Airline checkin while still onboard

abb4k

We are flying home (from Florida) on Southwest, and therefore will not have assigned seats on our flight. If we wait until we get to the airport to check in, we will surely be in the last boarding group, and probably get stuck with middle seats. Ordinarily (if I were on land), I would check in 24 hours ahead of time on the internet, and secure a boarding pass that would put us in the first boarding group.

Does anyone happen to know if HAL offers a way to check in (online) and print boarding passes while still onboard?

Must I purchase an internet package, or is there a dedicated computer terminal available just for this limited purpose (as many hotels now offer)?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I also fly Southwest. A lot of times on the next to the last day, they'll offer a mini-internet pkg. (10-15 min.) for those that want to do online check-in.

Sorry, no freebie, you'll have to pay. :(

Roz

I think you go to a pay-as-you-go and just pay for the time to connect to Southwest and print the boarding passes. I also found you can check in and not have the boarding passes printed. On our last Princess cruise for some reason, the computer did not send to the printer. But I called Southwest and they did have us checked it with our group and assigned number. Our boarding passes were then printed at the airport. So you can still get in the A group by checking in on board ship.

Barbara

Thanks for the info, that is very helpful. A 10-minute internet connection with a printer is all we will need!

LOL! Save yourself the printer charge---and time. You really don't need to print out your own boarding pass. Once you've checked in with the system, you've checked in. When you get to the airport a boarding pass will be printed for you.

I do it this way with Southwest every chance I get. :D

Now that I think about it, since we won't actually need the paper boarding passes, we can just have a friend back home check us in online. That would save us the time, inconvenience and expense of doing it onboard.

Now that I think about it, since we won't actually need the paper boarding passes, we can just have a friend back home check us in online. That would save us the time, inconvenience and expense of doing it onboard.

Now there's a good plan! :D

Great idea. It's one of those....... why didn't I think of that type things~! :D

DH and I haven't flown Southwest in ages but if we did, that is what I would do.

(Southwest doesn't have a huge presence in Boston. :) )

That's a great idea.

Just have your friend put a "post a note" near their computer screne so they don't forget.

And then -- don't you forget to get them a little something from one of the islands.

Does anyone happen to know if HAL offers a way to check in (online) and print boarding passes while still onboard?

Must I purchase an internet package, or is there a dedicated computer terminal available just for this limited purpose (as many hotels now offer)?

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a free lunch. You can purchase a small package on the last day of the cruise and check in from the internet center. I think they sell packages as small as 15 minutes. You'll also be charged, I think 25 cents for each printout.

They will have someone in the internet cafe to assist you in printing out your boarding pass on that last day of the cruise. There are only certain workstations that are linked to the printer, so you'll want to make sure you use one of them.

That last day was the only time while I was on the Statendam last week that the internet response time slowed to a crawl. I was trying to access the internet from my cabin and it was taking forever to do everything. Then I remembered ... people are in the Explorations Cafe doing their boarding passes.

Blue skies ...

--rita

And keep in mind -- the Internet is SLOW!!!

I honestly have to disagree with this.

I found internet response time to generally be very good on the Statendam ... certainly no slower than dial up ... and I was working from a wireless connection, which is generally a bit slower anyway than a regular hard-wired connection.

But, yes, I will agree ... when everyone is on the workstations in the Explorations Cafe on that last day of the cruise ... all trying to access their airlines' website to print boarding passes ... it does slow down quite a bit.

By the way, I don't know if I'd want to chance going to the airport without a printed boarding pass. Too much potential for something to go wrong and I wind up not being listed as checked in. Frankly, I'd rather have that piece of paper in my hot little hand, even if it costs me a few bucks to get it. I have zero faith in the airlines these days.

But, then ... that's just me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived