QE2 farewell from New York as seen from Battery Park

AMScruiser

Here is a link to the movie I took at Battery Park, 16th October. The image is a bit shaky but with the background music of the pipers it gives a good impression of the last sailing out of New York of QE2.

I was fortunate enough to be onboard while sailing IN to Manhattan only 12 hours earlier.

BAS.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=dihPD6COYyE

Here is a link to the movie I took at Battery Park, 16th October. The image is a bit shaky but with the background music of the pipers it gives a good impression of the last sailing out of New York of QE2.

I was fortunate enough to be onboard while sailing IN to Manhattan only 12 hours earlier.

BAS.

Thanks Bas, greetings from Queen Mary 2!

We are on the last day and in a couple of hours the QE2 and QM2 sail closer and QM2 will than take the lead towards Southampton.

It's been a very nice sailing. QM2 is very very different as QE2. Luckily it was a bit rough for the last two days. But as we see QE2 happily pitching along we on QM2 hardly notice any movement at all.

Tomorrow back on land again :-((

Reint

BAS.

BAS,

Just wonderful!!! I have to admit I got chills when her horn blew--very,very emotional!!

Thanks,

Gail

Thanks Bas. As some know, Bas and I were on the same crossing to New York and he and his friend were actually at the table behind ours in the dining room. Talk about a small world.

Anyway, great video. One question - Where was the bagpiper? We were likely at the other end of the park but were there to see both ships leave New York. By a strange coincidence we ran into two of our tablemates and thus watched the sailaway with them.

Again, thanks for the video.

David

Thanks Bas. As some know, Bas and I were on the same crossing to New York and he and his friend were actually at the table behind ours in the dining room. Talk about a small world.

Anyway, great video. One question - Where was the bagpiper? We were likely at the other end of the park but were there to see both ships leave New York. By a strange coincidence we ran into two of our tablemates and thus watched the sailaway with them.

Again, thanks for the video.

David

David,

We were standing at the very tip of Battery Park, next to where the ferries for the Statue of Liberty depart. There was a whole bunch of passengers from the ship and CruiseCritics - a first reunion of sorts. The bagpipers were standing behind us on the steps of the Navy Memorial (?). First there was one and everytime we turned around another one had joined. In the end there was a band of about 8, with pipes and drums, from the NYFD.

Talk about a small world: we run into passengers in the streets of NY, in the elevator of our hotel, in the theatre and in the plane back home...

Hope you and Richard are well,

BAS.

hope this works, attaching a pic.

What a fantastic video, it brought back tears my eyes after having witnessed the whole spectacle from "the other side"

Right now I am at Heathrow waiting for my flight back to Oslo. Disembarkation from Queen Mary 2went smooth and painless this morning. QM2 is a very different world indeed. The ship is huge and decor is pretty impressing. The amount of deck space is stunning. I have to say service and food is even better on the QM2. Having breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Britannia Restaurant was an experience every time. It's so well organized and from waiters to Maitre 'D everybody was so nice to us. Cabin was very comfortable and nice. (fantastic cabin steward) QM2 is such a stable ship. We had near gale force 7-8 a couple of days and the ship hardly moved.

However after the magical social world of QE2, Queen Mary 2 was lacking atmosphere. The "Nome de Plume & Juliacat elegance" was absent, so was the shipboard social magic.

The ship was filled with over 70 percent Brits, most of them not terribly sofisticated. So for the time being, I have seen enough tarty glittery dresses combined with tattoos and pints of lager at the dinner table. I found the atmosphere rather cold and aloof compared to the festive warm friendly atmosphere on QE2 Westbound.

Yesterday afternoon both ships came closer again and it was the same fantastic cheerlng and steam signal exchanges. I believe the ships were even closer than on the way to New York.

My final look of the QE2 was from the very nice Canyon Ranch Spa Lounge. It was a lovely evening last night. During sunset QE2, who was sailing behind us suddenly steered away and sailed on while the sun set with golden line clouds set behind her.....how symbolic!!

Reint

What a fantastic video, it brought back tears my eyes after having witnessed the whole spectacle from "the other side"

Right now I am at Heathrow waiting for my flight back to Oslo. Disembarkation from Queen Mary 2went smooth and painless this morning. QM2 is a very different world indeed. The ship is huge and decor is pretty impressing. The amount of deck space is stunning. I have to say service and food is even better on the QM2. Having breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Britannia Restaurant was an experience every time. It's so well organized and from waiters to Maitre 'D everybody was so nice to us. Cabin was very comfortable and nice. (fantastic cabin steward) QM2 is such a stable ship. We had near gale force 7-8 a couple of days and the ship hardly moved.

However after the magical social world of QE2, Queen Mary 2 was lacking atmosphere. The "Nome de Plume & Juliacat elegance" was absent, so was the shipboard social magic.

The ship was filled with over 70 percent Brits, most of them not terribly sofisticated. So for the time being, I have seen enough tarty glittery dresses combined with tattoos and pints of lager at the dinner table. I found the atmosphere rather cold and aloof compared to the festive warm friendly atmosphere on QE2 Westbound.

Yesterday afternoon both ships came closer again and it was the same fantastic cheerlng and steam signal exchanges. I believe the ships were even closer than on the way to New York.

My final look of the QE2 was from the very nice Canyon Ranch Spa Lounge. It was a lovely evening last night. During sunset QE2, who was sailing behind us suddenly steered away and sailed on while the sun set with golden line clouds set behind her.....how symbolic!!

Reint

Pleased you had a good time, Sad that you found some of the Brits "Tarty" how dare they pay for a holiday and show you up, I will look forward to seeing how well norwegians behave very soon.

the ship and the crossing were both wonderful

Reint

What exactly is a tarty, glittery dress?

Pleased you had a good time, Sad that you found some of the Brits "Tarty" how dare they pay for a holiday and show you up, I will look forward to seeing how well norwegians behave very soon.

the ship and the crossing were both wonderful

Hello Rob,

Haven't talked to you for a while. I like your new picture. I haven't seen it before. It is good to be back!

Gail:)

Hello Rob,

Haven't talked to you for a while. I like your new picture. I haven't seen it before. It is good to be back!

Gail:)

Hi, always nice to chat LOL.

Did you have a tarty dress then, I wish now Id worn my pearly king outfit on formal night and out did them all, but then id need new spoons too, next time.

rob

Hi, always nice to chat LOL.

Did you have a tarty dress then, I wish now Id worn my pearly king outfit on formal night and out did them all, but then id need new spoons too, next time.

rob

And I'll wear my tarty dress and we can dance at the tea party. And we will be king and queen of the tea party.:D

Right now I am at Heathrow waiting for my flight back to Oslo.

Reint

Well that's the Brits for you Reint, it's all chip butties and Watneys bleedin' Red Barrel mate. Anyone with a British passport should automatically be refused passage on any Cunard ship. Can't have our Scandanavian friends upset by their uncouthness.

And I thought snobbery was mainly confined to the British, one learns a little something every day.

Gari

But wait, Gari, I've been known to sneer on occasion...and I'm from the USA!!!!:eek:

Truth be told, even the poorest of the poor in this country want to have someone upon whom to look down. Pecking order psychology, I guess. :rolleyes:

But for tarty dresses, try Crystal Cruise Lines. Some "fashin' designer" in Texas must have been let loose with a "Bedazler" and the passenger list. Oh, my!:p

Archived