This may be a dumb question - but

Activated95b

On my Nov 22 cruise on the Oosterdam I noticed a switch just inside the door to my cabin that had a green light (illuminated) and a red light that was not lit (presumably because the switch was in the 'green' position).

I never touched this switch because my background is one where you never touch a switch or control unless you know _exactly_ what will happen if you do.

Can anybody tell me what that switch does?

On my Nov 22 cruise on the Oosterdam I noticed a switch just inside the door to my cabin that had a green light (illuminated) and a red light that was not lit (presumably because the switch was in the 'green' position).

I never touched this switch because my background is one where you never touch a switch or control unless you know _exactly_ what will happen if you do.

Can anybody tell me what that switch does?

I'll ask tomorrow! :D:D

I'm betting that it was a light switch & the red light was there to help you locate it in the dark..

John you are a riot! :D:D Being the curious person that I am, I probably would have flicked the switch & turned off all the Navigation Lights on the Bridge...:eek::eek:

Will someone please come back to tell us what it is, so I'll be able to sleep tonight..;)

Cheers..:)Betty

Opens the scuttle valves on the ship. It's next to the door so you can activate it after you put on your life jackets on your way to the lifeboats. :)

OMG...That too is a Riot!:D:D Can't stop laughing!

Just got off the Maasdam Friday & don't remember a switch like that..I'm happily planning & downloading suggestions for our next cruise which is 11 months 5 days 13 hours & 46 minutes away while DH is nagging me to make Supper & to finish decorating the Christmas tree..Hope I don't have to wait that long to check out the switch!

Maybe, we'll get an answer to the question before our bedtime!

Bye for now..:).Betty

I've never seen them, but my guess would be that it's a digital version of the ol' "Do Not Disturb" sign. Green means it's ok to come in and clean, red means stay out. We had at the last hotel we stayed at and I assumed that's what it was for, but I too never asked. ;)

This light is a small rechargeable portable flashlight that automatically lights if the power goes off (and the switch is turned to green).

They could originally be removed and used as a flashlight, but too many passengers stole them. So they had to super-glue them in place to protect the safety system of the ship.

This light is a small rechargeable portable flashlight that automatically lights if the power goes off (and the switch is turned to green).

They could originally be removed and used as a flashlight, but too many passengers stole them. So they had to super-glue them in place to protect the safety system of the ship.

Aha, emergency lighting! Kinda like the much bigger ones you find in public stairwells.

C'mon now, how simple this is! Red means stop. Green means go.

When your little light is green you may leave your cabin. When it is red, you must remain inside.

These lights are obviously meant assist with crowd control in the Lido, and promote rotational deck chair useage.

:rolleyes:

This tricky little light switch is one of those "cruise ship secrets" HAL doesn't want you to know about. If you flip the switch, your room is automatically transformed into an SA suite with personal butler. Shhhhh don't tell anyone!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

C'mon now, how simple this is! Red means stop. Green means go.

When your little light is green you may leave your cabin. When it is red, you must remain inside.

These lights are obviously meant assist with crowd control in the Lido, and promote rotational deck chair useage.

:rolleyes:

Too funny!

I asked my room stewart when on the O a few weeks ago. It has to do with emergency lightig and it doesn't matter if you flip the switch or not.

Yes it does. If it is switched to red, it will NOT start burning if regular power fails. More of a chance to trip over stuff in your cabin on the way to the door. So best to leave it on GREEN....

Yes it does. If it is switched to red, it will NOT start burning if regular power fails. More of a chance to trip over stuff in your cabin on the way to the door. So best to leave it on GREEN....

Hey Oz, since it's a relatively small unit, when it lights up in the case of a power failure, does it just give ambient lighting in the "hallway" outside the bathroom or is it bright enough to give a bit of lighting to the entire cabin?

Hey Oz, since it's a relatively small unit, when it lights up in the case of a power failure, does it just give ambient lighting in the "hallway" outside the bathroom or is it bright enough to give a bit of lighting to the entire cabin?

It's really only to find your way to the door of your cabin without breaking your neck, once in the hallway there are more emergency lights to find your way around the rest of the ship. As for the bathroom, you're gonna have to learn to aim in the dark, or make your way to the public toilets, there should be emergency lighting in there.

FYI: if you walk around the ship and look at the light fixtures, you may notice some have a red dot next to them. These are the lights that are on emergency power and will keep burning in case of a regular power failure.

It's really only to find your way to the door of your cabin without breaking your neck, once in the hallway there are more emergency lights to find your way around the rest of the ship. As for the bathroom, you're gonna have to learn to aim in the dark, or make your way to the public toilets, there should be emergency lighting in there.

FYI: if you walk around the ship and look at the light fixtures, you may notice some have a red dot next to them. These are the lights that are on emergency power and will keep burning in case of a regular power failure.

Got ya, thanks! I have seen the emergency lighting in the hallways activated during crew only drills - kinda like a commercial aircraft; follow the white to the red; red leads to an exit

My aim in the dark's getting better!;)

On a sidenote, how does the crew board the self-inflating life rafts after they are deployed in the water? Do they "jump in" and swim to them? Unlike the lifeboats, there are no davits for them, correct?

Archived