Internet Question

Bookmarker

I am going on a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess for my graduation. I don't want to purchase an internet package because my job will expect me to work while I am gone and I am not interested in doing that on my vacation. :p

Will there be a small internet package available for purchase the last day to allow me to check in for my flight home?

My boss has been on a cruise before and stated that I could just as easily work from the ship as I can in the office with the internet and knows that if I buy a package then I will work because I will feel guilty for being gone. I just want to enjoy the cruise with my mom to celebrate my graduation.

My boss has been on a cruise before and stated that I could just as easily work from the ship as I can in the office with the internet and knows that if I buy a package then I will work because I will feel guilty for being gone. I just want to enjoy the cruise with my mom to celebrate my graduation.

If it's brought up by your boss again, remind him how slow the internet is onboard most ships. :(

I don't want to purchase an internet package because my job will expect me to work while I am gone and I am not interested in doing that on my vacation?

My boss has been on a cruise before and stated that I could just as easily work from the ship as I can in the office with the internet and knows that if I buy a package then I will work because I will feel guilty for being gone.

I just want to enjoy the cruise with my mom to celebrate my graduation.

I think it's time for you to look for another job...:rolleyes:

If you can't and your boss is persistent,

tell him - sure, when I find time....;)..:D

You know how the Internet service on board is-

it's slower then molasses. ;)

If your employer is expecting you to check email, etc. while on vacation (and many employers do that today, fortunately, not mine), then

* Time doing work while "on vacation" should be counted as regular work hours, and not vacation time, and

* The company should pay your Internet bill!

* Let the company know the 1-900 ($10/minute) phone number (that they pay) if they need to get hold of you.

My vacation rules

* While I take my Blackberry along, I turn off the forwarding of email to it (your IT group or phone provider may need to do this), and just keep it (turned off) as an emergency cell phone. Then you are not tempted to check it. Use the reason of "excessive roaming charges" that would be encountered.

* Set an Out-Of-Office with a repeating Outlook Rule to remind any senders that you are away (only works with some corporate email systems such as Outlook and MS Exchange). By default Outlook and Exchange only tell senders that are gone once.

* Don't check work email (but I do check my personal one from time to time).

* When you get back, drag all emails you received during your vacation to a folder and look at it later. Someone will phone you, visit or email you again if anything truly is urgent.

If your employer is expecting you to check email, etc. while on vacation (and many employers do that today, fortunately, not mine), then

* Time doing work while "on vacation" should be counted as regular work hours, and not vacation time, and

* The company should pay your Internet bill!

* Let the company know the 1-900 ($10/minute) phone number (that they pay) if they need to get hold of you.

My vacation rules

* While I take my Blackberry along, I turn off the forwarding of email to it (your IT group or phone provider may need to do this), and just keep it (turned off) as an emergency cell phone. Then you are not tempted to check it. Use the reason of "excessive roaming charges" that would be encountered.

* Set an Out-Of-Office with a repeating Outlook Rule to remind any senders that you are away (only works with some corporate email systems such as Outlook and MS Exchange). By default Outlook and Exchange only tell senders that are gone once.

* Don't check work email (but I do check my personal one from time to time).

* When you get back, drag all emails you received during your vacation to a folder and look at it later. Someone will phone you, visit or email you again if anything truly is urgent.

I can't imagine working for a boss or company that would seriously expect me to be "tuned in" during my vacation! I am horrified!

Cheryl

On our last cruise there was quite a bit of time that the internet was not available at all. You should tell the boss that you wouldn't want to get in the middle of something important and then have the internet go down for a couple of days. That would make you look irresponsible and you wouldn't want that! So your best bet is to avoid the internet and work completely! :D Enjoy that VACATION!

Archived