What do you do with valuables on shore excursions?

riderfan89

This may seem like a silly question, but we are newbies (hence the post on this forum). We are planning to book shore excursions through Carnival - some of which involve snorkeling and such. What do you do with your valuables (credit card, cash, etc.) while you're in the water?? Is there typically lockers or something available?

On excursions, there is a vehicle you came in---you can leave your stuff there--it'll be perfectly fine.

Never take alot of stuff with you, tho. Leave the creditcard that is attached to your ship's account in your safe. Bring a different card for purchases ashore. Only bring as much cash as you thing you may need--never bring all of it! Don't bring a credit card if there will be no place to use it (as on many excursions!!!)

On excursions, there is a vehicle you came in---you can leave your stuff there--it'll be perfectly fine.

Never take alot of stuff with you, tho. Leave the creditcard that is attached to your ship's account in your safe. Bring a different card for purchases ashore. Only bring as much cash as you thing you may need--never bring all of it! Don't bring a credit card if there will be no place to use it (as on many excursions!!!)

Yes, we won't be bringing much. Still trying to decide on the hotly contested subject of bringing passports ashore.

You might want to make copies of the front page of the passport, the one with your picture and the passport number on it, and carry that with you instead of the actual passport. This what we started doing years ago just in case. From what I have read this in combination with your driver's license will usually be enough to identify you as a US citizen. That can get you in contact with US state dept employees in an emergency.

Have a great next cruise.

You might want to make copies of the front page of the passport, the one with your picture and the passport number on it, and carry that with you instead of the actual passport. This what we started doing years ago just in case. From what I have read this in combination with your driver's license will usually be enough to identify you as a US citizen. That can get you in contact with US state dept employees in an emergency.

Have a great next cruise.

Thanks! We're actually Canadian citizens, so that adds another layer. We will likely take our passports with us. I'm looking into some waterproof passport wallets. Anyone have experience with those?

On the cruises I've been on, the ship kept our passport, I didn't have to bring it ashore but I brought ship ID, driver license, credit card and passport copy.

I don't do water extensive excursions but a small waterproof wallet/keychain seems like a very good idea for these essential documents.

I'm from Canada as well. All we bring along with us when we go off the ship is our ship ID, and our drivers license since it has our picture on it, as well as abit of cash or credit card if we are doing abit of shopping later (as mentioned above - some don't take credit cards - and with cash you can barter as well).

We leave our passports onboard in the safe in our stateroom. Good idea tho' about making a copy of your passport to bring with you just incase - but we've never done that (have been on 10 cruises).

Have a good time on your upcoming cruise Riderfan89! And no question is ever silly - so don't worry about asking! I still learn new things about cruising from time to time on the board here! <lol>

There are waterproof containers specifically to use on a beach to keep your cards, ID and money in while in the water. We always take a passport photocopy off the ship. Never the original even if they have not been embargoed by the ship which is becoming more common.

we use a "travel safe" -

travel_safe_100_clip_image002_0000.jpg

I got it from http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/travel_safe_100.html

I did change the lock to one with a combination, so we don't have to keep up with a key.

We attach it to a bar on the boat during snorkel excursions, to a lounge chair or up in the umbrella on the beach, we've used it in hotels with no safe, and put the gps and i-pod in it and hook to the OMG :eek: bar in my car and can leave the top down.

• 4 weeks later...

on our last camping trip we went out in canoes and put our keys and wallets etc in a ziplock bag. One boat overturned (shallow water thankfully) and the bag's seal was not enough to prevent everything from being completely soaked. We were just glad we left our cell phones locked in the car.

Archived