Travel advisory for Mexico

The advice given therein is very generic, but still good advice (even for the major cities of the US). LA kills about 12-15 a week, but mostly gang to gang violence and drug-related matters.

Street violence in most Mexican cities is rare and dealt with very strongly (especially when the victim is a tourist). Most cruise ports are very secure provided you stay in the "touristy" areas and be aware of your surroundings always.

I can assure you I'm much safer in downtown Mazatlan or Los Cabos at midnite than many parts of LA, Chicago, or Detroit.

The advice given therein is very generic, but still good advice (even for the major cities of the US). LA kills about 12-15 a week, but mostly gang to gang violence and drug-related matters.

Street violence in most Mexican cities is rare and dealt with very strongly (especially when the victim is a tourist). Most cruise ports are very secure provided you stay in the "touristy" areas and be aware of your surroundings always.

I can assure you I'm much safer in downtown Mazatlan or Los Cabos at midnite than many parts of LA, Chicago, or Detroit.

I agree, I felt safe there it was peaceful. One of our tour guide in Cozumel said that most of the crime was in Mexico City.

I agree, I felt safe there it was peaceful. One of our tour guide in Cozumel said that most of the crime was in Mexico City.

Just don't rent a car there! There are some horrific stories of nightmare situations that cruisers have encountered when renting cars in Mexico. Just remember, being involved (not even necessarily at fault) in a car accident in Mexico is considered a crime.

LeeAnn is absolutley right. I had read stories of cruisers that were held up at the police station and almost missed the ship. The fine was heafty as well.

This is a good reminder to all of us. Just because a beautiful cruise ship takes you to these beautiful places does not mean they are safe. Keep your wits about you, and your eyes open. Be careful no matter where you are.

Archived