Princess Fare Drops Today -- Tuesday ???

Ken076

On the Princess Web Page I noticed that the fare for our August 2009 Diamond Princess Alaska cruise had dropped; called Princess and the agent mentioned some kind of "Special/Promo" going on today (Tuesday Election Day).

Like Carnival, Princess has apparently revised their Travel Care pricing, and the agent voluntarily reduced the charges on our Travel Care Insurance in addition to adjusting our Balance Due for the fare drop.

ken

We're keeping up on the price of our next cruise--SA--the price is almost double since we purchased our c ruise.

Hotels are dropping prices like crazy--if you're traveling now or in the fairly near future--or maybe distant--good rates

In these unfortunate times--it turns out to be good for travelers

We just need to stay alert and keep checking--it's worth it--especially where there's alot of money involved.

Nancy:D

On the Princess Web Page I noticed that the fare for our August 2009 Diamond Princess Alaska cruise had dropped; called Princess and the agent mentioned some kind of "Special/Promo" going on today (Tuesday Election Day).

Mine didn't drop :( Are you sailing earlier or later in the month?

fdonarski - We're sailing Diamond Princess on 29 August 2009 Vancouver to Whittier. Price drop was about $100pp for BD cabin, plus it dropped us one "level" on the Travel Insurance for another $30pp. If you're staying in Vancouver, keep an eye on the hotel prices there! ken

I check on the Princess website at least weekly and also when someone posts price decreases on this board. Just go into the website as if you are going to make a reservation to get the current prices. My June 09 Alaska went down a little, so I emailed my TA to get us the reduction.

No reduction was showing on the Princess site for my cruise but I called my TA anyway and asked if they would check.

Check they did!! We wound up with a $200 reduction in our invoice. Woohoo!!

That was today too, so the sale must be for longer than just election day. Thanks for the tip off!

My 2/2010 cruise appeared to have dropped in price also. But upon looking into it, it was the fuel surcharge that was dropped. But the bottom line is that my total dropped by $252.00. In order to get this new price, my TA had to cancel and re-book.

HoneyBubba - Just check the Princess web site a couple times a week for your cruise and see if the price has dropped for your Category. You can make your cruise a "favorite" at top left of Princess Home page so you can just click on it. Also check these forums occasionally to see if anyone mentions a current "sale". I really wasn't expecting any price drops for Aug 2009 Alaska cruises until 6 or 8 months out, if at all - so I was surprised and actually saved about $350 (covering price of one excursion!) for two pax. The Princess agent was super cooperative and friendly. ken

I am booked Sapphire 17 Jan, Just looked were I booked the cruise and it was only $10 cheaper per head and didn't give any extras eg OBC. I would rather stay at the price I paid and get the OBC $50 p/cabin and 1 bottle of wine plus a photo voucher. Do they still give you the extras if you go for the cheaper fare?:confused:

Anthony

I find this practice slightly odd...

you agree to purchase a cruise with a specified itinery, date etc for a specific agreed price and presumably pay a deposit.

Supply and demand means the cruise line may drop price or run promos and you expect to be able to renogotiate the deal... I assume your deposit is fully refundable otherwise why wouldnt Princess just say "tough" ya paid yer money and are getting what was agreed... odd odd odd

Here in the UK, after payment of the deposit it is non-refundable but I have never heard of anyone renogotiating price once a better deal is available!!!

seb530 - It IS interesting! Many cruisers procrastinate on booking on the fear that the price will drop and they will have "paid too much". On the other hand, the cruise lines want/need to fill-up EARLY. So the Cruise Lines encourage cruisers to book early "risk-free" by granting them credit whenever the cruise rate goes down. They are also somewhat forced into this, because while you are just deposited you can cancel your booking without penalty, and re-book at the lower rate. Etc., etc. ken

seb530 - It IS interesting! Many cruisers procrastinate on booking on the fear that the price will drop and they will have "paid too much". On the other hand, the cruise lines want/need to fill-up EARLY. So the Cruise Lines encourage cruisers to book early "risk-free" by granting them credit whenever the cruise rate goes down. They are also somewhat forced into this, because while you are just deposited you can cancel your booking without penalty, and re-book at the lower rate. Etc., etc. ken

ah...good luck to you... here in the UK deposits are non-refundable the day after you book.. my deposit was $1000 on a $7000 dollar cruise so they have us by the short and curlies!!

Archived