Just off NCL Star Mexican Riviera Cruise

FormulaRacer

Just returned from NCL Star Mexican Riviera 7 day cruise from L.A. I was on the Star 4 years ago. Ship is in GREAT shape. Very well maintained. Service was totally IMPECCABLE. Food was very good to excellent, and overall satisfaction scores a solid 10 out of scale of 10. This ship still delivers great value for the first time or repeat cruiser. Specialty restaurants were very good, as well as main dining areas. Accomodations were the best (Vista Garden Villa #14500) and service was outstanding and all crew members that we were involved with had a since of pride working on this ship unseen on other NCL ships that we sailed including the Jewel and Pearl.

I am available to answer any questions that you might have regarding this ship or cruise.

After sailing many NCL cruises on their top of the line ships, this NCL Star cruise was "the best" for the overall measurement of service to the cruiser.

For us NCL "Freestyle" is the only way to go.....took us 20 minutes to go thru registration and board the Star. Took us 10 minutes to get off the ship thru Customs.

NCL certainly has the embarkation and disembarkation down to science and ease for the cruiser.

We highly recomend this cruise for anyone considering a trip from L.A. down the Mexican Coast to Cabo San Lucas, Matzalan, and Puerto Vallarta.

If NCL can deliver the "service from the staff" as we have seen on this cruise, to other ships.... NCL could easily emerge as the industry leader in the cruise industry, for outstanding value and service to the cruiser.

NCL Latitudes Platinum

Richard & Mary

FormulaRacer & OceanDreaming2

Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

We love NCL !!!

Just returned from NCL Star Mexican Riviera 7 day cruise from L.A. I was on the Star 4 years ago. Ship is in GREAT shape. Very well maintained. Service was totally IMPECCABLE. Food was very good to excellent, and overall satisfaction scores a solid 10 out of scale of 10. This ship still delivers great value for the first time or repeat cruiser. Specialty restaurants were very good, as well as main dining areas. Accomodations were the best (Vista Garden Villa #14500) and service was outstanding and all crew members that we were involved with had a since of pride working on this ship unseen on other NCL ships that we sailed including the Jewel and Pearl.

I am available to answer any questions that you might have regarding this ship or cruise.

After sailing many NCL cruises on their top of the line ships, this NCL Star cruise was "the best" for the overall measurement of service to the cruiser.

For us NCL "Freestyle" is the only way to go.....took us 20 minutes to go thru registration and board the Star. Took us 10 minutes to get off the ship thru Customs.

NCL certainly has the embarkation and disembarkation down to science and ease for the cruiser.

We highly recomend this cruise for anyone considering a trip from L.A. down the Mexican Coast to Cabo San Lucas, Matzalan, and Puerto Vallarta.

If NCL can deliver the "service from the staff" as we have seen on this cruise, to other ships.... NCL could easily emerge as the industry leader in the cruise industry, for outstanding value and service to the cruiser.

NCL Latitudes Platinum

Richard & Mary

FormulaRacer & OceanDreaming2

Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

We love NCL !!!

Saw your GV upsell at another thread and left some questions, but I'll restate them here. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. We will soon be in 14000 (sad to say, no upsell) and wonder about the perks, how many people were in the GV with you? Limo? Who is the butler and did he impress? We are really looking forward to a week of luxury!

Since the guys negotiated an upsell once the ship was underway, no limo. John was our butler and did an outstanding job. We shared the GV with another couple, so the middle suite was empty. Ricardo and Roberto were the stewards and were always smiling and helpful - in some ways more so than John.

Since the guys negotiated an upsell once the ship was underway, no limo. John was our butler and did an outstanding job. We shared the GV with another couple, so the middle suite was empty. Ricardo and Roberto were the stewards and were always smiling and helpful - in some ways more so than John.

So, two stewards - (I know the butler isn't covered by the $10 daily service charge) what about the stewards? We have heard $10/per person per day for the butler is reasonable? Do you agree?

Reference the Garden Villa's on the NCL Star........

There are 2 Garden Villa's on the Star...Horizon and Vista (#14500..#14502...#14506) We had the Vista. Each Garden Villa has a large living room, with sofa, 3 large chairs, grand piano, wet bar, desk, computer, telephones and 3 bedrooms. Of the 3 bedrooms, 2 are master suites and one is the same as a Penthouse Suite. They are very nice. There are two entrances into the Villas. The are totally secure and offer the ultimate of privacy and class. Since there was 2 adult couples, each of us occupied a master suite. The forward master suite has a large bathroom that actually looks out over the swimming pool. There is plenty of privacy. The rear master suite has a large sliding door that exits to the large rear patio with tables, gazebo, hot tub and sauna, and leads to an upper deck (15). The upper deck is split between the 2 Garden Villas and covers about 1200+ sq ft. for each Villa. The upper decks are for the Villas only...no access from other cruisers. You could entertain 100 people easily on the upper deck. Mary and I took the rear master suite. Each suite and penthouse bedroom has 3 very large floor to ceiling tinted windows with automatic wood blinds that retract automatically up and down. Then there are curtains that can be closed over the blinds. The interior lighting options are fantastic with all electronic lighting and dimmers of several choices. Artwork decks the hallways with art type lighting. The bathrooms are unbeliveably beautiful with a clear glass round shower stall, marble floors and jacuzzi tubs. There is a large walk in closet leading from the master suite to the bath that is bigger than any household closet. Great for the ladies. Each master suite has 2 safes in the rooms. Each master suite has it owns portable telephone and television. The new beds are foam topped beds that are fantastic. The pillows are to die for.

We had a butler and room steward and assistant room steward, as one steward could not effectively handle each Villa. We were charged the $10.00 room charge per person per day. I STRONGLY feel that if you use the Butler service he definately deserves an extra gratuity which we paid him an extra $200.00 for his services, in additon to the standard daily room charges. We also gave the room steward and assistant additional compensation equal to the Butler. We also gave our personal concierge additonal compensation. Since you are in the best of the best, you will receive the ultimate of service, and will be highly recoginzed on the ship. You have the privilege of eating in your Garden Villa dining room served and set up by the butler. It is grand treatment. I highly suggest that you use the services offered by the Butler, Concierge and room stewards. The room stewards will do anything that you ask. These staff members are assigned exclusively to the Villa and are very professional and are used to dealing with upper scale cruisers.

We had a Garden Villa party for the cruise critic members and additonal guests that we made friends with. About 30-35 people. Between the Butler, Concierge and room stewards, we selected the drinks and NCL provided the professional catering and services of the butler. It was truly top notch, first class all the way. The butler set everything up and when we returned from dinner, the Garden Villa was completely cleaned up. We did nothing.

The Garden Villas are the best of the best, If you're not a celebrity or royalty, you will feel like royalty. I suggest that anyone considering going this way have a minimum of 4 adults or minimum of 6 adults to share the costs and rooms. I think the Villa for just 2 people is overkill...why leave 2 bedrooms ....Penthouse and master suite empty/unoccupied. You will also be able to dine at Cagney's for both breakfast and lunches. These perks are also offered to cruisers who occupy the suites. The service is the ultimate at Cagneys. We ate there many time for both breakfast and lunch. It was an extra perk for the Garden Villa guests.

Since the Garden Villa was not booked or occupied prior to sailing, this was a chance of a lifetime of cruising to be able to secure this Villa. It was the best cruise we ever took, as we are Platinium NCL Latitudes cruisers. We have been on the Jewel and Pearl ( 3 times in 2007 for the Pearl) and this NCL Star cruise topped them all. The overall quality of service from ALL staff members was impeccable, and treatment from the executive staff was over the top. We dined with the Hotel Manager, we dined with the Food & Beverage Manager, both outstanding gentlemen, and very hospitable men. The Food & Beverage Mgr. arranged a private tour of the galley with the executive chief (Peter Dcosta) guiding us thru. Bob, our other party member in the Villa, is the owner of a 32 unit restaurant chain, so he had an interest in the food operations.

Any cruise is what you make it. Having the Garden Villa was a great start. Adding in a party for cruise critic members in the Villa was great, and getting to know the executive staff on a one on one basis was absolutely terrific. The treatment was royal, and this is one cruise we will NEVER forget.

Hopefully this information helps when considering the Garden Villa. We have numerous photos and can forward them to anyone who has an interest in the securing the Garden Villas on future cruises on the NCL Star.

Is Ricky still the Cruise Director?

We were on the Star this summer to Alaska and loved him!

When we were on the DREAM last month, Denny, the cruise director from the DREAM told me that Ricky jumped ship and that he, Denny, will be on the STAR. Ricky jumped ship and is with Royal Caribbean.

Cruise Director was Paul Baya, who left for a vacation at the end of our cruise. He was very proferssional and we had been on board with Paul previously. He is a top notch guy.

I think Paul is the best CD ever, I know some like Ricky but we had him on the Star last fall and couldn't stand him. Just shows everyone how so many things are subjective huh?

Nita

I think Paul is the best CD ever, I know some like Ricky but we had him on the Star last fall and couldn't stand him. Just shows everyone how so many things are subjective huh?

Nita

Did I miss something? What is Ricky's last name? Thanks.

coffeebean

HLP:

Did not do the SoHo Jazz Brunch...(Cost is $15.00) but did listen to the same Jazz band in the main Atrium. The SoHo dining room is very comtempory and very nice.

You can find the Freestyle Daily on another post somewhere on this site.

Soho was my favorite restaurant on the ship I think, we also loved Endless Summer.

Nita

Did I miss something? What is Ricky's last name? Thanks.

coffeebean

I don't remember, I wish I did, maybe someone else will know..It does seem we all have our favorites..We had an English gal on the Sun about 3 years ago, she was awful in my dds and my opinion, but I think many have talked about how great she is. Of course it may not be the same person I don't know.

I do admit, the CD makes little difference to me, if he/she is good that makes the cruise even more perfect, if not so good, we usually just forget all about them..

NIta

Reference the Garden Villa's on the NCL Star........

There are 2 Garden Villa's on the Star...Horizon and Vista (#14500..#14502...#14506) We had the Vista. Each Garden Villa has a large living room, with sofa, 3 large chairs, grand piano, wet bar, desk, computer, telephones and 3 bedrooms. Of the 3 bedrooms, 2 are master suites and one is the same as a Penthouse Suite. They are very nice. There are two entrances into the Villas. The are totally secure and offer the ultimate of privacy and class. Since there was 2 adult couples, each of us occupied a master suite. The forward master suite has a large bathroom that actually looks out over the swimming pool. There is plenty of privacy. The rear master suite has a large sliding door that exits to the large rear patio with tables, gazebo, hot tub and sauna, and leads to an upper deck (15). The upper deck is split between the 2 Garden Villas and covers about 1200+ sq ft. for each Villa. The upper decks are for the Villas only...no access from other cruisers. You could entertain 100 people easily on the upper deck. Mary and I took the rear master suite. Each suite and penthouse bedroom has 3 very large floor to ceiling tinted windows with automatic wood blinds that retract automatically up and down. Then there are curtains that can be closed over the blinds. The interior lighting options are fantastic with all electronic lighting and dimmers of several choices. Artwork decks the hallways with art type lighting. The bathrooms are unbeliveably beautiful with a clear glass round shower stall, marble floors and jacuzzi tubs. There is a large walk in closet leading from the master suite to the bath that is bigger than any household closet. Great for the ladies. Each master suite has 2 safes in the rooms. Each master suite has it owns portable telephone and television. The new beds are foam topped beds that are fantastic. The pillows are to die for.

We had a butler and room steward and assistant room steward, as one steward could not effectively handle each Villa. We were charged the $10.00 room charge per person per day. I STRONGLY feel that if you use the Butler service he definately deserves an extra gratuity which we paid him an extra $200.00 for his services, in additon to the standard daily room charges. We also gave the room steward and assistant additional compensation equal to the Butler. We also gave our personal concierge additonal compensation. Since you are in the best of the best, you will receive the ultimate of service, and will be highly recoginzed on the ship. You have the privilege of eating in your Garden Villa dining room served and set up by the butler. It is grand treatment. I highly suggest that you use the services offered by the Butler, Concierge and room stewards. The room stewards will do anything that you ask. These staff members are assigned exclusively to the Villa and are very professional and are used to dealing with upper scale cruisers.

We had a Garden Villa party for the cruise critic members and additonal guests that we made friends with. About 30-35 people. Between the Butler, Concierge and room stewards, we selected the drinks and NCL provided the professional catering and services of the butler. It was truly top notch, first class all the way. The butler set everything up and when we returned from dinner, the Garden Villa was completely cleaned up. We did nothing.

The Garden Villas are the best of the best, If you're not a celebrity or royalty, you will feel like royalty. I suggest that anyone considering going this way have a minimum of 4 adults or minimum of 6 adults to share the costs and rooms. I think the Villa for just 2 people is overkill...why leave 2 bedrooms ....Penthouse and master suite empty/unoccupied. You will also be able to dine at Cagney's for both breakfast and lunches. These perks are also offered to cruisers who occupy the suites. The service is the ultimate at Cagneys. We ate there many time for both breakfast and lunch. It was an extra perk for the Garden Villa guests.

Since the Garden Villa was not booked or occupied prior to sailing, this was a chance of a lifetime of cruising to be able to secure this Villa. It was the best cruise we ever took, as we are Platinium NCL Latitudes cruisers. We have been on the Jewel and Pearl ( 3 times in 2007 for the Pearl) and this NCL Star cruise topped them all. The overall quality of service from ALL staff members was impeccable, and treatment from the executive staff was over the top. We dined with the Hotel Manager, we dined with the Food & Beverage Manager, both outstanding gentlemen, and very hospitable men. The Food & Beverage Mgr. arranged a private tour of the galley with the executive chief (Peter Dcosta) guiding us thru. Bob, our other party member in the Villa, is the owner of a 32 unit restaurant chain, so he had an interest in the food operations.

Any cruise is what you make it. Having the Garden Villa was a great start. Adding in a party for cruise critic members in the Villa was great, and getting to know the executive staff on a one on one basis was absolutely terrific. The treatment was royal, and this is one cruise we will NEVER forget.

Hopefully this information helps when considering the Garden Villa. We have numerous photos and can forward them to anyone who has an interest in the securing the Garden Villas on future cruises on the NCL Star.

A wealth of information! Thank you for sharing! We think life is all about working hard and then spending all your spare time and money making memories! Sounds like you made some great ones!

I have got to say even though we have never been fortunate enough to stay in the Garden Villa (see the look of envy?? ), the Star is our favorite ship as well. We always feel like we are at home when we step aboard the Star. She is a wonderful ship.

PLEASE don't flame me for saying this, but I'm kind of glad Ricky Matthews is gone. Nice guy.. but his voice over and over on the announcements grated my nerves. It had the same effect on me as nails down a chalk board..ehhehehe.. Other than that, he is a great guy. I will miss our beloved Simone, the Concierge. I am keeping my fingers crossed she shows up as the Concierge on the Dawn by the time we sail on her next year. Simone is FANTASTIC.

To the OP, glad you had a great cruise and glad there is another Star lover out there like us.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived