Breakfast in Dining Room on Explorer

bernnj

I guess the table situation depends on what time you go to breakfast! We didn't seem to have much of a problem on our last cruise on the Explorer. I thought they bused the tables pretty quickly and they also went around with a cart with coffee, water and juice which saved time since we didn't have to get back up to get it. We usually find a table first - if we don't do that, we end up looking for each other or we find we're both sitting at different tables waiting for the other one to find us..................LOL:D :D

For lunch, don't overlook the WONDERFUL Promenade Cafe. I'm drooling just thinking about those sandwiches and pastries.

I LOVED our recent cruise on the Serenade. Beautiful ship. But I kept wishing there was a Promenade Cafe there. Can't have everything, I guess.

I prefer the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch, although occasionally we've used the dining room for breakfast. I like being able to pick as much of whatever I want in the WJ.

They did away with the pasta station for lunch in the dining room on Explorer. You can still order the pasta, but there is now a salad bar in its place.

For lunch, don't overlook the WONDERFUL Promenade Cafe. I'm drooling just thinking about those sandwiches and pastries.

I LOVED our recent cruise on the Serenade. Beautiful ship. But I kept wishing there was a Promenade Cafe there. Can't have everything, I guess.

Oh, I love the Radiance Class ships but I was only on the Radiance and the Brilliance (my favorite). I know what you mean because the first time we were on the Brilliance we kind of missed the promenade at first and the 2 pools on the pool deck but buy the end of the cruise I loved the ship!!! LOL Both the Voyager and Radiance class have their good and bad points but I'd go on either one anytime!! :D Did the Serenade have the Sea View Cafe?

We loved it on the Brilliance and Radiance ships but I heard that some of the ships changed the menu and all the ships are different now........is that true? Someone told me that the menu on the Jewel is all fish and it's called something else.

Patty

I like to watch folks surfing for "clean" tables.

Here is a concept. Bus it yourselves, clean the top, and have one of your party sit there with a cup of coffee, a clean plate, or whatever.

Part of the "do it for me" crowd. :mad:

"Do it for me crowd"? Don't forget, everyone on the ship is on vacation - they should not have to bus their own tables, and I don't think the crew expects the passengers to do that either.

But the Serenade has the Seaview Cafe! I'm semi-regretting the fact that our January cruise on the Serenade has so many port days... When will I get a chance to have one of their great Reuben sandwiches again?

I must be in the minority....I prefer the Windjammer for breakfast! But, I am usually a yogurt and muffin, or sweet bread and fruit person for breakfast (love, love, love the cranberry almond bread!). All those huge plates of food in the morning do not appeal to me.

We always eat in the main dining room, and I don't like huge breakfasts either--the menu has all sorts of lighter dishes. I usually go for a bowl of muesli topped with fruit and yogurt. And if you don't see it, ask and it will appear...

Just wondering...if we have breakfast in the dining room is a cash tip in order?

No. Your wait staff--although not your own like in the evening--are also evening servers and get their tips from their own people.

And as someone else asked: Yes, there is a Seaview Cafe. It wasn't our cup of tea, I'll have to say. But others love it. We tried it once. Too long a wait, too loud music, and basically fast food not fast. Maybe we didn't give them enough tries to understand the charm???

No. Your wait staff--although not your own like in the evening--are also evening servers and get their tips from their own people.

And as someone else asked: Yes, there is a Seaview Cafe. It wasn't our cup of tea, I'll have to say. But others love it. We tried it once. Too long a wait, too loud music, and basically fast food not fast. Maybe we didn't give them enough tries to understand the charm???

What kind of food did they have. My SIL was on the Brilliance about a year ago and she said they only had pasta dishes and someone else told me the Jewel changed theirs and only had fish dishes. When we were on the Brilliance and Radiance the menu was great! Rheuben sandwiches, steak sandwiches, burgers, tuna, etc. fish and chips, fries, onion rings, wings, mozarella sticks, crab salad, onion soup and chile served in a round loaf bread........everything was so good! And we loved sitting outside to eat it. I'm wondering why they are changing the menu on some of the ships.

Patty

What kind of food did they have. When we were on the Brilliance and Radiance the menu was great! Rheuben sandwiches, steak sandwiches, burgers, tuna, etc. fish and chips, fries, onion rings, wings, mozarella sticks, crab salad, onion soup and chile served in a round loaf bread........everything was so good! And we loved sitting outside to eat it. I'm wondering why they are changing the menu on some of the ships.

Patty

We had what you described above. Can't quite picture it with fish and pasta.

We had what you described above. Can't quite picture it with fish and pasta.

I can't imagine one of the ships having nothing but a fish menu either. I mean we both like fish, but not every day!!! And what about the people that don't like fish. I was told by a poster that RCCL was trying out different things because they are having a fish place on the boardwalk of the Oasis and they were trying it out on one of the Radiance Class ships. Hopefully, if we get back on a Radiance ship, they will have the old original menus.

Patty

We (husband, daugther, son in law and their family) do the dining room for ALL meals. I think one of the best parts of the cruise is being waited on for seven days! For those who have cruised for many years.. when did open seating for breakfast and lunch start? Our first cruise in 2002 on Carnival (same table and wait staff for all meals). Second cruise in 2004.. breakfast and lunch were open seating. I understand the reason for the change.. too many servers for too few diners.. but it was nice to have the same staff at each meal.

Archived