PG Cell Service in FP

baf10

Does anyone know if the ship has cell service while it is in FP? I read somewhere that it does not work while they are in FP. I know the ship has the service the question is if it used in FP.

It would be a great way to get blackberry messages as they do not have blackberry working in FP.

I also read that they have improved the internet speed. Can anyone confirm if this is true.

I just booked 6/20 sailing.

Thanks

My husband's cell phone did not work. We had enough days with Regent to have 1 hr free international calls, but getting a line to go through was next to impossible. We tried for an hour to call my son on his birthday--finally got it to connect.

Internet speed was very slow on our late September 2008 cruise. It usually took 2-3 minutes to connect and logon, all on your dime. Loading pages took another 30 secs to a minute.

We mentioned the connection speed on our mid cruise comment card and asked if there was anywhere on the ship that had better connections, as we used it in La Palette or on the 5th deck in the lounge. They did reply, but the response acknowledged the slow connection, but not any kind of accomodation in cost to make up for the connection speed.

It was especially frustrating for us because we were 2 nights (as repeat customers) away from free Internet service when we boarded for a 14 day cruise. I didn't like paying such a high price for a service I get in the states for the price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks. It must be a good revenue point for them.

Time Plan #1: $0.25 per minute - 250 minutes for $62.50

Time Plan #2: $0.35 per minute - 100 minutes for $35

Pay As You Go: $0.55 per minute

One-Time Account Activation Fee _ $3.95 (Applies to all users on first login only)

Please note that a Time Plan cannot be used on more than one computer at the same time.

My T Mobile phone worked fine in Tahiti, just be careful you hook up to the shore tower (cheaper) and not the ship's service. You will not get your BB emails. I have a Curve, and you can log on the ship's wireless and download your messages that way, and also make calls, but your phone has to work on VOIP.

When you connected your phone to the ships wireless I assume you would be paying 25 or 35c a minute is that correct? Also when you connected did your phone say UMA? Did you make any calls from your cell phone when it was connected to the wireless of the ship? I have a 8120.

If the ship does have cell sevice why were you not able to get your bb messages that way? It is just GSM and not GPRS?

Thanks for yur help.

My T Mobile phone worked fine in Tahiti, just be careful you hook up to the shore tower (cheaper) and not the ship's service. You will not get your BB emails. I have a Curve, and you can log on the ship's wireless and download your messages that way, and also make calls, but your phone has to work on VOIP.

Yes, it counted in my ship's wireless minutes, and I am sure you can make calls that way, although I did not try. I am not much of a phone talker on vacation. I believe my son did make a couple calls and they were not charged on my mobile bill. Yes, the phone says UMA when you are connected, just as if you were hooked up to a wireless network in a hotel. You have to scan for the network, attach to it, open the internet, log into the Regent network using your password, then your messages will download and you can make calls. I am not sure why the messages would not download over the land network, but the guy in the computer room told me there is no data transmission on the Tahiti networks.

about hooking up to the shore tower? I don't get emails, but I might want to make a call. I usually rent a computer for emails and have it brought to the suite? I guess I should get technologically more advanced! LOL

Have you rented a computer on Regent? I've never heard of this before. In terms of calls, if I had to depend on a cell (or other) telephones while on vacation. . . I just wouldn't go (except for emergencies of course). I keep in touch with the world on my terms -- the internet in the middle of the night. If there is no signal (which happened several times in Alaska), no big deal.

If you look back to the early part of this century (2000, 2001, etc.), this would not have been a topic for conversation. Most of us had children, jobs (that we thought couldn't do without us). . . . but, a vacation is a vacation. Even back then ships had communication that could be used when necessary.

I don't expect those of you who live with electronics attached to you 24/7 to change your minds. . . perhaps, however, you'll think about having a few hours to yourself on this special cruise.:confused:

Thanks for your help. This sounds like the best option to get bb messages. How do you log into the regent network? Did you have to enter a specific web address or was it automatic?

This probably much quicker than downloading emails on a laptop or using their computers.

Its too bad they do not allow you to download bb messages over the cell service like I do on all other cruise lines for almost no cost (just the bb roaming charge per day)

Yes there is no GPRS service in Tahiti so no BB.

Yes, it counted in my ship's wireless minutes, and I am sure you can make calls that way, although I did not try. I am not much of a phone talker on vacation. I believe my son did make a couple calls and they were not charged on my mobile bill. Yes, the phone says UMA when you are connected, just as if you were hooked up to a wireless network in a hotel. You have to scan for the network, attach to it, open the internet, log into the Regent network using your password, then your messages will download and you can make calls. I am not sure why the messages would not download over the land network, but the guy in the computer room told me there is no data transmission on the Tahiti networks.

We bought a used unlocked cell phone and a VINI card in Tahiti; this gave us local cell service. It worked everywhere while on our cruise, and allowed us to make local calls to restaurants, car rental etc. Incoming calls on this phone were free, so I set up our home phone for international servioce that was about $1 per minute. I would call home and have our kids call us back. It was great, we had reception everywhere we went and I knew our family could contact us if needed.

I don't remember the log in, but it is the page where you log in on the ship's computer. I don't think it is a question of Regent allowing you, I have been able to get messages fine on their ships in other places, I think it is Tahiti. I was impressed that I could make VOIP calls using the wireless network and save money that way if I had wanted to do so. Also, it only takes a minute to download the messages, so it is cheap. It was MUCH faster for me to get the messages that way than to use the computer to go to my office's remote log in.

Thanks for your help. This sounds like the best option to get bb messages. How do you log into the regent network? Did you have to enter a specific web address or was it automatic?

This probably much quicker than downloading emails on a laptop or using their computers.

Its too bad they do not allow you to download bb messages over the cell service like I do on all other cruise lines for almost no cost (just the bb roaming charge per day)

Yes there is no GPRS service in Tahiti so no BB.

Have you rented a computer on Regent? I've never heard of this before. In terms of calls, if I had to depend on a cell (or other) telephones while on vacation. . . I just wouldn't go (except for emergencies of course). I keep in touch with the world on my terms -- the internet in the middle of the night. If there is no signal (which happened several times in Alaska), no big deal.

I don't expect those of you who live with electronics attached to you 24/7 to change your minds. . . perhaps, however, you'll think about having a few hours to yourself on this special cruise.:confused:

It's not always so simple as you try to make it out to be. Just last month, we had to leave the PG a week early to get back home because of an emergency at our office. It was extremely important to us to be able to be reached so I completely understand where the OP is coming from.

The PG does not, I repeat, does not have a way for passengers to be contacted day or night. Remember your night there will be during the day back home so if it is vital that you be contacted 24/7 there is simply no way to do it other than your own cell phone. I, thankfully, decided to have a back up plan for being contacted 24/7 by putting an international calling and text plan on my IPhone. I was able to send and receive texts everywhere we were. Not so with regular phone service. I was unable to call out a few times, but could always text. Our emergency was received via text at 2:30 am. We were able to take immediate action in order to stave off some problems.

It's not always so simple as you try to make it out to be. Just last month, we had to leave the PG a week early to get back home because of an emergency at our office. It was extremely important to us to be able to be reached so I completely understand where the OP is coming from.

The PG does not, I repeat, does not have a way for passengers to be contacted day or night. Remember your night there will be during the day back home so if it is vital that you be contacted 24/7 there is simply no way to do it other than your own cell phone. I, thankfully, decided to have a back up plan for being contacted 24/7 by putting an international calling and text plan on my IPhone. I was able to send and receive texts everywhere we were. Not so with regular phone service. I was unable to call out a few times, but could always text. Our emergency was received via text at 2:30 am. We were able to take immediate action in order to stave off some problems.

I did read of the problems you had trying to get a flight back to the states -- this should not have happened. In my opinion, your situation comes under the category of "emergency". There should 24/7 contact with the PG (if it is within their control -- I suspect that there are places in the world where there is no communication at all). My comments above were more about people expecting to have the same type of cell phone service in French Polynesia as they do in the states.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, we lost all contact with the rest of the U.S. in Alaska only 5 months ago (more than one time). If this can happen in the United States, it should be expected in the remote parts of the world. Still, the PG should have the latest and best communication equipment available for emergencies.

Truly hope the situation you had to return home for has resolved itself.:)

Archived