Cunard's Aquitania Deck Plans

billroddy

From an old folder given to passengers, here are thumbnails of the deck plans.

Thanks for posting. These are usually called 'cut-aways' or 'schematics' - while 'deck plans' are the 'looking down from on top' ones we get in brochures.

Meantime, here's a cut away of Queen Victoria:

18071.JPG

Great post, where did you get the QV cut away from ?

The Cunard Image Library - if you right click on the image (depending on your browser) you should get an option to open the image in a new tab - the url will be there.

Peter

Thanks for posting. These are usually called 'cut-aways' or 'schematics' - while 'deck plans' are the 'looking down from on top' ones we get in brochures.

Meantime, here's a cut away of Queen Victoria:

18071.JPG

Peter,

At the bow, under the water line there are three holes with

x's in them. Could you tell me what they are?

I'm sure they'd be cut to pieces and made into fish bait before anything like that would happen. But actually, I don't think the inside tunnels for the bow thrusters have any actual access to the ship itself. Am I wrong here, anyone? Ron

Ron, quite correct, if they didn't drown (the thrusters are well underwater) they would find no access to the inside of the ship.....and if they turned the thrusters on....instant fish food.....

Peter

Hi Peter,

It was so nice to finally meet you on the Queen Mary 2, October 10, Crossing.

How do I find the Cunard Image Library? Clicking on the image with my Apple wireless Mighty Mouse did not open a new window.

Terrence

Hello Terrence - great to meet you too - and didn't we have fun on the Cavalcade! More people on the QM2 should try it.

The image is here:

http://www.cunardimages.com/ImageDepot/Hires/18071.JPG

Best wishes

Peter

Peter, thanks for the link. I was able to print it.

Why does the QV and most likely the new QE look like stacked cargo ships to me? Do others see that also?

Above my desk is a beautiful 15x20 photo of the Queen Elizabeth 2 sailing north up the Hudson River with the twin towers of the World Trade Center in the background. This was taken before September 2001. The QE2 is so beautiful with its sleek, gracious looking hull. No cruise ship today has that look anymore.

Terrence

Why does the QV and most likely the new QE look like stacked cargo ships to me? Do others see that also?

Above my desk is a beautiful 15x20 photo of the Queen Elizabeth 2 sailing north up the Hudson River with the twin towers of the World Trade Center in the background. This was taken before September 2001. The QE2 is so beautiful with its sleek, gracious looking hull. No cruise ship today has that look anymore.

Terrence,

I think the key word in your post is “today”. The two ships were products of different eras, different economic thinking, and radically different design and engineering methodology and techniques. They were also built to appeal to totally different customer bases. Comparing QV with QE2 is no more valid than comparing the Boeing 747 with the Lockheed Super Constellation, or the Canary Wharf tower with the Tower of London. Evolution is a one-way street.

It would be interesting to meet here again in about 30 years time (if I’m spared, which seems unlikely) and see whether attitudes to QV and QE have changed in comparison with whatever is, by then, the latest thinking in cruise ship design. And, before we all get exercised again about “cookie cutter ships”, here is a quote from Philip Dawson’s book “The liner: retrospective & renaissance”, discussing the establishment in 1838 of Samuel Cunard’s transatlantic mail steamship service:

“Cunard wanted his Atlantic steamships to be as identical as possible , so as to establish a uniform standard of design, performance and operation. For his passengers, a consistency of shipboard design, service and comfort would be identifiable more with the line itself than with any particular ship in its fleet”

Plus ca change…?

Jimmy

And, before we all get exercised again about “cookie cutter ships”, here is a quote from Philip Dawson’s book “The liner: retrospective & renaissance”, discussing the establishment in 1838 of Samuel Cunard’s transatlantic mail steamship service:

“Cunard wanted his Atlantic steamships to be as identical as possible , so as to establish a uniform standard of design, performance and operation. For his passengers, a consistency of shipboard design, service and comfort would be identifiable more with the line itself than with any particular ship in its fleet”

Plus ca change…?

Jimmy

Well said Jimmy! 'Cookie Cutter' ships are an important part of Cunard's heritage too.....and these two will be the biggest and fastest ever.....

Peter

Hi Jimmy,

This is one of the nice features of these Boards that allows all of us to express our views about Cunard and the ships we have sailed on over the years.

Please understand that I do not live in the past and love everything about "today", especially all aspects of technology that provided me with an iMac computer, iPod Touch, Motorola Razr V3 cell phone, digital camera, and a new Lincoln MKS 2009 with a GPS with Sync availability.

However, (here it comes) comparing something from yesterday and today is not the issue here with the look of the QV and the new QE compared to the QE2. When something looks nice and something does not look nice, that's it. If something is ugly, it's ugly regardless of time!

What do you think?

Terrence

Hi Jimmy,

This is one of the nice features of these Boards that allows all of us to express our views about Cunard and the ships we have sailed on over the years.

Please understand that I do not live in the past and love everything about "today", especially all aspects of technology that provided me with an iMac computer, iPod Touch, Motorola Razr V3 cell phone, digital camera, and a new Lincoln MKS 2009 with a GPS with Sync availability.

However, (here it comes) comparing something from yesterday and today is not the issue here with the look of the QV and the new QE compared to the QE2. When something looks nice and something does not look nice, that's it. If something is ugly, it's ugly regardless of time!

What do you think?

Terrence

How right you are. The only good thing about the looks of the new "Queens" is, like when you are aboard a pontoon boat with "RENT ME" on the sides, you can't see how bad it looks from your perch aboard.

Hi Jimmy,

What do you think?

Terrence

Terrence,

I agree with almost every point you have made - and please don't think for even one second that I thought you lived in the past.

In fact, I'm rather suggesting the opposite, and simply speculating about how some of our current ships will be viewed when something like the lifetime of QE2 has elapsed. It's worth remembering that, when she first went into service, QE2 herself was not universally admired, and, in a much shorter time frame, many of the criticisms levelled at QV were also levelled at QM2 (I can well remember liner enthusiasts describing her as a "block of flats" etc etc). When I was a child (more years ago than I am prepared to admit on here) I can remember that just about every product of the Victorian era was universally regarded as ugly (or at best overly fussy), yet these same objects are now highly sought after antiques.

Also, for the record, I happen to think that the Super Constellation was one of the most beautiful civilian aircraft ever produced. Perhaps design has evolved too far in the direction of function at the expense of style.

Jimmy

Terrence,

I agree with almost every point you have made - and please don't think for even one second that I thought you lived in the past.

In fact, I'm rather suggesting the opposite, and simply speculating about how some of our current ships will be viewed when something like the lifetime of QE2 has elapsed. It's worth remembering that, when she first went into service, QE2 herself was not universally admired, and, in a much shorter time frame, many of the criticisms levelled at QV were also levelled at QM2 (I can well remember liner enthusiasts describing her as a "block of flats" etc etc). When I was a child (more years ago than I am prepared to admit on here) I can remember that just about every product of the Victorian era was universally regarded as ugly (or at best overly fussy), yet these same objects are now highly sought after antiques.

Also, for the record, I happen to think that the Super Constellation was one of the most beautiful civilian aircraft ever produced. Perhaps design has evolved too far in the direction of function at the expense of style.

Jimmy

Yes, I agree perhaps design has proceeded too far in the direction of function over style, at least as far as the super ships are concerned. These new ships are meant to accommodate masses of people and satisfy the appetites of those masses, making the super ship as little like a ship as possible. They are meant to be little more than a high rise hotel on water and their creation has almost as much to do with corporate greed as does the greed that has become apart of almost every other corporation in America. Don't take me wrong, I loved the QM2, its stability, its beauty and yes, even its functionality--but as far as a ship's style, it didn't measure up to ships like the QE2 or even the SS Britanis. And the QM2 is far more stylish than the newest of ships. Thirty years from now, perhaps these massive new ships will be the norm and the sleek ships of the past will be thought of only as dated ugly antiques, but for now, there are enough of us that remember what a ship was, to also know what the new super ship is not--and one thing it is not, is stylish.

Archived