Just off the Monarch - 14 November 2008

Virga

:)Thankyou for the wonderful review on the Monarch. My DW and I are going on a 4 night in Feb. I had heard that they did away with Johnny Rockets and replaced it with the Jade; is this correct? Is every thing in the Jade for $$$ it is free on the Mariner! Thanks again for your review!:):)

Thankyou for the wonderful review on the Monarch. My DW and I are going on a 4 night in Feb. I had heard that they did away with Johnny Rockets and replaced it with the Jade; is this correct? Is every thing in the Jade for $$$ it is free on the Mariner! Thanks again for your review!

Monarch has never had a Johnny Rocket's, so there was nothing to do away with.

There are two "Jades" on Monarch: the first is the Jade section of the Windjammer, Deck 11, all the way forward. On one side you will find some of the regular WJ offerings, and the other side offers some Asian-themed foods. That's the same concept as on the Mariner, and it's all included in your cruise fare.

Jade Sushi, on Deck 12, is a pay-by-what-you-eat sushi/tempura restaurant (I don't think they offer teriyaki unless they added that option in Florida). It's quite reasonably priced, and the quality is fair. It's a nice place to go for a quiet meal, as very few people seem to discover it on a short cruise.:)

I really liked the Monarch, this was my first time on a smaller ship and it was okay. I think that I would like to go out on her again.

One thing I must say was that the crew definitely made up for the size they were a lively bunch.

The rooms are small but very comfortable. I really cant say anything bad about the ship they seemed to be doing continuous maintenance and everything was really clean.

Thanks for a wonderful thought..............it was OK, and you would do it again.

The Monarch is small...............at somewhat over 70,000 tons.

What we enjoyed sailing...........not that many years ago........was a wonderful ship in the 20,000 ton class. Like the Pacific Princess.

Rick

Thanks for a wonderful thought..............it was OK, and you would do it again.

The Monarch is small...............at somewhat over 70,000 tons.

What we enjoyed sailing...........not that many years ago........was a wonderful ship in the 20,000 ton class. Like the Pacific Princess.

Rick

To each his own...no need to bash. I've talked to some friends of mine who have had such miserable times on cruises they've vowed never to step on one one again. One of my favorite expressions: "Different strokes for different folks."

OK, my scanner is giving me problems - I'm starting to hate Vista again. I took pictures (on my phone!) of the first day's compass, and am uploading them now. They aren't very good - but I suffered through the whole last Harry Potter like this, so interested folks might think it's worth it.

I'll upload the rest if anyone thinks it's worth the trouble:

http://www.thinkinggreener.com/images/compass1-1.jpg

http://www.thinkinggreener.com/images/compass1-2.jpg

http://www.thinkinggreener.com/images/compass1-3.jpg

http://www.thinkinggreener.com/images/compass1-4.jpg

OK, my scanner is giving me problems - I'm starting to hate Vista again. I took pictures (on my phone!) of the first day's compass, and am uploading them now. They aren't very good - but I suffered through the whole last Harry Potter like this, so interested folks might think it's worth it.

I'll upload the rest if anyone thinks it's worth the trouble:

http://www.thinkinggreener.com/images/compass1-1.jpg

http://www.thinkinggreener.com/images/compass1-2.jpg

http://www.thinkinggreener.com/images/compass1-3.jpg

http://www.thinkinggreener.com/images/compass1-4.jpg

That must've taken a while. Thanks so much for being so generous with your time. :)

I am sorry what's his name did not like my posts but I have only cruised on really large ships so the Monarch to me was a little small. I liked the ship but what I really liked the crew. This was the same thing that the reviewers said about it when it was in California. The crew was awesome.

As for the things I missed. The Solarium Pool -Like on the Brilliance I loved that.

The Card Room, Cards are only played in the library which was also small. On the Mariner you could always find people to play cards with in the Card/Game Room, the larger shopping area or Promenade.

What I found nice about the Monarch was the dining room. Because the ship is smaller the dining is more intimate. Also I like the pool deck and the abundance of towels that were always supplied for the chairs.

I am sorry what his name did not like my posts but I have only cruised really large ships so the Monarch to me was a little small. I liked the boat but I really liked the crew. This was the same thing that the reviews said about it when it was in California. The crew was awesome.

As for the things I missed. The Solarium Pool -Like on the Brilliance

As I said "To each his own." For some people on these boards if you say anything about your cruise saying it was less than perfect they'll pounce on you, I think your opinion is entirely understandable.

I am sorry what his name did not like my posts but I have only cruised really large ships so the Monarch to me was a little small. I liked the boat but I really liked the crew. This was the same thing that the reviews said about it when it was in California. The crew was awesome.

As for the things I missed. The Solarium Pool -Like on the Brilliance

I am sorry what's his name did not like my posts but I have only cruised on really large ships so the Monarch to me was a little small. I liked the ship but what I really liked the crew. This was the same thing that the reviewers said about it when it was in California. The crew was awesome.

As for the things I missed. The Solarium Pool -Like on the Brilliance I loved that.

The Card Room, Cards are only played in the library which was also small. On the Mariner you could always find people to play cards with in the Card/Game Room, the larger shopping area or Promenade.

What I found nice about the Monarch was the dining room. Because the ship is smaller the dining is more intimate. Also I like the pool deck and the abundance of towels that were always supplied for the chairs.

My ideal ship would be the Jewel with Monarch's crew working on her (I'd keep some of the Jewel folks plus poach a few from Radiance). Sailing from Los Angeles, of course!:)

My ideal ship would be the Jewel with Monarch's crew working on her (I'd keep some of the Jewel folks plus poach a few from Radiance). Sailing from Los Angeles, of course!:)

OMG Jean! :eek:

You just described the perfect cruise ship. :D

No wonder we had such a good time together.:)

Monarch has never had a Johnny Rocket's, so there was nothing to do away with.

There are two "Jades" on Monarch: the first is the Jade section of the Windjammer, Deck 11, all the way forward. On one side you will find some of the regular WJ offerings, and the other side offers some Asian-themed foods.

What is offered on this side? Is there ever any sushi?

I didn't see ANY sushi available anywhere but in the restaurant portion of Jade. That doesn't mean it wasn't available, though. The Jade side of WJ wasn't open most of the time we dropped through - we only caught it open one evening. No sushi that night, anyway.

The only free sushi will be served at the Platinum-Diamond party. Otherwise you'll have to pay an additional fee for it IME.

The offerings in the Jade section of the Windjammer were things like fried rice at breakfast and maybe a noodle dish. On formal night they had some Indian dishes, including some very good curry. In all my cruises on Monarch, I think I only got food from there on formal nights.:o

I didn't see ANY sushi available anywhere but in the restaurant portion of Jade. That doesn't mean it wasn't available, though. The Jade side of WJ wasn't open most of the time we dropped through - we only caught it open one evening. No sushi that night, anyway.

Well, I do thank you for your response. All the talk of Sushi, I had to eat sushi for lunch. I am not complaining by any means , just curious since this is my first RC cruise. I am excited o compare the two but either way i know I will have a wonderful time.

So glad to find this thread as well. We sail 2/13 for my DH's 40th birthday. He has no idea we are going. It will be the two of us and our 3 kids in connecting cabins. This will be our first RCCL cruise. I do have a question: right now we have requested late seating, which won't really be a problem with our kids. That said, I'm worried with late seating we will miss some activities. Can anyone give me any input on this? I'm thinking of shows and activities for the kids in the kids program.

Thanks!

To each his own...no need to bash. I've talked to some friends of mine who have had such miserable times on cruises they've vowed never to step on one one again. One of my favorite expressions: "Different strokes for different folks."

I don't think that I was bashing anyone. They had made valid points and they said that they would sail on her again.

I simply was agreeing with them..........and letting them know that in the days gone by............we have experienced ships even smaller.......and enjoyed them as well.

How do you get "bashing" out of that???:confused:

Rick

We were in an obstructed view cabin - deck 8. Certainly no suite - glad Rick was able to help out there. We were actually in cabin 8540 - listed as 60% obstruction, but the lifeboat was such and room was set up so that you could see the horizon in the direction you faced standing next to the bed. There were lights on outside the window at all times, so the curtains were needed at night.

Glad this uber-long review is useful. I had hoped to have one before our cruise, and thought someone else might be looking for the same kind of subjective info.

Compass scans will be up this afternoon - I still can't find that photo of the jade menu! I know it's here somewhere - actually two photos, with a good amount of camera glare. Anyone seen it lately?

Too Funny - that is the exact cabin my DH and I ALWAYS stayed in on Sovereign and we have that cabin booked for 5 cruises on Monarch next year. Love the location - close to the elevators, and the tiny obstruction is no biggie at all.

I am so excited to see your cruise compass. I would also LOVE to see your photos. I will be on her Dec. 1 Thanks for your review, it was very nice of you to take the time.

Hi

We were on Monarch of the Seas last weekend for 3 nights. What a lovely ship!

We were on late sitting dinner in Vincents and the food and service was excellent. We still had time to make to the shows.

Here is a link to my Monarch photos taken around the ship:=

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/gailoswald/MonarchOfTheSeas#5275277704729885986

Enjoy your cruise.

Gail

Archived