Sea Sickness - Key West and Cozumel

sanrionjb

My friend really wants to go on a cruise, however she is afraid of getting sea sick. I think she'll be fine, as she is more adventurous than me and I've been on 6 cruises.

We're looking at a 4 day cruise - Miami, Key West, Cozumel (Carnival Imagination) or Tampa, Key West Cozumel (Royal Caribbean Granduer of the Seas) In December or January. What your findings with the seas in this area/time of year? I once hit rocky water coming back from Cozumel, but it was very windy that day. I heard the water is smoothest by the Bahamas, but we've both already been there.

Each cruise is differently so no one can predict with certainty what the oceans will be like.

I think she should bring something just in case the seas bother her. We use Bonine which is sold over the counter. Some people find that ginger helps them.

Also, another key is cabin location. Try to find a cabin towards the middle of the deck and on a lower deck.

Keith

My friend really wants to go on a cruise, however she is afraid of getting sea sick. I think she'll be fine, as she is more adventurous than me and I've been on 6 cruises.

We're looking at a 4 day cruise - Miami, Key West, Cozumel (Carnival Imagination) or Tampa, Key West Cozumel (Royal Caribbean Granduer of the Seas) In December or January. What your findings with the seas in this area/time of year? I once hit rocky water coming back from Cozumel, but it was very windy that day. I heard the water is smoothest by the Bahamas, but we've both already been there.

Hey there!

If your friend is prone to motion sickness, make sure you book a cabin in the centre of the ship, if thats not available try for a cabin towards the back.

Gravol or Dramimine helps, there is also a little patch you can get to go behind your ear, and it lasts 3 days.....otherwise if your into the natural thing.....Ginger or......GREEN APPLES!

Yes, Green apples. they have certain properties in them that help the mind to stabilize and help with balance.

Have a great cruise! I am doing a similar on Oct 13 visiting Key West, Cozumel and belize....4 day on the RCI Enchantment.

Good Luck and BON VOYAGE!:D

sanrionjb: :)

I'm a first-time cruiser leaving Philadelphia next month aboard NCL's Majesty and heading for New England and Canada.

This is what I'm bringing for possible seasickness:

1. Am wearing the bracelets which you can purchase over the counter from any type of drug store.

2. Bringing Bonine, ginger root capsules and aloe vera gel capsules. I know the aloe vera is absolutely wonderful for a queasy stomach. Great for heartburn as well.

3. I checked with my doctor regarding the patch worn behind the ear. He told me if you have any type of inner ear problem (i.e., excess fluid in the middle ear) or balance problem not to wear them.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

AnnaLisaOne, you'll have to tell me how you like cruising out of Philly. Since I live here, I'd love to sail from here sometime.

Aquahound, thanks for the heads up. Do you know if Carnival is doing the same thing? If we do the RC cruise, we'd go Dec 4. If we do the Carnival one, we'd leave Dec 8. Royal Caribbean claims it's still scheduled to stop in Key West for that Dec 4 cruise but not some of the Jan ones.

I've always taken non drowsy dramamine (sp). It helped when we hit a little tropical storm on my first cruise and the ship was rockin a bit.

Trust me, I get moation sickeness riding in a car for 45+ minuets....its saved me a lots of unexpected "stops". lol.

Aquahound, thanks for the heads up. Do you know if Carnival is doing the same thing? If we do the RC cruise, we'd go Dec 4. If we do the Carnival one, we'd leave Dec 8. Royal Caribbean claims it's still scheduled to stop in Key West for that Dec 4 cruise but not some of the Jan ones.

I believe the Dec 4 Grandeur sailing still goes to Key West. You should be OK if you choose that route. I've heard no news of Carnival dropping the port, so you should be fine there also.

Our 1st cruise was a 4 nighter to KW--VERY rocky! I mean, it was hard to use the stairs, as the ship would sink right out from under you as you were trying to go up or down!

Didn't bother us (motion sickness-wise), but it was a rough night! The sea can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants! Just because it's calm today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow! Weather fronts, wind, storms elsewhere....all play a part!

There are several meds that can prevent motion sickness. If you are mildly sensitive to motion, the OTC drugs in the supermarket may be fine. But if you are very sensitive and fearful of feeling miserable, you may want one of the stronger prescription medicines that are available in pharmacies - either scopolamine tablets or scopolamine patch. You'll have to get a prescription from a doctor. You may want to read the info on this subject at www.motionsickness.net so that you can determine what is best for you.

sanrionjb: :)

I've been told Philadelphia's cruise terminal is very small. Since this is my first cruise I'll have nothing to compare it to. Maybe it's good that it is that small....won't overwhelm me. Guess that's why I'm glad I'm sailing on the Majesty. She may be small but she's been around the block many times!

Archived