to Alaska we will likely try to fit this tour in again. That is how much we enjoyed it.

Happy Planning.

vbmom87 - Actually the Chilkoot trip keeps calling me back and probably will book it. Plus as Canadians it would give us the chance to see the Yukon too. We most definitely want to see the beauty of Alaska.

According to our itinerary on Celebrity, we dont get into Juneau until 10:30 so sadly Adventure Bound Tracy Arm seems out of the question. I did send them an email to ask if they have any options but dont suspect I will get a response. Looks fantastic! So the research contiues for Juneau.

tks all

You don't say where you are going, but the highlights for us were whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau and hiking the Harding Ice Field in Seward (pretty tough hike -so I felt like I accomplished something by getting to the top! So worth it!).

OP, I totally agree with you. I'm trying to figure out which sights are "exclusive" to Alaska, & which I can see anywhere. For me, being able to walk to, on, or under a glacier is a big one. Seeing whales (especially orcas) is another. Watching a tidal glacier calve is another. On the other hand, though I'd like to see bears and go sea kayaking, I can probably do those things in other places.

As for books - I work in a bookstore, so I've read through most of the books we have on Alaska. So far, I've been unimpressed with most of them - they seem to state nothing but positives about most of the excursions & ports, with very few negatives. My favorite book by far has been Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond. It has thorough reviews, interesting local history, & some great pictures. It also has the best cruise-oriented map of Alaska I've seen yet.

You don't say where you are going, but the highlights for us were whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau and hiking the Harding Ice Field in Seward (pretty tough hike -so I felt like I accomplished something by getting to the top! So worth it!).

Good point - Our Alaskan ports are: Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, and Sitka.

OP, I totally agree with you. I'm trying to figure out which sights are "exclusive" to Alaska, & which I can see anywhere. For me, being able to walk to, on, or under a glacier is a big one. Seeing whales (especially orcas) is another. Watching a tidal glacier calve is another. On the other hand, though I'd like to see bears and go sea kayaking, I can probably do those things in other places.

As for books - I work in a bookstore, so I've read through most of the books we have on Alaska. So far, I've been unimpressed with most of them - they seem to state nothing but positives about most of the excursions & ports, with very few negatives. My favorite book by far has been Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond. It has thorough reviews, interesting local history, & some great pictures. It also has the best cruise-oriented map of Alaska I've seen yet.

My sentiments exactly! So have you made any decisions on sights that you are going to see?

Plus thanks for doing your research, you just saved me a few hours of reading through many Alaskan books. If I find any others will share :)

The highlight of our Alaskan cruise last July was the whale watching with Harv and Marv. We had been whale watching in Maui, Hawaii, and we thought it was wonderful, and it was. But it paled in comparison to our outing with Harv and Marv. We saw lots of humpbacks, bubble feeding, and Orcas. I know that there are not guarantees with Mother Nature, but the trip was a wonderful experience. It was so much fun to be on a small boat with only 6 passengers - very personalized service and great views.

We also did the White Pass Railroad tour with Chilkoot Charters, and found it to be an enjoyable day with gorgeous scenery. We took the 7 and a half hour tour - train up, then on to a small bus into the Yukon. Got a chance to see Emerald Lake and also some sled dogs at Carcross. We felt that we got a great tour for the price.

Whatever you do, you will have a wonderful trip to Alaska. Keep reading the boards - I learned so much. I'm actually having a bit of "Cruise Critic" withdrawl now that we are back home and back to real life!

After almost two weeks in Alaska with independent land touring, followed by seven nights on Island Princess, I have to say the highlight for both me and my husband was our glacier trek in Juneau. It involved about 7 miles of hiking over about 7 hours. But to spend 11/2 hours on Mendenhall Glacier with four other people, treking around on crampons, looking into the deep blue crevices, seeing all the amazing things on the glacier upclose, filling our water bottles from real glacier water and seeing the visitor center in the far off distance -- it was a real treat.

My sentiments exactly! So have you made any decisions on sights that you are going to see?

Plus thanks for doing your research, you just saved me a few hours of reading through many Alaskan books. If I find any others will share :)

I hope you found some good books! As for decisions, I haven't even figured out how we're going to see Alaska. I'm torn between taking a cruise and flying/touring by the Alaskan ferry. Taking a cruise would make planning a lot easier; on the other hand, I enjoy planning vacations, & wouldn't mind putting the time in to researching everything myself. On the other hand, the ferry system is rather complicated, and would only be useful for visiting a handful of ports close to one's starting destination. For example, I'm thinking of flying into Juneau, then taking the ferry to Skagway, Hoonah, Haines, and/or Sitka. I haven't looked into Haines or Sitka yet, but the following seem to be "must sees" based on the reports & photos I've seen here on CC, plus the books I've read:

Juneau:

1) Hiking to, on, or under Mendenhall glacier. I've seen some photos of people hiking into ice caves that look absolutely fantastic. The reports people have posted from climbing on the glacier sound like lots of fun.

2) Harv & Marv's boat tour gets a lot of props on this board.

3) Taking a day cruise to Tracy Arm

Skagway: the White Pass train tour up the mountain, then bicycling back down. Skagway also sounds like the best place for a lot of day hikes.

Hoonah / Icy Strait Point: the whale tours to Pt. Adolphus sound like the best way to see humpback whales.

Tidewater glaciers: watching a glacier calve is also a must-see. Hubbard Glacier (near the town of Yakutat) and Glacier Bay (near Gustavus) are quite accessible via cruise ship, but very hard/expensive to reach via plane or ferry.

So, I can't make up my mind - take a cruise and see some tidewater glaciers, or fly to Juneau directly & have more time to do all of the activities above. Anyway, that's my current list of "must sees."

One thing you "must do" is get as far from the docks and jewelry shops as quickly as possible. (Of course if you want to pick up some t-shirts and souveniers, no harm done. We got some good deals at Tongass Trading in Ketchikan and at Alaska Shirt Co. in Skagway).

The highlights of our trip were Harv & Marv and a glacier landing with Coastal Helicopters. Seeing the vast, unbroken wilderness from the air was almost as spectacular as the glacier itself. If you do both, be sure to coordinate the tours as a double-header. The airport and marina are in the same area, and you will waste 30 minutes each way if you return to the cruise docks between tours.

In all the ports we took walking tours...it was a good way to get a sense of everyday life in each port.

D.P. Roberts - Well I got the book you suggested, thanks looks great and we love the Eyewitness series so got one on Alaska.

Kenish/Jaberwock - I just sent an email to Harv and Marv but wonder if we are already too late for booking in May? Will send an email to Chilkoot too, wonder about our timing on that one too re booking up.

Laurachr - Love the hiking ideas and will figure that one out too. Think 7 hours may be much for our out of shape bodies but am sure we can do a shorter version. Your glacier experience sounds incredible.

Found lost of useful hints on Trip Advisor website too (am I allowed to say that here?)

If your husband is not to keen on a long train ride, I would recommend doing the White Pass train one direction and then take the bus the other. This way you will have two different viewpoints/experiences. I have heard that this is the one excursion not to be missed in Skagway.

I tried to do things people may associate with Alaska when they think of Alaska. I went to the Lumbar Jack Show in Ketchikan. I watched the Salmon Run in Juneau. I went to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau as well as took a steamboat ride and took the tram to the top of Mt Roberts (A very busy day, but I did not want to miss a thing). In Icy Straits, I went whale watching. In Skagway, I went to the mushers camp and had a blast. I loved playing with the seven week old puppies afterward. I took the train from Seward to Anchorage. There was so much to see on that train ride, lots of wildlife and the scenery was unbelievable.

Archived