Los Cincos Soles

tweidner

We will be in Cozumel the week of Thanksgiving and we are planning to go to Los Cincos Soles. Rumor has it that there is good shopping there. Has anyone shopped there and what did you think? Is it worth the trip? The other question is, from the main cruise ship port should you walk or get a taxi? If you take a taxi there, how difficult is it to get one back?

If you are at Langosta pier, you can walk. If at the International or Puerta Maya piers, you will need a cab. Cabs are plentiful going and coming. Price about $6 for 2 people.

Los Cincos Soles is a very large shopping area. In the center, in a courtyard is Pancho's Backyard, a very nice lunch stop.

If you are at Puerta Maya, there is a Los Cincos Soles there, as well as a Pancho's. Probably not as big, and prices downtown may be better.

We will be in Cozumel the week of Thanksgiving and we are planning to go to Los Cincos Soles. Rumor has it that there is good shopping there. Has anyone shopped there and what did you think?
If you want fixed prices, large selection of a wide variety of items, no extra charge for credit card use, a pleasant, air conditioned shopping experience, then yes it's a great place to shop.

Is it worth the trip?
That's a value judgment. I think it is, but not if you want to negotiate prices.

The other question is, from the main cruise ship port should you walk or get a taxi?
You'll want to take a taxi if you are arriving at the International pier or Puerta Maya.

If you take a taxi there, how difficult is it to get one back?
Super easy.

Here are photos from inside the main Los Cinco Soles store in town:

lsc1.jpg

lcs2.jpg

lcs3.jpg

lcs4.jpg

From either pier, we always take a taxi all the way north to the main downtown Cinco Soles store, start our shopping there, and then walk back south.

There is never a shortage of taxis to hail for the trip back, which you'll want to do if you're at the far south pier. The other, downtown, is walkable.

Having visited Mexico many times on land trips, and shopped across the border frequently for 40 years, I can say that the prices at Cinco Soles are fair and the merchandise is high quality. I especially like their silver jewelry, but their shirts are also a good quality. (Not cheap, but not cheaply made either.)

Enjoy!

Jan

Yes I also agree that Los Cinco Soles is a great place to shop. Definitely go to the main store downtown. They have a couple of smaller satellite stores but the main one has much more to choose from. I think they have good prices and quality products. It was a "must see" store on our visit 2 weeks ago and bought quite a few things there. I also bought my vanilla there.

There is a small Cinco Soles at the International Pier. But as the above poster said, do go to the very large, main store downtown. It is on the malecon (street along the sea). Walk back toward to pier and stop for a drink at Las Palmas or other bar near or on the plaza. Then taxi back to the ship.

We will be making our 6th (or 7th:confused:) trip to Cozumel in about a month and can't wait to get to Los Cinco Soles. We always shop in the store downtown and no trip to Cozumel is ever complete without a couple of margarittas at Pancho's Backyard in the courtyard of the store.

Have never purchased any item from the store that I felt was not worth the price paid. Have purchased many silver jewelry items as well as vanilla, seasoning sauces, decorations, t-shirts and more.

There's a taxi stand just outside the store -- which comes in handy if you get carried away with the margarittas at Panchos.:D

Dianne

Question: how late are they open? I'm sure they'll take advantage of cruise ship passengers staying late, but I want to make sure.

I'm coming in on Carnival Imagination, and we don't leave until 10 p.m. I wanted to go to the beach until about 5 p.m. and then shop, but I don't want to be disappointed if the shop has already closed.

Any input? :confused:

Thanks! :)

Question: how late are they open? I'm sure they'll take advantage of cruise ship passengers staying late, but I want to make sure.

I'm coming in on Carnival Imagination, and we don't leave until 10 p.m. I wanted to go to the beach until about 5 p.m. and then shop, but I don't want to be disappointed if the shop has already closed.

Any input? :confused:

Thanks! :)

Los Cinco Soles will still beopen when you get back from the beach (as will most, if not all, of the shops downtown or in the malls close to the dock.

Not sure if they will be open until 9 or 10 pm. Never been in port that late. But am sure the stores will stay open later than 6 or 7 p.m. as long as there is a ship in port.

Dianne

Hey 98Charlie,

Have you ever seen childrens earrings, like the kind that have the screw on backs? I have a 3 yr old I'd like to get a pair for and it's been hard to get any in the states. I know they pierce ears at a young age and thought it might be easier to find those kind in Cozumel.

Karen, FL :cool:

Hey 98Charlie,

Have you ever seen childrens earrings, like the kind that have the screw on backs? I have a 3 yr old I'd like to get a pair for and it's been hard to get any in the states. I know they pierce ears at a young age and thought it might be easier to find those kind in Cozumel.

Karen, FL :cool:

Sorry, but I have never seen small screw back earrings at Los Cinco or at any other jewelry store in Cozumel. I have found a limited supply of clip earrings at different stores, including Los Cinco Soles.

I do not have pierced ears and have looked for clip earrings at about every port we go to.

My only suggestion would be to try e-bay for screw back earrings. I have often found small style screw backs there, normaly under the ``vintage'' jewelry area on the site.

Dianne

Archived