Booking + Cancelling + Re-Booking Question

Hello, all! :)

Okay...here's the background:

I currently have a reservation booked through the WOW sale, which does provide me with $100 OBC; however, the booking is not combinable with any other discounts or offers.

When I booked through the WOW sale, I was not an RCL shareholder, nor was I platinum; however, I am now an RCL shareholder and, in three weeks, I will be platinum.

The other factor is that, when I booked, I selected two specific aft, corner cabins which are in high demand.

So, here's the question:

When I am onboard next month, would the Loyalty Ambassador be able to cancel my current booking (eliminating the first booking number, altogether) which was through the WOW sale, and re-book me as a regular, full-deposit reservation, while still holding on to my two specific aft, corner cabins?

I know I can cancel and make a new booking; my fear is that I will lose my two specifically chosen cabins. Is it possible for the Loyalty Ambassador to "hold on to" those cabins while canceling the first reservation and while creating a new reservation?

Sorry for the complexity of the question, but I would appreciate any speculation, information, or advice!

Thanks, much! :D

BTW: I am aware the time is of the essence, due to the 12/31/08 changes in combinability! That's why I want to make sure I have all of my "ducks in a row" before I make any changes!

no matter who does it, it will all be a matter of timing. The first booking needs to be canceled at which time those cabins become available and others can grab themat that time. There is no way (that I know of) to "hold" the cabins before they are released from the first booking

Here's what I did once:

I booked a cruise directly through RCCL to lock in the price and the cabin I wanted with the idea that if the price was the same when I went on an upcoming cruise that I would rebook the same cruise while on board in the same cabin category to get the on-board credit (price had not changed).

Then, when I got home, I called and cancelled the original booking and, while on the phone with the CS agent, switched cabins to the one I originally had. It worked for me but, of course, in those few seconds where you cancel the old booking and agent pulls up the new booking, the cabin could disappear but I think the odds are in your favor.

I've been told that when one cancels a cruise and immediately rebooks the same cruise for a better deal, little red flags go up. One might lose the eligibility for discounts/perks. Be cautious!

I've heard that too, but, do you think it would apply if the RCCL agent is doing both transactions for me, at that time? :confused: (Not that it is possible, but that's what I'm trying to figure out!) Perhaps the main issue is that I might not be able to find an RCCL agent willing to do it for me. :confused:

Thanks for the reminder!

I've been told that when one cancels a cruise and immediately rebooks the same cruise for a better deal, little red flags go up. One might lose the eligibility for discounts/perks. Be cautious!
That and the fact that I have been hard-pressed to find an LA willing to cancel a cruise even if rebooking. Just saying...

If you have the cabins you really, really want (and I don't know which ship you are on but not all corner afts are created equal) - I'd just keep them and be happy about it whether I could combine anything with it or not. :cool:

If you have the cabins you really, really want - I'd just keep them and be happy about it whether I could combine anything with it or not. :cool:

Yep...that is kind of where I am right now; I just keep milling it all over in my mind, so I thought I'd get some Cruise Critic feedback to see if that really is my best option!

Thanks! :)

Is a $100 really worth that much headache?

In case anybody is ever wondering why RCI is disallowing all those combinations of benefits here is a perfect example.

First, the change would actually equate to an extra $200 savings than I currently have ($100 platinum balcony discount; $100 shareholder OBC; $100 for booking while on board). So, yes, at this point, saving an extra $200 would definitely help us financially.

Second, you make it sound as if am trying to "scam" the system in some way.

As I attempted to clearly explain in my original post, when I booked my original booking, I had no idea I would be a shareholder right now. I also was not sure I would be platinum this soon; however, since I will, in fact, have both of those credentials in early December, I see nothing wrong with hoping to enjoy the extra benefits that RCCL is currently offering to the shareholders and platinum members, even though those offerings will be changing soon. I also have no problem with RCCL making the changes it plans to make; it certainly has the right to modify its own policies; but, if the original offers are still active, RCCL cruisers should feel free to enjoy the opportunities RCCL is offering.

I was simply asking for some clarification regarding the timing of this situation and the possibilities that I may have. I look forward to hearing from Cruise Critic posters who have had similar experiences, because that is an excellent way to consider my options and make decisions.

So, thank you, those who have responded, as well as those who may yet respond! Your responses are appreciated. :)

First, the change would actually equate to an extra $200 savings than I currently have ($100 platinum balcony discount; $100 shareholder OBC; $100 for booking while on board). So, yes, at this point, saving an extra $200 would definitely help us financially.

Second, you make it sound as if am trying to "scam" the system in some way.

As I attempted to clearly explain in my original post, when I booked my original booking, I had no idea I would be a shareholder right now. I also was not sure I would be platinum this soon; however, since I will, in fact, have both of those credentials in early December, I see nothing wrong with hoping to enjoy the extra benefits that RCCL is currently offering to the shareholders and platinum members, even though those offerings will be changing soon. I also have no problem with RCCL making the changes it plans to make; it certainly has the right to modify its own policies; but, if the original offers are still active, RCCL cruisers should feel free to enjoy the opportunities RCCL is offering.

I was simply asking for some clarification regarding the timing of this situation and the possibilities that I may have. I look forward to hearing from Cruise Critic posters who have had similar experiences, because that is an excellent way to consider my options and make decisions.

So, thank you, those who have responded, as well as those who may yet respond! Your responses are appreciated. :)

Your very welcome. :D

I did not say you scam the system. I simply indicated an abuse of the system. Reread my post.

I simply made a statement because cases like this and similar to this are essentially part of the reason for changes at RCI.

So it is $200. Hope its worth it. You know you can do this only because the deposit is refundable right?

And the more people do that the more likely it will be that very soon the refundable deposit will be gone as well. Hope it will be well worth it.

Happy sailings to you.

I did not say you scam the system. I simply indicated an abuse of the system. Reread my post.

I simply made a statement because cases like this and similar to this are essentially part of the reason for changes at RCI.

So it is $200. Hope its worth it. You know you can do this only because the deposit is refundable right?

And the more people do that the more likely it will be that very soon the refundable deposit will be gone as well. Hope it will be well worth it.

Happy sailings to you.

I don't see this as an abuse of the system! If you are a C&A member, and are entitled to certain OBC & discounts, stockholder entitled to OBC, these are perks that RC offeres at this point to pax who are entitled to them!

I assume some people don't TAKE their OBC & discounts to save RC more money! Get Real!!!!!! There are many pax that cancel and rebook if there is an advantage to it, or get a lower price when found!

Do you pay full price for something on sale in a store when you shop, so the store doesn't change their policies and maybe NEVER hold a sale again?

How about all the Diamond pax who earned their status to go to the D Lounge and sit there gozzling free drinks from 5:30-8:30 each and every night!!!!! Maybe RC should discontinue that too! People who take advantage of the D lounge may be ruining it for the future! I do not frequent the D Lounge due to the over crowding, and I am not one that IF IT'S FREE ITS FOR ME!

I take advantage of every OBC, discount, etc., that I have EARNED!!

To the OP, I don't see anything wrong with what you are trying to do, if you can work it out ..Go For IT!

Yes, I read your post very carefully; that is why I stated: You make it sound like I am trying to "scam" the system.

Yes, well aware. . .and, thank you, RCCL...and Carnival...and NCL...and Windjammer...and HAL, for that option, although I have never voluntarily utilized it. (I was "forced" to take one refund, from NCL, when the Norway was put out of commission due to her boiler explosion.)

No action has been taken and it will likely never be taken. I have no problem keeping what I currently have; I was simply asking for other viewpoints from cruisers who might have had a similar situation.

Also, to quell your inclination to believe that I am a chronic "canceler" (or soon will be), this is the first time, out of 14 cruises, that I have even considered canceling a booking and getting a refund, for any reason.

It is unfortunate that your focus has been to cast doubt on my character, rather than to discuss the situation objectively.

Happy sailings to you.

And to you, my fellow Cruise Critic.

I believe once you become platinum, you can have the platinum balcony discount applied to current bookings you have. Check that out.

But, yes, I have tried to do what you said and I was told my new booking would be flagged and I would not be able to rebook the exact same cruise I was cancelling. So, I stayed with what I had.

I might be wrong(wouldn´t be the first time), but I think that with the wow sale you got a reduced deposit and some OBC for booking during this sale, however these bookings couldn´t be combined with any other like stockholder, C&A, etc.

Now I would guess that you could just change your current booking into a regular one, with paying additional deposit and dropping the wow sale OBC and get your stockholder and C&A discounts applied. This way you wouldn´t risk loosing your cabins by cancel and rebook.

Of course this way you wouldn´t get the OBC for booking onboard, but you would still come out ahead without risking anything and the decision to be made would be are those aft. cabins worth the lost $100 OBC for booking onboard.

I´d call C&A and see if this is a possibility.

As for the people talking about red flagging cancellations and re-booking of the same cruise. I´ve heard about this before as well, but always in connection with getting price reductions that were advertised as for new bookings only. This is not the case here. The OP is not trying to cancel and rebook to get a price reduction that´s for new bookings only.

Of course this opens another question for the OP to consider - is the price for the cruise still the same? Because if it has gone up you would have to pay the actual price and this might not be worth the hassle.

Happy sailings to you.

I agree with you very often when posting about the cruise line policies and how people abusing the system spoiling it for everybody.

However I don´t think there´s any abuse or scam of the system in this case. Even though RCCL is cutting back majorly on the perks given they still give you the choice of getting the best perk available.

The ability to cancel without penalty prior to final payment is not an RCCL perk, this is something industry wide done and RCCL wouldn´t do good to touch this with other lines not doing the same.

Having said all this I tell you I´m well aware that in many countries all over it´s unusual to not loose your deposit when cancelling.

I never understood why the travel industry would even do this as I can only see disadvantages for the cruise line.

- They have to honor price drops as otherwise people cancel and rebook without penalty.

- People can book several cruises and / or cabins just to make the decision where to go later (sure they have to give deposits for it)

- With the above they end up regurlary with quite a number of open cabins around due date and the need to sell these at a much lower price and if not doing this during special "new bookings only" sales risking to lower the price for many others if they catch the price drop.

If you take all this into consideratio you could even say that looking for price drops is scamming/abusing the system because you couldn´t do this if the deposit was non-refundable.

Being from Europe I know what I´m talking about because we don´t get all these advantages like you in the US. Booking any travel over here puts me into penalty right away.

I know there have been reports from some that have gotten price drops honored over here by RCCL lately, but I´m sure it´s only because of the pressure as they do this for US pax. If they eliminate it in the US it´ll be gone here as well.

Forevercruising1, I don't think that what you are trying to do is wrong at all. There was a long thread on here a couple of days ago with many people that are going to try to get all their combinable benefits before 12/31/08. I just see them as perks for frequent cruisers, shareholders, those that book onboard etc.

That being said I did this one time also. We had a reseveration for an aft cabin, I went on a cruise and made a Next Cruise booking. I came home and on the same phone call with C and A made a second reservation and at the same time canelled the one I had and transferred that aft cabin to the new one. Was I just lucky with my timing, I guess so according to what I have read here.

Was that scamming the system to get my $100 OBC??? OPPPS!!!!:eek:

PS I should ask that my original booking was not made during any sales events, it was just a regular booking.

We did this through a loyalty ambassador while on ship. We had a particular cabin we wanted, so we booked the cruise prior to sailing. However, in order to receive the $100 obc we asked her to cancel and rebook the same cabin - which she did without any problems.

Yes, I read your post very carefully; that is why I stated: You make it sound like I am trying to "scam" the system.

Yes, well aware. . .and, thank you, RCCL...and Carnival...and NCL...and Windjammer...and HAL, for that option, although I have never voluntarily utilized it. (I was "forced" to take one refund, from NCL, when the Norway was put out of commission due to her boiler explosion.)

No action has been taken and it will likely never be taken. I have no problem keeping what I currently have; I was simply asking for other viewpoints from cruisers who might have had a similar situation.

Also, to quell your inclination to believe that I am a chronic "canceler" (or soon will be), this is the first time, out of 14 cruises, that I have even considered canceling a booking and getting a refund, for any reason.

It is unfortunate that your focus has been to cast doubt on my character, rather than to discuss the situation objectively.

And to you, my fellow Cruise Critic.

To the OP

# 1 You are are free to do as you please. You are doing nothing wrong.

# 2 Do not try and argue with the person who is challenging you. It is not worth it.

Believe me.

Archived