Complimentary HAL beach tote bag?

AKBeagleMom

I have found that the tote bag (white one) is quite ample for an excursion to the beach. It holds a HAL towel, a bathing suit, and sun block. What else is needed?

Also, I am grateful that HAL furnishes the bag without another charge! :)

You likely have not been to countries such as Columbia, Venezuela, Brazil, Haiti, Panama, India etc.. These countries are well known for the crimes against tourist and by carrying a Holland America bag is telling the bad guys that I am here today gone in a couple of hours and you are welcome to take my camera etc. During the briefings aboard the ship the host always tell you what part of town or ares to sray away from but there is always passengers that get "lost" and wonder into trouble.

Carrying a back ack or some other tote bag won't make much of a difference; the tourists usually stick out. We can even spot them in New York. :D

We now have four of the canvas ones - two from the first cruise (we were in a full suite, so don't know if we would have gotten them on the first cruise otherwise) and two from the second (and last, so far - but we do have that onboard deposit down for the next!).

I like the bags. They are a good size for groceries, etc., and they roll up and fit in the corner of your suitcase for an extra bag while traveling. I haven't tried washing them. They are made of a loose-woven cotton fabric, which is the sort of cloth that usually will shrink if washed in hot water and dried on high heat, but I think they'd do fine if washed in cold water and line dried. I love the suggestion of adding velcro to close the top - thanks, sail!

I do have one warning to share, though. The handles are not sewn on very securely. One end of one handle became detached on one of mine while I was using it to carry a large watermelon home from the farmers' market. (Both watermelon and bag survived, I'm happy to report.) After that, I examined the rest, and they're all a little bit tenuously attached. Not a big deal - easily fixed with a needle and some heavy-duty thread - but worth knowing about. If you plan to use them to carry heavy items, I suggest reinforcing the stitching on the handles first.

I agree with the warning about carrying them in locations where people prey on tourists. But in tourist-friendly locations, or your own home town, I think it's fun to carry them - I've enjoyed the knowing smiles I've gotten from people who've seen me with them on public transit or in the grocery store.

In some ports it is suggested that you do not bring the Holland America tote bag ashore because you are a perfect target for some locals that might think that you are just a dumb tourist.

As if the 2" day-glo orange sticker with a black cruise ship and the number 7 on it isn't enough to let the locals know you're a tourist! :D

I use our tote bags on grocery trips, to bring wine to casual dinners with friends, and sometimes to bring my lunch to work. They wash like a dream.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I love them too. It just feels good to see them waiting on the bed for us.:D

I just hate when they smell like diesel (Amsterdam's)! Then again, a wash at home fixed that.

We have 5 now: 2 from the Amsterdam, 2 from the Zuiderdam and one from the Eurodam Mariner's brunch. (My partner didn't want to take two swag bags).

Archived