The latest "bad" ad by O

caribbeansun

Given the debate about misleading advertising I think O hit a low point yesterday. It caught my attention because it was on a cruise I'm booked on - anticipating some economic relief I actually read this one.

I received an email offer stating in big bold letters (emphasis added):

FREE Airfare & up to 50% off Cruise Fares from $1,999 per guest*

*Lead-in fare of $1,999 per guest only applies to 02/25/09 sailing aboard Regatta and is subject to availability. Offer expires December 31, 2008. Fares listed are cruise only in U.S. dollars, per person, based on double occupancy and include Non-Commissionable Fares. Fares do not include Government Fees and Taxes, and Cruise Ship Fuel Surcharge.

Perhaps I'm just slow but how exactly does one get free air on a cruise only fare?:confused:

I especially liked the "cruise for under $200 a day. I don't think so.:rolleyes:

Deb

If the base price is $1999. & it is a 12 day cruise ...so it would be under $200. p/d:D

Creative advertising

Lyn,

Yeah but when you add the other taxes, charges etc. It won't be. I was thinking it was a 10 day like mine but you are right it's like the one we did this year.

They usually just base it on the base prices.

It is creative Marketing ...they all do it

Lyn

What I want to know is when they all drop their fuel surcharges!!!

All the Carnival products (Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Costa, Yachts of Seabourn, Cunard) will drop the fuel surcharge on all 2010 sailings and will offer shipboard credits for fuel surcharges that have been paid for 2008 and 2009 sailings (based on a rather complex formula related to the NYMEX index).

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Azamara) has dropped fuel surcharges for all 2010 sailings (no word on reimbursing or crediting for 2008/2009 sailings).

NCL announced yesterday (10/30) that they, too, are dropping fuel surcharges on all bookings made after 11/10 for 2010 sailings. They also have a "formula" for possibly reimbursing charges for 2008/2009 sailings.

No word on Oceania, MSC, Regent, Silversea and others. Since Regent and Oceania are both under Apollo's umbrella, I would assume that if/when they decide to drop the fuel charges, they will do so simultaneously.

Can you elaborate?

Not sure what they do not do?

Well, I was responding to you who said "they all do it this way", i.e., adding taxes and other charges on top of the "free" air. I presume you meant "all cruise lines".

Regent does "inclusive air" on much of its European itineraries, and sometimes other places as well. This includes everything related to the airfare, except for any fuel surcharges. And deviation charges, if any, of course.

So when you get a quote for airfare on R, you can "take it to the bank".

Well, I was responding to you who said "they all do it this way", i.e., adding taxes and other charges on top of the "free" air. I presume you meant "all cruise lines".

Regent does "inclusive air" on much of its European itineraries, and sometimes other places as well. This includes everything related to the airfare, except for any fuel surcharges. And deviation charges, if any, of course.

So when you get a quote for airfare on R, you can "take it to the bank".

Thanks

Was not sure what/who you were replying to.

Lyn

Archived