The Right Tender

zydecocruiser

Don't know about all the cruise lines, but Carnival gives tender priority to the passengers that purchase shore excursions through Carnival. General tendering begins a couple of hours or so later.

They do make it possible for those without Carnival shore excursions to tender before general tendering begins, but you need to get an early start.

Usually the Carnival tours will meet in the front of the ship and the smart people get to meet in the back (actually Conquest doesn't seem to know the front from the back). There they will be divided into groups with assigned numbers. First come, first off.

Of course, you can ignore the "rules" and try to leave with either group - not sure if they will have ticket police or not. Your mileage may vary.

This is sort of the party line from a Carnival Capers:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/114570719/114571760LJyWxG

When in Belize last September, I didn't have a tender ticket and nobody checked, but...

On her last cruise, my sister in law and my brother weren't doing Carnival shore excursions in Belize. They had their own private excursion planned with a good friend they've known for years. Instead of lining up with all of the people, she said they just went out to the tender and got right on, no problem.:D

Sort of what I did there and other places. Pretty much, if you act like you belong, nobody is going to question. I guess the main thing is to have a plan and follow through on it - don't ask if it is OK if you merge, think Nike - Just do it!

A family of 15 trying to merge might be questioned by those that waited, but a few at a time should be no problem.

My real intention was to try to give a heads up (I HATE that management BS misused and abused term), on the game.

A FREAKING COUPLE OF HOW MANY HOURS?????????????

sorry, a little carried away there. But how in the H- am I supposed to get my crippled DH (well hopefully not by Feb, he just had his knee replaced) who always finds his way to the end of the line cause he's slow, to just walk to the front as if we belonged there? Can't see it happening, but man I don't want to waste that much time waiting for tenders. My excursion will be feeding the rays by then.

Su

Don't freak. Don't worry. Be happy!

Are you going to book with Carnival tours or are you going to arrange your own? No real need to answer here.

If on a Carnival cruise much less a Carnival tour or not, hobbled or not, most of the cattle will be walking down some stairs to the tender. If you are on a Carnival tour, they will not leave you. If you fall behind for any reason, have them radio ahead that you are on your way. Take the elevator to the deck where the tender loading is and go from there. Even if there are ticket police (I really doubt there will be), damn, where did those tender tickets go? I swear we had them. Must have fallen out of my pocket on the way to the elevator, in the elevator, etc.

I guess my real, real point, was not to mention to cruise ship staff that you booked with someone else and want to get off the ship, is that ok with them?

You don't have to run for the tenders, but as you make your way to them, I would not ask if is ok or not to break in line.

A little sorry I brought this up, and it really isn't that big of a deal to get off the ship but think people need to be aware.

I guess I can compare this to Carnival's liquor policy - they say you are not supposed to bring you own liquor on board, but I think most people who drink bring some in their checked luggage. If you were to ask if it was ok, they would say no, but if you do it, there is really nothing they can do about it.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters further and ask again if I didn't address your concerns.

In theory, I will be one of those tendering to Grand Cayman Nov 11 and will update this message as appropriate.

What has happened to the days of just being courteous??? If a person with a handicap wanted in front of me (I don't care how long I had been waiting) I would gladly let them. And it would be out of respect not sympathy.auskosten.gif

We went to GC on the Conquest and booked an excursion with a private company. We had no problem getting off in time. Those on the ships excursions went first (but only those on the early excursions) and I was on the first group that went with those not on a ships excursion. We were off the ship very quickly and not late. We had to meet our private excursion at 8:30 A.M. I did have to get to the lounge early to get our number, but it wasn't a problem. Don't forget, that not all the ships excursions leave early.

What has happened to the days of just being courteous??? If a person with a handicap wanted in front of me (I don't care how long I had been waiting) I would gladly let them. And it would be out of respect not sympathy.auskosten.gif

Totally agree. And your question applies to so much more that just the current topic.

We went to GC on the Conquest and booked an excursion with a private company. We had no problem getting off in time. Those on the ships excursions went first (but only those on the early excursions) and I was on the first group that went with those not on a ships excursion. We were off the ship very quickly and not late. We had to meet our private excursion at 8:30 A.M. I did have to get to the lounge early to get our number, but it wasn't a problem. Don't forget, that not all the ships excursions leave early.

I was on the Conquest about a year and didn't recall any problems, just trying to raise awareness. I think it is yet another scare tactic, but ya never know.

Now I don't think BobbieSu is on a Carnival cruise, so much of what I was talknig about may not be applicable.

Nope, we are going on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas in Jan/Feb for our first cruise. I am hoping to book with either Captain Marvin or Captain Bryan or maybe Nativeway, haven't decided yet. But I didn't think it took "hours" to tender in. That will influence which of them I can use I think.

From what I gather RCCL's tendering process is much the same as Carnival's. So you are saying regardless of ticket time (that's if I even get one), I should just go down when they call for first tender and get in line? You are saying they will not push the issue, kind of a don't tell, don't ask policy? You expect this from the man who volunteered! to the Canadian port of entry officer that we had contraband fireworks in the trunk of our car?

I'm not asking for preferential treatment due to DH's current mobility (or lack thereof). I just know he will not win any speed races no matter how brief. If he were truly and permanantly disabled I would hope that company policy allowed for him (and all in similar circumstances) to board first.

Su

Thought I replied to this before PC froze (or was it CC?)

Anywho, my last visit to Grand Cayman was about a year ago, but I am supposed to land in Grand Cayman Nov 11th and will try to remember to record my experience and tender times.

Your ship is supposed to arrive the next day - it appears the only ship in town! Anyway, I recommend making contact with the roll call for (i think it was) the Nov 7 sailing and they should be able to let you know what their experience was.

Deerinh20,

Did you get on an early tender? or was it a later one?

zydecocruiser

Hadn't thought about trying to contact an earlier roll call, good idea! I'll ask.

Oh, and congratulations on being able to land in GC. Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks

Su

BobbiSu,

it was like the first or second tender off the ship that morning, we were confused with the GC time and ship time???:rolleyes:

But for all of our friends that came later, they had no problems either.

Come to think of it, we had an easy time with the tenders in both GC and Labadee. I guess it was a good week:p

Hope Princess is just as easy.

I've never had trouble with waiting for tenders, because I have never had to be "on the first tender", as many think they need to (I guess someone has to be on the first tender). We've always just walked right on, and not after a couple of hours either, much earlier than that. We just wait for the initial rush of people and then we're on our way. Waiting to get back to the ship is another story, as everyone seems to get there during the last 1/2 hour.

Tendering is often a wait and see situation. We too will be back in GC on 11/11. Zydeco, what ship are you on? Since GC is just opening back up to tourists, it will be a wait and see to find out how fast they can move people into and out of town via tenders. All ships we have been on give 1st. preference to Ship tour ticketed passengers. When we had a group 25+ on a private tour, we just met in the lounge 15 minutes before the earliest tour and asked for a tender ticket and how early we might be able to get to shore. Ships staff are usually pretty nice and will try to accommodate everyone. We too have a private tour with Nativeway and have been urged to get off by 9:15 for a 10 a.m. departure.

Bon Voyage

As someone who travels with a cane (and not a little one, but an old "grannyish" quad cane), I can tell you that the cruise ships have always gone out of their way to help me, put me on the first available tender, usually one of the first aboard, etc. They are wonderful, usually going the extra mile. I have had multiple surgeries on my legs due to a car accident and don't need the cane all the time, just over uneven ground, up/down stairs, etc. The cruise staff are always looking out for me, helping me every step of the way!

Archived