Photo Copy of Passport When Leaving Ship Versus Actual Passport

MESH

I cannot thank all of the people who have been so helpful in answering my questions. We are taking the the Celebrity Century out of Barcalone, Spain.

The cruise documentation mentioned that you should not take your passport with you when you leave the ship for excursions. Only take a photo copy of the passport, ID such as driver's license, and of course your shipboard key card.

When we traveled to Alaska and went into Canada and back into the U.S., there was a custom official who told a group that a copy of passport was not good enough. Since it has been nearly 40 years since I was over in Europe, we just want to do the right thing.

Thanks again everyone.

The cruise documentation mentioned that you should not take your passport with you when you leave the ship for excursions. Only take a photo copy of the passport, ID such as driver's license, and of course your shipboard key card.

You should be OK with a copy for an excursion, as long as the excursion is in a particular country. If the excursion takes you in to another country from where the ship is docked, you'll need your passport.

When we traveled to Alaska and went into Canada and back into the U.S., there was a custom official who told a group that a copy of passport was not good enough.

The official was correct. A copy of a passport is not good when crossing borders, which is what happened in this instance.

HTH,

Ellen

I cannot thank all of the people who have been so helpful in answering my questions. We are taking the the Celebrity Century out of Barcalone, Spain.

When we traveled to Alaska and went into Canada and back into the U.S., there was a custom official who told a group that a copy of passport was not good enough. Since it has been nearly 40 years since I was over in Europe, we just want to do the right thing.

Thanks again everyone.

If something should happen and you get stranded in a foreign country, how far will your copy of a passport get you? Probably just as far as a photocopy of your money or your credit cards;) .

I always carry my passport with me off the ship, even when visiting ports in Hawaii and Alaska.

I'm with ChevyCruiser: my passport stays with me wherever I am. It's the ONLY thing recognized as positive ID out of the U.S. that will also get you BACK INTO the U.S. in case of an emergency.

The copy of the passports stays where the passport isn't: in the cabin safe.

...We are taking the the Celebrity Century out of Barcelona, Spain.

The cruise documentation mentioned that you should not take your passport with you when you leave the ship for excursions. Only take a photo copy of the passport, ID such as driver's license, and of course your shipboard key card.....

They may have recently changed their policy on this. On our Med cruise on the Millennium last year we were advised that it was not necessary to carry our passport off the ship in all ports except for Croatia where we were "required" to have it on our person (although no one ever checked).

But on our recent Trans-Atlantic cruise on the Constellation last month the daily bulletin for all the ports of call in the Western Med (Spain, Portugal, Morocco and Azores) said we should carry our passports whenever we went ashore. This was also either announced, or up on the display board, in the theater when meeting for shore excursions.

I carried mine in a hidden pocket (kind of money belt type pocket) that easily tucked inside my slacks - like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Undercover-Hidden-Pocket/dp/B000RK3ZAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1224890318&sr=1-1 there are several companies who make them and most travel related sites sell them.

I don't know if there is a right or a wrong answer, but I leave the passport on the ship and take a copy. It is much simpler to prove my copy passport can be found on the ship than to produce the booklet if it goes missing while I am in a port city.

I think in the US we have been spoiled by the fact that we could go so many places such as the Caribbean without a passport. If I was on a European cruise or a country that I needed a passport to get into, I would definitely carry my real passport. Once we are required to have passport for the Caribbean, it may take a couple of years but I think the general feeling will be to carry the real passport since a copy isn't worth the paper it's written on. Just think in terms of having a problem with a tour or an illness while off the ship.

We can all give examples of not having a problem with no passport but all it takes is once...

They may have recently changed their policy on this. On our Med cruise on the Millennium last year we were advised that it was not necessary to carry our passport off the ship in all ports except for Croatia where we were "required" to have it on our person (although no one ever checked).

But on our recent Trans-Atlantic cruise on the Constellation last month the daily bulletin for all the ports of call in the Western Med (Spain, Portugal, Morocco and Azores) said we should carry our passports whenever we went ashore. This was also either announced, or up on the display board, in the theater when meeting for shore excursions.

I carried mine in a hidden pocket (kind of money belt type pocket) that easily tucked inside my slacks - like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Undercover-Hidden-Pocket/dp/B000RK3ZAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1224890318&sr=1-1 there are several companies who make them and most travel related sites sell them.

Larry good to know....was there an explanation or an understanding of why this was required? The consequences seem very steep to me over loss of a passport. Tnx.

I think in the US we have been spoiled by the fact that we could go so many places such as the Caribbean without a passport. If I was on a European cruise or a country that I needed a passport to get into, I would definitely carry my real passport. Once we are required to have passport for the Caribbean, it may take a couple of years but I think the general feeling will be to carry the real passport since a copy isn't worth the paper it's written on. Just think in terms of having a problem with a tour or an illness while off the ship.

We can all give examples of not having a problem with no passport but all it takes is once...

Yes, but with the cruise ship key card carried, all anyone would have to do is call the port manager or the cruise ship to get any details or verification of who someone is by birth, nationality, even photo ID. The ship is the banker for all that info. I'm really challenged by this apparent change.

Larry good to know....was there an explanation or an understanding of why this was required? The consequences seem very steep to me over loss of a passport. Tnx.

No explanation - and I didn't ask for one.

When you think about it the consequences of a lost passport don't seem quite as bad as being overseas, or on an island, and not having a passport at all when you suddenly miss the ship or have an emergency while ashore. Although neither situation would be pleasant.

And while I've felt the same as you in the past, I've never really lost anything like that and do take precautions like the hidden pocket to protect against both theft and an accidental loss on my part.

No explanation - and I didn't ask for one.

When you think about it the consequences of a lost passport don't seem quite as bad as being overseas, or on an island, and not having a passport at all when you suddenly miss the ship or have an emergency while ashore. Although neither situation would be pleasant.

And while I've felt the same as you in the past, I've never really lost anything like that and do take precautions like the hidden pocket to protect against both theft and an accidental loss on my part.

Thanks Larry...I am thinking more overseas fear than Caribbean fear.

Just curious...

If by some chance you miss the ship's departure...How far can you go with a paper copy of your passport? Your "real" passport is on the ship which is no longer in the same place as you! :eek:

Pat :)

You don't need a copy of the passport or the passport to reboard the ship...you must have the key card. A TA or a cruiseline rep can verify some significant details about who you say you are based on that key card, starting with you didn't make it back on the ship since your card did nor ring in. They already know you are not there by sailing time.

I'll try to make my previous question a little clearer.

If the ship has sailed onto the next port...How do you get out the counrtry you are still in and onto the next one with only a paper copy of your passport not the "real" passport.

My understanding is it's up to you to get to the next port at your own expense if you miss the ship. You'd have to fly to catch up. So how do you get out of that country and into the next without your "real" passport?

Seapass only works to get you back onboard if the ship is still in the same port as you.

I have been on so many cruises, I can't remember, but it seems that the ship took our passports, and kept them until the end of the cruise.

Maybe this is only on certain cruises to particular counties. I am thinking maybe the Med.

We always carried a copy with us, when off the ship, plus our DL's and birth certificate.

But I know for a fact that some ships have kept our passports on some cruises.

Of course if you run into a problem, you can go to the local US Embassy.

If the ship has sailed onto the next port...How do you get out the counrtry you are still in and onto the next one with only a paper copy of your passport not the "real" passport.

My understanding is it's up to you to get to the next port at your own expense if you miss the ship. You'd have to fly to catch up. So how do you get out of that country and into the next without your "real" passport?

Seapass only works to get you back onboard if the ship is still in the same port as you.

I recognize that the costs are mine to bear. The idea is that as long as I am coherent, I can explain who I am, what happened and then be able to describe where the actual passport is located in the cabin, and in my case with the safe's combination.

I have a seapass card that gives me a credible location of where I should be and a paper passport that describes who I should be.

At least with those two details, the credibility documents will provide me the opportunity to prove to some degree who I say I am, and a chance to get where I am supposed to be with less difficulty and more support based on documentations.

I may still need to get to an embassy if an actual passport is lost or stolen, and I am not sure how credible my explanations may be if I have no tangible tie to placing me on a ship if my sea pass card were to be gone along with my original document passport.

Just thinking out loud, the whole idea of giving up the passport makes me nervous.

In the Med, there are no border crossings anymore and no passport checks anywhere. You can travel easily from Spain to France, Italy, Switzerland and wherever because there aren't border guards anymore.

As for how far you can get without a passport, I have firsthand knowledge of this. When traveling with a friend, he lost his passport in Italy and all he needed to do was go to the US Embassy and apply for an emergency passport. Believe it or not, any other American can vouch for you (if you don't believe it, go to the State Department website and read it for yourself) that you're a citizen. And, Embassies and Consulates DO accept a color copy of your passport as a valid ID for getting an emergency passport.

And, here's another thing: I've been on cruises in Europe and basically all over the world and the cruise ship has taken the passports of all their passengers and locked them up. This has happened on at least 85% of my cruises. Heck, Regent and Crystal even took, and held, my passport for Alaskan, Canadian and Caribbean cruises. If the cruise line feels you don't need your passport off the ship, it must be OK.

Part 1: Start with the premise that you need to get back on the ship. The PORT SECURITY all want to see a picture ID. So, you show them what you have to prove who you are. Your seapss card is only HALF the identification you need to get back on the ship, because the non-cruiseline authorities won't let you near the ship unless you verify the name on the seapass card and on the picture id are the same, AND the picture id looks like you.

If it's a copy of your photo ID (DL or passport), they are NOT going to be happy, but maybe it will be OK.

Part 2: Now, let's say you got left at the dock. The ship's customer service manager will try to find your passport in your cabin and leave it with the port authority at the dock. Lucky you if they find it.

Now comes the hard part: getting to the next port. If it's in another country THEY WILL NOT LET YOU OUT OF THE ONE YOU ARE STUCK IN WITH A PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR PASSPORT. So, off to the U.S. Embassy you go. They will accept your photocopy of your passport, and FORTY-EIGHT HOURS later you have your replacement. Where's the ship by now?

Part 3: Now comes the REALLY hard part: you are knocked out by a bicyclist who ran into you on the street, and you're in the emergency room. They find your seapass card, and know your name, but that's about it. If they know to contact the ship, then they might know more. But, chances are they just know your name, and you cannot finish up Part 2 above until you are out of the hospital.

Part 4: Now comes the REALLY, REALLY hard part: you are (wrongfully) accused of stealing something from a souvenir store. You're basically screwed without your REAL passport, and Part 2 above will take a very long time to achieve.

Keep your passport with you; yes, in a hidden wallet or neck purse (I use this for both our passports). Also, keep your medical info with it, too.

We usually didn't take our passports out of the safe till it was time to go home, except for customs checks on board. But last Jan. in NZ we were told that we had to have our real passports to get on and off the ship for security reasons--no copies. When the excursion buses returned to the ship we had to show both our SeaPasses and passports to get off the bus. I don't know how it is now, but will take my passport off the ship on the next cruise in Jan. to the Carib. only if required.

We usually didn't take our passports out of the safe till it was time to go home, except for customs checks on board. But last Jan. in NZ we were told that we had to have our real passports to get on and off the ship for security reasons--no copies. When the excursion buses returned to the ship we had to show both our SeaPasses and passports to get off the bus. I don't know how it is now, but will take my passport off the ship on the next cruise in Jan. to the Carib. only if required.

I agree with you, Kathie. It's just so much easier for us to do the same thing no matter where we go. We don't have to remember who wants what kind of ID: they ALL accept a passport. So, we use it everywhere we go, even in the U.S. It's like planning to the most stringent requirement. If you have that covered, then the rest of the requirements that are less are covered, too.

In the last 18 months we have cruised to Mexico, Hawaii, and Europe. It's funny, but the security in HAWAII (the U.S.) was the most stringent. Go figure.

Yes, but with the cruise ship key card carried, all anyone would have to do is call the port manager or the cruise ship to get any details or verification of who someone is by birth, nationality, even photo ID. The ship is the banker for all that info. I'm really challenged by this apparent change.

1.) When we sailed on the Quest to the Panama Canal...I believe we had to turn in our passports, same in the Med. on Oceania. In the 1 country thet required them...we had them returned for the time on shore, and then were collected again.

2.) Again on the Quest last year...we HAD a photo ID as our seapass...they took your photo as you boarded, and put them on the card just as they do at Costco or your Motor Vehicle Dept. In that case I don't know if it's required to carry another one? But we carry the copies of our passports anytime onshore.

Just my 2 cents worth here. I travel internationally for business about 8 or nine times a year. Fortunately for me, a lot of the travel is in the Caribbean. For me personally, under no circumstances ever will I be without my passport on my person. This is especially true on a cruise. The reason is simple and selfish...If I screw up and miss the ship, I have absolutely no desire to mess around with the Embassy for a couple of days to get an emergency replacement. It can be done, and it's not a huge deal to do, but it is a sure fire way to screw up your vacation. Most hotels that you would want to stay in are going to require a passport at registration. A copy may work in that circumstance, but then again, it may not. In Trinidad, it will not. There are a myriad of other reasons to carry the real deal with you, outlined in other posts.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

The above poster makes a lot of sense overall, but for the Caribbean...

In the Caribbean we almost always are going swimming at the beach at one point or another. I try not to take anything to the beach that has any value that I can't carry with me into the water and I would definitely not feel comfortable leaving my passport back in my beach bag while I'm snorkeling.

But at other ports I'm becoming convinced that carrying a passport is a good idea.

One point about Barcelona....it is known that pickpocketing is a problem there so do be careful from the moment you leave the plane - although remember you'll need your passport out (not in a hidden pocket) to both clear immigration on arrival and to check into a pre-cruise hotel. We've never had a problem in Barcelona nor have we met anyone personally who has, but we have read stories. I will say that we've sailed out of Barcelona twice and each time we go there we fall more and more in love with the city. If and when we sail from there again we'll take more than a couple pre-cruise days there - so do enjoy it!

Thanks again everyone.

There are some very strict customs laws that apply to the US/ Canada borders. This is for obvious reasons of having a wide open border.

However, when I have cruised to other International and Caribbean ports I have only used a copy of my passport. I have had absolutely no problems.

I, understand, the many varied reasons for taking your passport along when you leave the ship. However, for me, they don't counter balance the fear of a lost or stolen passport.

Archived