Handicap Rooms

M&Mtime

Ok, My fiance and I are booked on the 12-6 sailing on the Liberty. We currently have a category 8A booked. She recently broke her ankle and had surgery on it. She is no longer in cast but can not take a shower standing up. We were wondering if/how we can go about getting a handicap room and does every category have one.

Thank you

Not every category has a handicapped cabin. Carnival has modified handicapped cabins and full HC cabins. The modified cabins may not have every feature, the ones I knew of had the shower seat for instance but not enough space in the cabins to turn a wheelchair around.

Full HC cabins, you will probably need a note from the doctor and they may not always be available. For instance on the ship I looked at they didnt have any 1A, 4A or 4B, but they had 4Cs that were HC, so balconys could be the same and you might have to move up a couple of categories.

Ok, My fiance and I are booked on the 12-6 sailing on the Liberty. We currently have a category 8A booked. She recently broke her ankle and had surgery on it. She is no longer in cast but can not take a shower standing up. We were wondering if/how we can go about getting a handicap room and does every category have one.

Thank you

At this late date I doubt a Handicapped cabin would be available. You usually need to book them a year in advance because there are so few. The Liberty only has 27 handicapped cabins. But check with Carnival you never know.

Is your fiance in a wheelchair? Handicapped cabins are ideally designed for people in wheelchairs. If your fiance is able to walk she really wont need a handicapped cabin. You can request a shower chair for your shower in your regular 8A cabin. Your room steward will get one for you. Not a problem.

Let us know what you decide and have a wonderful cruise.

contact your TA or Carnival Special needs department and let them know you need a Shower chair.....there is a small amount of paperwork that needs to be filled out and faxed to Carnival.....

overall i think you will find a HC Cabin is not needed.....you will also lose the couch on a HC room vs. the regular room

prevoius posters are correct these rooms are booked well in advance because they are hard to get my DW has a scooter she uses and myslef would prefer a reg room because so far what we have found is the same size room but without table and chair or a couch

also previous poster is correct HC rooms have certain catagorys so you can not book a Guarentee room and get one you have to pay the upgrade premium for it

Thank you for everyone's input.

She is not in a wheelchair. She has a walking boot. So we are not worried about space and trying to turn around a wheelchair. What we are concerned about is the shower chair and also the removable shower head that you can hold in your hand. And for the life of me I can not remember if every shower on carnival has one of those. I guess when it really does not matter you don't pay attention to those things. But now it is important and I can not remember. Does anyone here remember?

Thanks

We were in E52 & E56 on Elation (PVP put us there, we did not intentionally take 2 HC cabins). The shower chairs were attached to the shower wall, if I remember correctly.

But my memory is not always terribly reliable.

Just call you TA or PVP and find out what they can do to help you out.

The shower head doesnt remove, but you can help her. My sister is handicapped and I help her stand and get her to hang on and I have to put the shampoo and conditioner in her hair and turn the water on and off. We manage without the shower chair. Good to know I could ask for one though and get it.

Bring a big bag and something to hold it around her leg and you can keep her leg dry. You can manage without changing cabins. I dont think personally Id pay the extra to get into a HC cabin because of a few showers.

Worse comes to worse you can her bend over the bathroom sink and use a ice bucket to pour water over her head and sponge off if you are afraid you cant manage in a regular shower.

The shower head doesnt remove, but you can help her. My sister is handicapped and I help her stand and get her to hang on and I have to put the shampoo and conditioner in her hair and turn the water on and off. We manage without the shower chair. Good to know I could ask for one though and get it.

Was this on Liberty? Every shower head I have seen on Liberty was removable.

Archived