My Eurodam Review - October 18-25, 2008

jjb415

I was fortunate enough to book a last minute cabin on the Eurodam for her first week-long Caribbean sailing October 18-25, 2008. This week the ship was chartered by a motivational speaker and cabins were offered to the general public as well as those interested in his lectures and business opportunities. All aboard were offered the option of attending any or all events, which I didn't do. There were no Mariner events for this week. The itinerary was Ft. Lauderdale, Nassau, Sea, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Sea, Sea. Not being a sun or hot weather person, I didn't disembark the ship until our arrival in Ft. Lauderdale. I was purely aboard to enjoy myself aboard the Eurodam.

The Eurodam was probably the most beautiful ship that I've been aboard. It has all of the nice features of the Vista ships with a more refined, toned-down feel. The Ocean Bar has a more open atmosphere compared to those on the Vista ships and all areas just seem to be fresher in appearance with the use of natural colors. The Tamarind & Silk Bar are beautiful and the Explorers Lounge has a very nice new bar and the usual open feel. I did miss the nice large mosaic floor forward of the Explorers Lounge and the large painting nearby that other Vista ships offer. Eurodam's Martini Bar was very nice with more sedate brown sofas and the plexiglass Atrium stairs were an improvement. The Lido has a fresh new feel with beautiful china and cups (no plastic here, like on other lines). The forward stairway has the usual ship painings by Stephen J. Card, that I always enjoy, including a new one of the Eurodam. I am curious about the lounge chairs without cushions that seem to be in every elevator lobby though - I've got to research that one - it wasn't discussed on the Ipod Art Tour. They must be from a decomissioned ship or have an interesting story I'm sure.

My cabin, an OceanView on Main Deck near the Front Office was set up like the usual Balcony Category cabin. It had the beds perpendicular to the entry with a nice sitting area and desk by the window, which meant no sitting on the bed to look out the window, a great idea. It was nicely decorated with a redesigned adjustable cocktail table, sofabed, flat screen, and desk as well as a redesigned footstool/stowage/deskseat. Nice brown carpet and dark woods made the room feel like Holland America only newer and more updated.

When traveling solo, I don't eat in the Dining Room. Room Service Breakfast arrived on-time and correct each of the 5 days that I ordered it. On this ship the Pasta Bar and Taco Bar have been combined inside the Lido. The area usually used for the Taco Bar outside the Hamburger Window is now cafe seating pool-side. The Pizza Bar is by the aft pool. Pasta/Taco/Mexican Bar was open until 5pm and the Pizza Bar is open until late in the evening. It was nice to have the Pizza Bar available during sail-away. The Pasta Bar was my favorite lunch spot with a good selection of pasta dishes and sauces & the Salad Bar was the best at sea. My favorite dessert, carrot cake, was offered twice during the week.:)

The production shows were absolutely the best that I can ever remember seeing at sea. The singers and dancers were the most professional and well-rehearsed of any ship I've been aboard. Full use of the stage, wonderful scenery, and their enthusiasm was appreciated by the audience. All of the other bands, performers, and ship's entertainers were excellent.

As this was a charter, most of my fellow travelers had meetings during sea days. Consequently, everyday aboard seemed like a sea day to me. Deck 3, Promenade Deck, always had the empty feel of a port day - you could stroll or just sit on the fantatic deck chairs - it was always quiet and relaxed. That teak wrap-around deck is just one of the things that keep me coming back to Holland America again and again.

The crew was very friendly and helpful, especially those at the Front Office and Tamarind. When passing the Front Office, I was always greeted with a 'hello sir' and smile. The staff in Tamarind was wonderful and the presentation was beautiful. Food there was just good. The only weekness was that my Room Steward needed to be asked to vacume the floor of my cabin. It didn't appear to have been vacumed for about 2 weeks when I boarded and I reminded him on the second day of the trip. I also had to ask for breakfast order cards 3 out of the 5 days. He was otherwise a very friendly man with a sense of humor and spoke perfect English. My ice bucket was always full and the bed sheets were as tight as a drum. Most other staff were friendly and seemed happy to be aboard the new ship, there wasn't too much of that glassy-eyed 'when am I getting out of here' look on many of the staff's faces.

Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze. I used Express Disembarkation and was in a cab to the airport by 8am after a 6am arrival. The only strange thing about Ft. Lauderdale disembarkation was that the taxis were pulling up roadside and not pulling into the terminal. I had to cross a damp stretch of grass behind the busses to reach the dispatcher who loaded my bags - not a problem for me, but, I would expect awkward for those with large bags and women in nice shoes.

I have to say that I am pretty easy to please and have never had a bad cruise. My favorite ship in the fleet has probably been the current Rotterdam but the Eurodam may replace that one - but, it really doesn't matter to me. I like them all.

Cushions are missing because the ones that came with the ship did not meet us fire codes and they are being remade....

Glad you enjoyed the cruise...

On Question:

How were the cabanas used on the caribbean cruise. The use will probably determine if they stay around or not.

Enjoyed the review. Rhank you for taking the time to write it

Ruth & Jim

Enjoyed your review very much! We were on the Eurodam right before you and I can tell you the "naked" sofas had to have their cushions removed as they were not up to the fire code. The sofas are still there waiting for new cushions because they are bolted down to the floor. Stan said it would be 13 weeks before the new cushions came so they are going to be that way for awhile yet.:(

Thanks for the review. We are sailing on her in November and I try to check out every review.

We are in a guaranteed Balcony mode and are still waiting on our cabin assignment. Hopefully it will turn out to be a good one.

Have a great next cruise.

Thanks so much for posting the first Eurodam Caribbean review:) I have been looking forward to hearing the first reports come in since we sail 6 weeks from this Saturday. Actually we would have been on your sailing had it not been chartered but instead we went on the Oosterdam last week ;)

Sounds like you had a wonderfully relaxing week at a very good price on a very nice ship :)

I will be on Eurodam in 3 weeks and was wondering what night is Dutch Night in dinning room?

We didn't have a Dutch night or Master Chef night on the Oct 1-14 Canada/New England Eurodam. Not sure if they have dropped it entirely.

Since I'll be sailing on the Eurodam in January, I was happy to read such a positive review of the ship. It will be my first time on a HAL cruise after sailing on many other lines - Celebrity has been my favorite. Who knows, maybe after the Eurodam I'll have a new favorite. ;)

Cindy

Archived