Aft Lovers - Would you trade an AD for a AA?

falken

Anyone who has stayed in an AE/AD and a AA on a jewel class ship which would you recommend? We love being able to use the balcony on the AD durring the entire trip (very little wind), we also leave the balcony door open all night to smell the ocean and listen to the wake.

However... I have the chance to upgrade to the AA owners suite at the front of the ship. Has anyone been in both and still prefer being in the AFT?

Gone in 60 seconds. I love the aft cabins and always book them. There is a huge difference in the level of service and the space of the AA then an AD including access to the courtyard. Keep in mind you always have the second side balcony to enjoy in the AA.

Unless I am not understanding you, you will be sailing on a ship where the AA's are Forward, not actual Courtyard Villas. If I am correct in how I am understanding you, I will be the lone ranger here and tell you I would not give up the Aft for the AA suite. I was confronted with this just today (I actually have a thread going right now where I made the comment). We could have upgraded from an AE to an AA but we would not give up the Aft for Forward. Maybe if it were to a Courtyard Villa, but not just for a Forward AA suite. I realize that even the AAs that are Forward are a lot bigger than the ADs, but we chose to go for the AE to the AD and for go the AA in order to keep the Aft.

I loved our AD on the back of the Pearl, but I think I would take the AA upsell (uprgade?).

As previously mentioned, the room is MUCH bigger and, in addition to the front balcony, you have a side balcony. Plus, you have access to the courtyard area if you wish and (so far unmentioned) three bottles of free booze. :rolleyes:

I loved our AD on the back of the Pearl, but I think I would take the AA upsell (uprgade?).

As previously mentioned, the room is MUCH bigger and, in addition to the front balcony, you have a side balcony. Plus, you have access to the courtyard area if you wish and (so far unmentioned) three bottles of free booze. :rolleyes:

I thought I had read that recently they had stopped providing the free alcohol for the AA and now it was only given to the GVs.

I thought I had read that recently they had stopped providing the free alcohol for the AA and now it was only given to the GVs.

No, three bottles in the AA (OS) and A2 (DOS). Six bottles in the GV. I think there was a brief period where it was canceled, but the powers that be reversed course quickly.

Anyone who has stayed in an AE/AD and a AA on a jewel class ship which would you recommend? We love being able to use the balcony on the AD durring the entire trip (very little wind), we also leave the balcony door open all night to smell the ocean and listen to the wake.

However... I have the chance to upgrade to the AA owners suite at the front of the ship. Has anyone been in both and still prefer being in the AFT?

Did it last week. From an AE to and AA on the Gem. You have a side balcony plus the big front balcony. Not to mention the bathroom to die for. You are able to use the Courtyard area & private sundeck also. This will be our 5th time in an AA. The AE is nice (we have stayed in one 3 times), but nothing like the AA.

GO FOR IT!

Happy Cruising

We had an upsell from an AD to an AA on the Pearl to Alaska in May. While we thoroughly enjoyed the AA and all the extra perks (use of the Courtyard, VIP seating at the shows, 3 bottles of liquor), we both agree that we prefer a cabin aft rather than on the front of the ship. We were not able to enjoy our front balcony as much as we would have liked even though we did have a side balcony, we couldn't sleep with that open.

I'd save the money and stick with an AE or an AD aft!:)

• Administrators
We had an upsell from an AD to an AA on the Pearl to Alaska in May. While we thoroughly enjoyed the AA and all the extra perks (use of the Courtyard, VIP seating at the shows, 3 bottles of liquor), we both agree that we prefer a cabin aft rather than on the front of the ship. We were not able to enjoy our front balcony as much as we would have liked even though we did have a side balcony, we couldn't sleep with that open.

I'd save the money and stick with an AE or an AD aft!:)

Sandy, I'm really surprised to read this. I loved your Alaska photos from this May, especially this one -- I sent it to my SO to prepare him for the cabin I'm going to want when we finally are able to cruise the Panama Canal!

2971905080101666721S600x600Q85.jpg

That's the kind of view only a few cruiselines offer (those with a bow viewing area in Alaska). On NCL to get that view, you pretty much have to be where your family was, no? I'm not surprised that, having tried both options, you have decided you prefer aft -- that's personal choice and nobody can second-guess that. It's just always seemed to me that I might wind up thinking "aft, unless I can have OS perks." :) It's good to have your views on it, but I did wonder why you couldn't sleep with the side balcony door open? Was it just that you were in Alaska in May? ;)

I'm not positive I'd pay a lot for this kind of upgrade on a garden variety Caribbean cruise, but if you've "been there, done that" in aft penthouses I'd think that if the price was do-able it would be a real lark to check it out (especially on a scenic itinerary like Panama Canal, Alaska, etc). You can always go back to aft next time. :)

I love the idea of the perks that come with the suite and totally admit to being spoiled rotten :D on this past cruise , but I don't think that I could give up the aft for an AA. We loved the penthouse on the Sky and it was a total plus being aft. It was very relaxing to sit out at night and look at the wake, not to mention the light pollution free sky! We just booked a mini suite on the Pearl aft that is a glorified balcony...if a suite presents itself to us, I guess it would depend where it is and how desperate I am at the moment to be pampered. Luckily for me I have over a year before I cruise again!:p

MichellP, while we did enjoy our OS this year and also the Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Pearl last year (both acquired by great upsells), nothing can compare to the views and and sounds of the wake that you get in an AE or an AD. Also, the heavenly aromas from the bakery a few decks below is wonderful!:D

While the perks are greater in an OS, we really didn't take advantage of all of them as we don't drink, so the 3 free bottles of liquor wasn't important, being able to use the Courtyard wasn't good on an Alaskan cruise as you can't see any of the fantastic scenery from there.

The front balcony was fantastic for Glacier Bay viewing but we were unable to use it when cruising from port to port as it was just way too windy (and cold) out there. It was nice when we slowed as we neared the different ports and we did enjoy the side balcony when we couldn't be out front. Since the living/dining room area is next to the side balcony, if we left that door open, we couldn't hear the sounds of the ocean way back in the bedroom area.

We felt the movement of the ship much more in the OS than we have in other cabins we have stayed in. One night it was particularly rough and we could barely walk from the bed to the bathroom without holding on to something.

We had a "once in a lifetime" chance for an Owner's Suite (and Deluxe Owner's Suite) and we're glad we took it and were able to enjoy all the VIP treatment that comes with it as we would never be able to afford to book something like that at the going rate!:eek:

Although for our cruise next year to Alaska, we've booked an AB Suite on the Star because we need the 2 bedrooms. So no upsells for us next year!;) (unless we can get the GV at a fantastic price)!

Sandy, I'm really surprised to read this. I loved your Alaska photos from this May, especially this one -- I sent it to my SO to prepare him for the cabin I'm going to want when we finally are able to cruise the Panama Canal!

I'm not positive I'd pay a lot for this kind of upgrade on a garden variety Caribbean cruise, but if you've "been there, done that" in aft penthouses I'd think that if the price was do-able it would be a real lark to check it out (especially on a scenic itinerary like Panama Canal, Alaska, etc). You can always go back to aft next time. :)

Michell,

The fun part of our Panama Canal repo was the group of folks we had AND we worked it during the transit day to have a progressive party. We had folks in a CV (A3), Romance Suite, AC (one of the center ones on deck 10 with the bump-out) and an AB. We had all four sides of the ship covered.

We started in the CV and went up to the upper sun-deck, then to the AC, then to our AD, spent a little time in the AB while going down the river and to watch a medical emergency being evacuated (I think as a precaution. He walked off, but did get in an ambulance.), back to the AC most of Gatun Locks, and back to our AD for leaving the last lock. It was a wonderful day. Three of us had our butlers set up spreads in our rooms to make the day extra special.

We all ended up with terrific pictures and memories to last a lifetime.

Now I'm really confused! Which way should I go when the fairy calls me? (lol... i know like that's gonna happen!) This is my first cruise and I had originally started out thinking I would take no less than a balcony cabin as it is a momentous birthday for me. Well long story short decided that the AE aft was what I really needed to mark the occassion :D from all that I read about it here on CC.

I also read about the Upgrade/sell fairy and looked at the descriptions of the suites which would be an upgrade for me. From what I read at the NCL site I thought that if she/he did call that the A3 would be the minimum I would take as it states that it would have access to the lounge and private courtyard area with pool, hot tub and sundeck. Now in going back and re-reading the descriptions I do notice that the AA/A2/A1 have access to the "exclusive" private courtyard area with pool, hot tub and sundeck. So are these 2 different areas where the AA/A2/A1 have theirs and the A4/A3 have their own area away from the rest of the ship?

In reading these posts I am no more sure than I was before if I would actually take the upgrade/sell as I really like the thought of the aft (but a private courtyard away from the masses is probably the biggest thing that would sway me away. It will only be DH and myself so don't really need that much extra space.

I guess I'll keep watch on here and if he/she calls will agonize at that point on what to do and then maybe just flip a coin!! LOL (it's a rough life)

Now in going back and re-reading the descriptions I do notice that the AA/A2/A1 have access to the "exclusive" private courtyard area with pool, hot tub and sundeck. So are these 2 different areas where the AA/A2/A1 have theirs and the A4/A3 have their own area away from the rest of the ship?quote]

The A4/A3 share the private courtyard with the AA/A2/A1. Now the A2 (Deluxe Owner's Suite) on the Pearl had a terrific huge balcony with your very own private hot tub! Lots of pictures here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/563924730iHamjI

IMG_5041.1.JPG.4a6b5496a919aaa0540e2bf4003d67db.JPG

Thanks Brunolvr for the pics.

Okay oh benevolent Fairy you can call me now and won't have to twist my arm! LOL

But until you do I will dream of my aft cabin and feel extremely blessed that I can do this with the love of my life for the last 28 years. :)

Archived