Baby Food?

pyroguy

Our family is going to be going on our first cruise in May 09 on Valor. We will have a 7yo, 5yo and 10 month old at the time of our trip.

We're very new to this...and I love these boards and reviews. Awesome information for the first time cruiser!

As we begin to prepare...one question we have is whether or not we will need to bring a baby food "grinder" for our 10 month old, or if the eateries have accomodations for this.

We already have 2 kids, so we know somewhat where our youngest will be developmentwise during this trip...he will be able to eat some table food, but I think mashed potatoes and cheerios might be a little boring after 7 days!

They don't provide grinders but you should be able to manage without one. I would hate trying to keep one clean. There are many mashable foods and chicken breast is always available. I would probably forego the "perfect mom" diet while cruising and bring along pre-packaged natural baby foods. Have a wonderful time!!

Why do you need a grinder? Both my boys ate table food cut up into bite sized pieces by 8 months. They always ate everything we did cut up by that age. There are plenty of things for that age to eat besides mashed potatoes and cheerios. Eggs, cheese, yogurt, chicken cut into small pieces, pasta, bananas, grapes cut up, veggies chopped up, many other things that a 10 month old should easily be able to eat. My boys loved pasta and sauce, cooked carrots and green beans when they were small. I stopped grinding food before they were 7 months old.

although they may have enjoyed the food you chose to feed them at that age, developmentally it's not the healthiest choice in terms of future digestive health.

Why do you need a grinder? Both my boys ate table food cut up into bite sized pieces by 8 months. They always ate everything we did cut up by that age. There are plenty of things for that age to eat besides mashed potatoes and cheerios. Eggs, cheese, yogurt, chicken cut into small pieces, pasta, bananas, grapes cut up, veggies chopped up, many other things that a 10 month old should easily be able to eat. My boys loved pasta and sauce, cooked carrots and green beans when they were small. I stopped grinding food before they were 7 months old.

although they may have enjoyed the food you chose to feed them at that age, developmentally it's not the healthiest choice in terms of future digestive health.

I am confused by this statement. When my foster daughter was 10 months old, she hated pureed food and refused to eat it. She was eating everything we were eating, cut up into small amounts. She ate lots of fresh veggies, lots of fruit, whole grains and other healthy foods. How could this have been bad for her? It's not like the pp said to feed them french fries and candy, they suggested fruits, veggies, chicken and pasta.

Chewing is the first stage of digestion. It depends on whether or not the child has teeth and can chew not their biological age. If the child is swallowing food that is not mashed either by someone else or their own teeth that leaves the stomach to do the job.

That is not true. Pureed food when they are capable of chewing/gumming food makes it harder later on for them to accept real food textures. You do not need teeth to eat all table food. What isn't healthy about eating table food? You do not need molars to chew/eat soft small pieces of food. Just ask any pediatrician. We're not talking steak. BTW, they are very healthy adults now (and were very healthy, lean, active kids while growing up) who were always good eaters.

Are you an expert on what is "healthy" for digestive health or is this only your opinion?

As we begin to prepare...one question we have is whether or not we will need to bring a baby food "grinder" for our 10 month old, or if the eateries have accomodations for this.

We already have 2 kids, so we know somewhat where our youngest will be developmentwise during this trip...he will be able to eat some table food, but I think mashed potatoes and cheerios might be a little boring after 7 days!

I preferred made by mom baby food, too, but, unless your little one has a health/allergy issue, for a trip like this you might find, as I did, that store bought isn't that bad, and a lot more convenient, for a week.

On the other hand, Carnival does provide special diets for those who request them. You might call and inquire if they can help you or if you need to bring the grinder.

Thanks for the helpful information. He's only 4 months old now, and we're super planners...so we just want to make sure we're prepared. At this point, we have no idea as to what he will or won't eat. Mom's still the favorite now ;-)

We really want this trip to be a lot of fun for everyone...and my main concern is not putting too much on mommy, as this is her vacation too.

Thanks again for the information!

Archived