Hotel recommendations Tampa

atm55

We stayed at the Marriott Waterside. Beautiful hotel and we had a balcony ( all rooms may have balconies, I just don't remember :o). Very close to pier. We had our vehicle so I don't know if they shuttled or not. Walking distance to a publix to pick up snacks and stuff. The trolly is right outside the front door. We would stay there again.

A newer option is the Embassy Suite. Its across the street from the Marriot Waterside. And the Westin on Harbour Island is also right there. All three are only a few blocks from the cruise ship docks. Those three are the closest.

Also in Downtown is the Hyatt, the Sheraton Riverwalk and the Residence Inn courtyard.

I've not stayed in any of them - but out of town employees visiting our office have used them all. Probably the least favorite is the Sheraton (older rooms). All are within a few minutes to the docks and all have access to the Trolley.

Good luck.

I'm arriving in Tampa the day before my cruise and was wondering if anyone could recommend a hotel there. Thanks.

In reading the responses I must agree with everyone The Channelside area is the place to stay. It is an area that is growning with services I am not sure when you are coming in,and what you want to do, There is the NHL take the trolley in to ybor city or just stay in the area ang Chill !!!

Thanks to everyone for all your input - it is very helpful. I will be traveling in December 08 - I'll only have the morning in Tampa before boarding so I just want to stay in the area. My question - I purchased ground transportation through the RCL and now am wondering if it's really necessary or is there a shuttle or trolley I could use. Or is the trolley just for sightseeing?

Thanks to everyone for all your input - it is very helpful. I will be traveling in December 08 - I'll only have the morning in Tampa before boarding so I just want to stay in the area. My question - I purchased ground transportation through the RCL and now am wondering if it's really necessary or is there a shuttle or trolley I could use. Or is the trolley just for sightseeing?

No need...you have the trolley that runs very frequent through the day, or it's an easy 10 minute walk right down the street....just head to the aquarium....you will most likely walk right there the night you stay as it's where all the restaurants and entertainment are.

I am really confused with so many of the same hotels but different locations that I was wondering if anyone would like to offer their advice. I'll list the hotel and price and please tell me which you think is worth the money. Thanks.

Tampa Marriott Waterside $159

Grand Hyatt Tampa Westshore $109

The Westin Tampa Harbour Island $99

Embassy Suites Tampa Airport/Westshore $82.49

I would like to be close to the ship docks rather than downtown.

I am really confused with so many of the same hotels but different locations that I was wondering if anyone would like to offer their advice. I'll list the hotel and price and please tell me which you think is worth the money. Thanks.

Tampa Marriot Waterside is the one you want....here is a map to show how close it is...if you click on satellite image you can see the ship....also if you zoom in you will see the trolley tracks right in front of the hotel and the circular rotunda right to the left....that is where you can get on the trolley:

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS294&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=tampa+marriot+waterside&fb=1&cid=0,0,642343818813279063&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

BTW...that ship you see is Carnival.....RCCL will be right past it on the other side of the Aquarium which you can also see right next to the Carnival ship....RCCL ship is just a couple minutes walk from Carnival. The trolley will stop right in front of both terminals.

The port is in downtown Tampa.

The port is in downtown Tampa.

Well kind of....technically the area where the cruise ships are is called Channelside which is next to downtown Tampa. You wouldn't be able to walk if you stayed in a hotel in downtown Tampa....they also don't run the trolley in Downtown Tampa.....downtown Tampa is really just business and buildings....not much in walking distance.

I agree that the Marriot is a nice place - but for one night I'd take the Hyatt or the Westin.(Or the embassy across the street. That embassy suites has only been open about a year). With the savings you can easily pay for a taxi. (The ride is probably less than a mile - it can't cost very much. :cool:)

The airport embassy suite is NOT the right hotel. The airport is a couple of miles (and many long minutes in traffic) away from the port.

Downtown Tampa has more than one trolley line. You can make a connection if you need to, but if you stay at the Marriot or the Embassy, the red line- to Ybor City- is the one that goes by the ports. There is a little cupola called the "Southern Transportation Plaza right outside the front of the Embassy Suites where you get on the Trolley. It has a couple of stops in the Channel district, one of which is close to the RCCL cruise terminal.

Oh - and PS - the Trolley is not free. I think the one time fee is still $2.00. which means that for two of you - the cost is $4.00. Plus - you'll be hauling your own luggage on and off. Plus, you have to get to the Trolley station and wait for the Trolley to appear.

A taxi comes right to the door of your hotel - and while not exactly a personal butler service - they usually help you with your bag!:p

IMHO - a taxi would be much easier.

I agree that the Marriot is a nice place - but for one night I'd take the Hyatt or the Westin.(Or the embassy across the street. That embassy suites has only been open about a year). With the savings you can easily pay for a taxi. (The ride is probably less than a mile - it can't cost very much. :cool:)

The airport embassy suite is NOT the right hotel. The airport is a couple of miles (and many long minutes in traffic) away from the port.

Downtown Tampa has more than one trolley line. You can make a connection if you need to, but if you stay at the Marriot or the Embassy, the red line- to Ybor City- is the one that goes by the ports. There is a little cupola called the "Southern Transportation Plaza right outside the front of the Embassy Suites where you get on the Trolley. It has a couple of stops in the Channel district, one of which is close to the RCCL cruise terminal.

We are probably confusing things using the word trolley ...what we are speaking of is actually called a streetcar and extends from the Tampa Convention Center to Ybor City. Here is a map of both but it's the streetcar you are looking at taking:

http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/about/maps/index.htm

Tampa Marriot Waterside is the one you want....here is a map to show how close it is...if you click on satellite image you can see the ship....also if you zoom in you will see the trolley tracks right in front of the hotel and the circular rotunda right to the left....that is where you can get on the trolley:

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS294&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=tampa+marriot+waterside&fb=1&cid=0,0,642343818813279063&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

This is a carnival ship on this view. The RCCL docks just around the corner from this and the trolley goes right past. Get off at the Aquarium.

Hi ATM55,

I should have posted this before. And no - I don't have any interest or ownership in this hotel - I just see it outside my office window. :p. I've been inside both this and the Marriot for lunch and both are quite nice.

Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center

513 South Florida Avenue, Tampa, Florida, United States 33602

Tel: 1-813-769-8300 Fax: 1-813-769-8310

Enjoy your cruise! (I leave on mine out of Miami on 11/28!):D

Archived