Thomson baggage allowance

We've just booked our cruise on Celebration to celebrate daughters 18th birthday on 12th Dec. She has been buying new posh frocks as she loves dressing up to go out I hope others will dress up too and make an effort.

I'm a bit worried now about the baggqage allowance does anyone know if they are really strict? Do they make you weigh everything you have i.e handbags cameras etc in the allowance?

My daughter and I are desperately trying to loose a few pounds each shame we can't add them to our allowance:D:D

Yes, they do weigh your luggage - now 25Kg p.p. I believe. We have always tried to keep inside this (case plus hand-luggage) although I don't remember them weighing our hand luggage before - but strictly speaking you are only allowed one piece of hand luggage. You never know which airports are going to enforce the rules - and sometimes the airport has different rules to each other and to the carrier (with regard to hand baggage size). Check both Thomson and your airport websites carefully. We use flight bags into which we put cameras and I pop a small shoulder bag in too and put the passports etc. into it. Once through check-in you can always retrieve it. Just make sure you can stuff eveything you're carrying into one bag.

We take some 'dressy' things too (including DH's DJ) and we've managed even for 2-week trips with about 23/24Kg and I take quite a lot - not exactly something different for everyday - but no need to wear anything outfit more than twice. Two or three nice tops to each pair of trousers helps!

I don't get much chance to dress up at other times so it's all part of the holiday for me although I can understand some people don't want to go formal and there is always the Lido restaurant on formal night for those who prefer not to dress up too much. Yes, most people do dress up a bit in the evening - it's certainly not beach-wear in the main dining room!

Enjoy ;)

According to the brochure you get 25kg in the hold and 5kg in the cabin. From next May the numbers are 23kg and 7kg. This applies to ThomsonFly planes and other airlines they use might have different allowances. My flight to Gran Canary next March is Thomson so I should be OK, especially as when fully packed for a 7 nighter my main case was only just over 10kg!!!. I presume others must take gold bars or kitchen sinks with them.

Obviously the limit is per person otherwise what would happen if there were 7 of you!

25kg per case as well with only one case per passenger. Kids under 2 have their own allowance of 10kg. Putting them in the hold seems kind of cruel to me!

Davetheroad - didn't know the total allowance was going up to 30Kg next year - that's good! :)

Happidaze - No, I don't think you could put 50Kg in each - I think there is a weight limit for cases (H&S for the baggage handlers). At one time you could have a shared allowance between two of you e.g. 25Kg p.p. could be one case at 22Kg and another at 28Kg but again, I think it all depends on how the airport check-in staff interpret it and I think they're a bit stricter these days. We nearly came unstuck in Prague with that. It's perhaps best to pack up to your limit in each case. I have seen people opening their cases and swapping things around in front of the check-in desk - not good!!!!! :eek:

Our tickets are through and say 25kgs each but doesn't specify about hand baggage so I presumed thats 20kg hold and 5kg for hand luggage but I like what davetheroad says - 25 hold plus extra 5 hand luggage, that would be handy. Not sure I would be brave enough to take the chance, think I'll stick to 20kg in the case to be sure.

So annoying though that they can't specify exactly - usual advice is "check your tickets" and then they don't blinking well mention it on the tickets!

Just picked up this link which may help clarify

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/baggage-allowance.html

Happy packing!!

P.S. We've recently bought some digital luggage scales - they're really good and at least we can approach check-in pretty confident that we're ok weight-wise. Of course you have to take them with you for the return journey and they add to your weight (ha,ha). But I think they could soon pay for themselves by avoiding excess luggage charges as I can never remember what I put in each case when packing to come home!! :confused:.

oooh that's interesting. So, because me and hubby share a suitcase that means the big (hold) case can be 32kg (because that's the limit for each invidivual case), but also if we take a little trolley case as hand baggage, this can be up to 10kg also - I left this at home last time because it was over 5kg with hardly anything in it - but this time it will be worthwhile, hurrah!

As long as it's not bigger than the dimensions for hand baggage. :eek: It looks as though you won't be able to pool luggage either in the future. Don't you have to read all the small print soooooo carefully? (It usually says on your actual ticket what your allowance is - though it doesn't tell you about hold/hand luggage bit.)

Anyway have a good trip.

HI Jess the pest, most airport baggage handlers wont handle above 28 Kg per case. We had to take a couple of Kg from one case and put into another when we flew Thomson from Birmingham. Can be embarrasing if its undies at the top of the case,

have a good cruise

Chris

HI Jess the pest, most airport baggage handlers wont handle above 28 Kg per case. We had to take a couple of Kg from one case and put into another when we flew Thomson from Birmingham. Can be embarrasing if its undies at the top of the case,

have a good cruise

Chris

I think our case is always about 15-20 between the both of us anyway (hmmm maybe I'm not packing enough shoes) so should be okay but thanks for the info as my in-laws need to be warned as they are serial overloaders!

Hi happidaze,

They are Ballanza scales and this is the link

http://www.balanzza.co.uk/?gclid=CMaXn5Kx3pYCFQuY1Qod8k6L2w

What you have found on Lakeland looks to be the same product. It seems as though they are offering free delivery so might just be worth checking if Lakeland are too. ;)

We've found them very good though.

We've just returned from a cruise on Ventura and our flight was Thomson with a 23kgs limit and to be quite honest we could hardly lift the cases !!! we took plenty of clothes for 4 formal nights and 15 days cruising and really took too much ....so I don't think it would be a problem to keep within the limits.

Stay within your limit. Thomson not strict on the way out, but VERY strict on the way back!!

On the way home our dinner companions got collared for excess baggage. The staff weighed their suitcases which were over the 20kg limit for our flight, so they weighed their hand baggage as well - they were over the TOTAL allowance of of 25kg each by several kg.

Simply isn't worth it. I also don't think it helps to draw attention to your hand baggage by having a whopping great holdall each. Keep that within the 'regulation size', you can still fit a lot in them - we do!

I could not fit a suitcase under the bed in my Celebration cabin because there was a bracing strut about 4 inches from the floor, luckily there was plenty of room in and above the wardrobe. With 4 people you might have a problem as there has to be storage for the life jackets and the safe occupies half the shelf in the wardrobe. Soft luggage might be the answer.

Our cases fit under the beds just fine - both hold about 20Kg of luggage so they're not particularly small and you can easily get two cases under each bed. (Dave - your cases must be bigger than ours.) However, I did see a good tip from someone else on the forums who said if the cases were too deep to slide under the bed, open them up like a book so that the height's reduced. Of course they take up more space that way though but I thought it was a good idea!

If you have a 4-berth cabin you do get 4 wardrobes though so perhaps as dave says you can utilise the bottom or shelves of the wardrobe too.

I don't think so - we've just had our tickets come for a Thomson holiday - which I think is the same arrangements as the cruises and for the first time it has been very explicit in the travel document book.

The flight ticket says checked-in luggage allowance of 20kg (it says they will accept excess baggage up to 32Kg maximum but that it will be charged). They then say they allow an extra 5Kg for hand luggage and that 'you can take one item into the cabin with maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm'.

I think the 'one item' strictly means you shouldn't have a handbag as well as a flight bag as cabin luggage. You may have been lucky at Manchester - we've found very different approaches to the regulations at different airports and sometimes different approaches at the same airport on a return trip - but I wouldn't rely on it. I usually have a small handbag which I can get inside the flight bag for purposes of check-in/security clearance then take it out again once in departures. I try to stick to the requirements as there's no way I want to fall foul of the regulations in case they don't let me through!!! :eek:

Archived