Help with a discount question!!!!!!!

chukeee

Hi, we are booked for our third cruise in Jan. and are so looking forward to it.I read these posts everyday and have learned so much from all of you. Thankyou! I am very confused about something and I apologize in advance if this question has been answered a million times before! The past two cruises we have been in a group as we are going to be this time. I booked through a TA, through a friend who "organizes" the trip for a group of family, friends and co-workers. Here's in my question...... We booked a balcony and I convinced another 5 of our friends to go which added 6 additional cabins to the group. Since we all seem to discuss this cruise every moment we are together, I happen to know that the "new" cruisers are paying the same for their balcony (same class) as I am . I know that we are all getting a group discount but does this mean I don't get a past guess discount? I am not being greedy here and am happy with the price I got. I have read on here before about some discounts being combined and some not. I basically am just trying to understand this and it you lose one discount because you are receiving another, then that is ok and I'm still happy to be cruisin!!! However I felt it didn't hurt to ask. Thanks, Deb

If you are booking everyone as a Group receiving a Group booking rate you're not entitled to any of the Past Guest, Residency, 55+ rates or to any price drops, presumably because your group booking is getting a super low rate hopefully with some perks. This is a different booking "arrangement" than individual bookings that ARE subject to these promos. Usually the Group Rate is better than the Past Guest rate. ken

Thanks for trying to clear that up for me. that being said, I might just have to rethink the group booking for a 2010 Hawaii cruise. I just might be better off to book it on my own, take the past guest discount and watch for price drops, free upgrades, obcs. etc. What do you think?

anyhow, I'm just glad to be cruisin..

Not sure but I think the TA may be getting a better rate and splitting it up among all the cabins. (I was under the impression that when booking more than 5 cabins, one would be free.) So you actually get a greater discount when booking as a group than with PP or 55+ rates.

I am sure some of the TA's on this board may correct me if wrong.

Thanks for trying to clear that up for me. that being said, I might just have to rethink the group booking for a 2010 Hawaii cruise. I just might be better off to book it on my own, take the past guest discount and watch for price drops, free upgrades, obcs. etc. What do you think?

Eh, I doubt it. There isn't a PG discount on every cruise, and many times if there is, it's not all that great... if you factor the group discount in with the amenities, the group rate usually comes out better...

chukeee- Thwere are actually two ":Group Rates":

(1) is Carnivals "book 16 people into 8 cabins" (minimum) and get 1 berth (not cabin) free which goes to the organizer or which the group splits.

(2) the Group Cabins that TA's can book and hold at a lower group rate (where you are not actually part of a group except for discount) and involves "points" that the group can split up as OBC, gifts, etc. Generally the only rate that beats this is the Military Rate. If you book with a Past Guest rate that also involves several deck upgrades at time of booking (4A to 4D or 6A to 6C is not unusual), and then watch for Price Drops, you can probably do better than the Group Rate.

ken

I do a lot of group bookings and I can tell you it would be best to stick with the group.

The PG discount you will get will not be better than the group rate you are getting. Add in the OBC or ammenities that you are getting with the group, and the free berth and there is no comparison.

We qualify for PG and military and our group rates always beat both.

Someone was asking about the free berth.

Usually you get 1 free berth on your 16th person (8 cabins) same category

Right now there is a special where you can book your group and get 1 /10.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chukeee..:D I was a bit bored and reading some older posts and ran across this one and thought I would offer my 2 cents worth.. I assume that being in Corrections that you are Union ? Go to Yahoo and type in "Union Plus" Then click on it as they push credit cards and so on. It will be a RED page. Scroll down the left side and find travel and then follow that to cruise discounts. THEY GIVE NICE UNION Discounts if your Union is connected to AFL-CIO Such as AFSCME Union. These discounts are with NCL (Remember I mentioned I am going on NCL in April before I going on the Triumph ;)) For ALL 2009 sailings to Hawaii on the "PRIDE OF AMERICA" NCL is Giving a 30% Discount for all AFL-CIO Union members ! Something to look into before you book Hawaii ! Just one brother trying to help out another.. Be safe..:)..

Archived